Buses

flynnibus

Premium Member
Always wondered why WDW does not use dynamic routing for buses, TV camera at each stop and just monitor the queues perhaps even allow the lowly driver to change destination if there are a bunch who want to go to location X but scheduled for Y and there are 1-2 patrons for Y

Apparently they do - they just do it based on old radio calls, and modeling, etc instead of active monitoring and polling.

SSH

When you all stay on property and drive your own vehicles to the parks, where do you park when going to the MK?
I'm from FL and drive in, but was like you...always considered the MK bus option a big perk and time saver. Never thought I'd ever bother driving to MK again and dealing with T&TC, once I started staying at WDW.

But the return bus experience has been so unpleasant the last few times coming back from MK at night, that I'm going to try driving instead. At least with the ferry, you can pack a lot of people on, so you don't have to wait too long most times. Plus, we stay at POP. I think it's among the furthest away from MK. So we're talking an unpleasant and looong bus ride.

Mista C

My parents are lifestylers in their 70's that still go to WDW 2-3 times per year. They stay at POFQ every single time that they go. I don't know how they have been able to continue doing this, with the increased security, but every single trip they drive their car from POFQ to the GF, park the car in the lot, and hop on the boat over to the MK. I think that they tell security that they are there to eat, but how they manage to do this time after time is beyond me.

JohnD

Original Poster
I just returned from being there Nov. 8-11. In all my years, my philosophy has always been that once I drive into the resort parking lot and park my vehicle, I do not even think about stepping foot into it until I'm packing it up to drive home. I just enjoy that "Disney Bubble" and getting into my vehicle and driving from my resort to a park just does not feel right. It's something that I do in the real world every day, so it's the last thing I want to do when I'm here. I hate it.

But I must say, this past week, bus service was indeed insane. We stayed at POFQ and typically do not have any issues. But the sheer volume of people waiting at the bus stop, at all different times of the day mind you, was overwhelming. Even at 3pm the MK stop was always packed. One morning at about 8:30, three HS buses pulled in, one after the other, with no one waiting to go to that park... while the MK mob just continued to grow. That evening we were going to HS to see the Osborne Lights and the bus stop was jammed. I actually went against my typical protocol and grabbed my keys, hopped in my vehicle, and was at HS in five minutes. I have to admit, it was kinda nice. It still stunk that I was driving my vehicle while on vacation, but avoiding the bus mess was worth it. I probably would not mind in the future just driving myself to HS, AK, or EPCOT, because they each have their own parking lots right in front of the park. But I do not think that you could pay me to drive my own vehicle to the MK and have to park at the T&TC. When you all stay on property and drive your own vehicles to the parks, where do you park when going to the MK?

After driving to AK on Friday, I found it to be relatively hassle free. I was parked close enough to the entrance that I didn't need a tram to get me to my car. Regarding MK, the proper answer is to drive through the entrance gate and park in the TTC parking lot where directed. Last Monday, I had an ADR at Kona Cafe and drove to the Poly. (This had nothing to do with the bus experience above. I took a mid-afternoon break and left my room at 5pm for a 5:35pm ADR. Quicker to drive). So, I left my car at the Poly while hopping back into MK for the evening as well as doing FerryTale Wishes.

JohnD

Original Poster
These people having to lean on the wall, sit on the ground, and generally bake in the sun reminds me of the pure comedy when other users said the barren chain queues are preferred and bus stops are just fine.

Yeah, and I was dealing with major allergies with the potential to develop into something else (didn't get sick, fortunately). So here I am, having just taken an Aleve to keep potential temperature down and baking in the sun for 45 minutes. Actually, I sat on shaded bench when the line was small but then no bus and the line begins to build so I had no choice but to claim my place in line.

daisyduckie

daisyduckie

When you all stay on property and drive your own vehicles to the parks, where do you park when going to the MK?
I'm from FL and drive in, but was like you...always considered the MK bus option a big perk and time saver. Never thought I'd ever bother driving to MK again and dealing with T&TC, once I started staying at WDW.

But the return bus experience has been so unpleasant the last few times coming back from MK at night, that I'm going to try driving instead. At least with the ferry, you can pack a lot of people on, so you don't have to wait too long most times. Plus, we stay at POP. I think it's among the furthest away from MK. So we're talking an unpleasant and looong bus ride.

I stayed at the Pop for the first time last month. Loved the resort. Hated the location of the bus stops at the parks. It became a joke to just look for the bus stop that was the farthest away from the park, and that would be where we needed to go.

AlanaH

I don't drive, so I am seeing this a bus rider. I have to wait for a bus about 10 min. I had one time could get one bus, and one we a waited at 2 min, and we go the ride "home" we just the two of use!

For a bus ride, it is wonderful.

JohnD

Original Poster
I stayed at the Pop for the first time last month. Loved the resort. Hated the location of the bus stops at the parks. It became a joke to just look for the bus stop that was the farthest away from the park, and that would be where we needed to go.

True. Bus stops for the values are the farthest away at each park.

Tom P.

The bus stops with queues don't bother me. After all, when you leave the park to go back to your resort, you're waiting in a queue. The only thing that bothers me is people being left out in the elements with no covering of any sort.

Our most recent stay was at Art of Animation. The queues worked very well and we never had to wait too long for a bus. What struck me as odd, though, is that the queues for Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, the water parks, and Disney Springs were all covered while the queue for Magic Kingdom was not. Why would you offer covered queues for everything except the single most popular place at Walt Disney World? Didn't really make much sense.

Innkeeper's Club

Apparently they do - they just do it based on old radio calls, and modeling, etc instead of active monitoring and polling.
Some of the resorts have added bus monitors that says an approximate time when the next bus for each destination is supposed to arrive, so eventually all WDW Resorts will have it at their bus stations. This past August when I stayed at the Boardwalk Inn they had it and when I took the buses to the Magic Kingdom and Disney Springs, each time the bus came right before or at the time that was listed.

JohnD

Original Poster
Some of the resorts have added bus monitors that says an approximate time when the next bus for each destination is supposed to arrive. This past August when I stayed at the Boardwalk Inn and took the buses to the Magic Kingdom and Disney Springs, each time the bus came right before or at the time that was listed.

Yeah. All Star Movies had one. Didn't do us much good. Still had a 45 minute wait for the next bus.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Some of the resorts have added bus monitors that says an approximate time when the next bus for each destination is supposed to arrive, so eventually all WDW Resorts will have it at their bus stations. This past August when I stayed at the Boardwalk Inn they had it and when I took the buses to the Magic Kingdom and Disney Springs, each time the bus came right before or at the time that was listed.

Yes, they have displays.. but that is simply telling you what the bus route is planned... not polling the bus station to know what buses are needed. Two differrent topics :)

Omi19

The Animal Kingdom Lodge buses were the best ever during our recent stay, and we've been at that resort more than ten times. When Boardwalk, Beach and Yacht Clubs and Swan/Dolphin shared buses, it was very challenging. A member of management was at the bus stop and heard my concern. Years went by without any change. Good to know it has been improved.

Innkeeper's Club

Yes, they have displays.. but that is simply telling you what the bus route is planned... not polling the bus station to know what buses are needed. Two differrent topics :)
I disagree that it's two different topics. With the monitors at least you can see when approximately the next bus is to arrive for wherever you are going. So at least the people waiting know that it is coming and even if no one gets on it's still going to arrive.

HauntedMansionFLA

Yes, and more guests in general. But then people like me have grown weary of the buses and will be renting a car on property next time.
What's the best way to avoid bus transportation ? Stay at the Poly, monorail to MK and EPCOT? Stay at Beach or Yacht Club, walk to DHS and EPCOT ?

Innkeeper's Club

What's the best way to avoid bus transportation ? Stay at the Poly, monorail to MK and EPCOT? Stay at Beach or Yacht Club, walk to DHS and EPCOT ?
I say the Yacht or Beach Club for these reasons. No matter if you stay there or even the Boardwalk, Swan or Dolphin, you still only need to take a bus to the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach and Disney Springs/Typhoon Lagoon. Then again I prefer the Epcot Resort Area itself because of the fact that we can walk to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

HauntedMansionFLA

I say the Yacht or Beach Club for these reasons. No matter if you stay there or even the Boardwalk, Swan or Dolphin, you still only need to take a bus to the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach and Disney Springs/Typhoon Lagoon. Then again I prefer the Epcot Resort Area itself because of the fact that we can walk to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios.
What type of wait did you have regarding the MK busses? It's probably a 10 minute bus ride. We are going down to WDW next December. So, the holiday offerings will be fun. I'm starting to think the EPCOT will offer more holiday fun than the MK. Does the BC / YC have the monitors showing when the next bus is due to come?

Innkeeper's Club

What type of wait did you have regarding the MK busses? It's probably a 10 minute bus ride. We are going down to WDW next December. So, the holiday offerings will be fun. I'm starting to think the EPCOT will offer more holiday fun than the MK. Does the BC / YC have the monitors showing when the next bus is due to come?
During my last trip which was this past August I want to say that I waited maybe 5 - 10 minutes at the Boardwalk for the Magic Kingdom bus. However it was in the early morning before it opened and the bus arrived right when the monitors said it would. Also it did not stop at the Swan and Dolphin like it usually does, so it went directly to the Magic Kingdom. I also have no idea if the Yacht Club or Beach Club has those monitors since I didn't end up stopping there when coming back on the bus from Disney Springs.

Tom

Beta Return

Unless you only plan to go to one park, you can't avoid buses even at those resorts. And buses at the monorail resorts and Wilderness Lodge are often combined with 2 or more resorts (i.e. Poly/GF), meaning it could be full before it even gets to your resort. That happened to us at the GF on Tuesday. DHS bus pulled up, had room for 2 people, and there were 20 of us waiting.

We're going to take DME to property in January, but rent a car from the Car Care Center once there. We'll be split staying GFV/BLT so we'll take boats (or walk) to the MK, but will drive to all other parks. With the 1-year-old, we don't even trust the monorails to stay running, and we're not willing to be stuck on one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom