Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Kman101

Hopefully the Tikis remain. The below is not a hysterical overreaction to something that may not even happen but aladdin2007's comment got me thinking.

We need to face it folks, the majority audience for these parks has changed. Meet N Greets, selfies 'n' screens and 5 minute-or-less rides are what these people want. The epic omnimover days are long long gone. And sadly, if not now, eventually so will go the Tiki Room, CoP, etc. I can get angry about it all I want, or I can finally resign myself to the fact that a place I loved more than any in the world is changing in too many significant ways that are important to me past a point of no return. I do plan on at least going back within the next few years and see the new stuff, but going every year seems absurd to me now. Which is sad in itself because I used to be the one rolling my eyes and getting annoyed at friends who gave me the "you're going again?!?" routine. Back then, I felt justified in thinking "they just don't get it"....if it were happening now I'd be more like "you know, you have a point."

I agree to a certain extent. Many don't get it because they think it's "a kiddy park" and some find out that, hey, it's not. But it's kinda slipping into one. Not overall but it's getting there.

The tipping point for me isn't because they may or may not remove the birds, I don't like it, but it's a symptom of a bigger issue with how they run the parks and for me it's often a few steps forward and numerous steps backwards. When I think they get it they show me they don't.

I think it's time to start visiting the other Disney parks. But it's hard to give up something that's an hour and half away from me. And I still find enjoyment in a lot of things.

doctornick

@marni1971 So in response to discussion in a previous thread, will the Tiki Room largely remain as is but with added elements of a new IP? Something along the lines of Under New Management? I'm assuming the most relevant option is Moana.

Just to put it in thread where it is relevant, this was the comment by @marni1971...

The building and format will remain.

That suggests to me that there will still be a show in the Tiki Room. It just might not be the specific birdies and music we are used to.

Fable McCloud

I've still never actually seen the Tiki Room show. The good one at least. When I went on my first trip it was the "Under New Management" garbage, and when I went for the 2nd time, the fire had happened and closed the attraction. We're going in October and by golly I'm gonna sit and watch the cute birds and their dated, cheesy shtick. I've loved the attraction for so long, I just want to see it in person once before they go and change it all into something modern. Those birds are still amazing and I hope whatever fate befalls them they'll survive to see another great attraction and become a part of it.

Bocabear

I've still never actually seen the Tiki Room show. The good one at least. When I went on my first trip it was the "Under New Management" garbage, and when I went for the 2nd time, the fire had happened and closed the attraction. We're going in October and by golly I'm gonna sit and watch the cute birds and their dated, cheesy shtick. I've loved the attraction for so long, I just want to see it in person once before they go and change it all into something modern. Those birds are still amazing and I hope whatever fate befalls them they'll survive to see another great attraction and become a part of it.
It is a shame you will never be able to see the whole original show with the enchanted fountain and the full Offenback number...It was a very sweet show that current audiences would not sit through... The current running show is shorter and the original fountain was gutted when they put in the Stitch overlay for Uh-Oah

tirian

It is a shame you will never be able to see the whole original show with the enchanted fountain and the full Offenback number...It was a very sweet show that current audiences would not sit through... The current running show is shorter and the original fountain was gutted when they put in the Stitch overlay for Uh-Oah
It was an awful Iago/Zazu overlay, not Stitch. ;)

Bocabear

Actually they could just freshen up some of the in-theater effects and make it a little more... exciting and it would be fine... The theater is beautiful and the show is completely unique...That said, I would rather them create a new show using the existing theater and birds etc, than have it go away or become a dining room... That was my very favorite thing as a kid...from the first time I saw it in 1971...it was a wow . The whole pavilion was... The pre show with it's flames and magic waterfall, the Sunshine Tree Terrace with it's Ornge tree canopy of acrylic leaves and animatronic Orange Bird...even the lights had moving diffusers to look as though sunshine wereshining through the leaves of the tree...It was beautiful, and sadly gone... I hope they can at least save the soul of this beautiful placemaking attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom