Buses

blueboxdoctor

It definitely seems like the buses have been limited in recent years. May just be my lack of patience, but it does seem like buses take longer to arrive. Though, it may also be partly due to these new buses having less available seating the traditional buses they used to use. Obviously it's good that the new buses are handicap accessible, but it seems they had to sacrifice seating to do so, which in turn will make wait times longer.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
How did you handle the ecvs?

Don't even get me started. I had to fold the third row of seats into the floor and heft the ECV in. In the case of someone who had to remain in a wheelchair, I tried the bungee cord the wheel chair into the back of the two seats that comprise the middle row as best I could, but I found out from Mr. Policeman that my setup wasn't legal. The worst thing I did was hand out an extra water bottle to this dude. Somehow, word spread all over WDW that if you got in the maroon minivan there was free beverage service.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Don't even get me started. I had to fold the third row of seats into the floor and heft the ECV in. In the case of someone who had to remain in a wheelchair, I tried the bungee cord the wheel chair into the back of the two seats that comprise the middle row as best I could, but I found out from Mr. Policeman that my setup wasn't legal. The worst thing I did was hand out an extra water bottle to this dude. Somehow, word spread all over WDW that if you got in the maroon minivan there was free beverage service.
What did you do for h2o intolerant guests?

jlsHouston

How awful. I wait about 10 minutes and then I grab a cab. I have no patience and thankfully, no small children, so I can grab the first available cab.

I'm telling you, I've only stayed at Disney once without a car....I got a phobia going with buses...

JohnD

Original Poster
My last day was Friday. I was heading to a central Florida homecoming weekend that evening. Had thought about luggage service picking up and storing my stuff while I bused to and from AK. Well, as "luck" would have it, I went to my car only to find it was dead. After a jump, and replacement of the battery at Disney Car Care, knowing my past experience with the bus, I loaded up the car and decided to drive directly to AK instead. Best decision I made to avoid the time taken up by the buses. But then ended up on I-4...

jlsHouston

My last day was Friday. I was heading to a central Florida homecoming weekend that evening. Had thought about luggage service picking up and storing my stuff while I bused to and from AK. Well, as "luck" would have it, I went to my car only to find it was dead. After a jump, and replacement of the battery at Disney Car Care, knowing my past experience with the bus, I loaded up the car and decided to drive directly to AK instead. Best decision I made to avoid the time taken up by the buses. But then ended up on I-4...
Lol it sounds like it might have been the lesser of the evils though

Jon81uk

I know it has been going for a while, so it may not be that much of a factor, but do you think more guests are now aware of Magical Express and therefore less guests are using cars? Less cars means more people using buses.

Tom

Beta Return
I know it has been going for a while, so it may not be that much of a factor, but do you think more guests are now aware of Magical Express and therefore less guests are using cars? Less cars means more people using buses.
Yes, and more guests in general. But then people like me have grown weary of the buses and will be renting a car on property next time.

DisneyFans4Life

I think it's just more people from out of state in general. I think the increase in people who fly in versus drive in make the buses more crowded. On the flip side, if you had more people driving in, the buses would be emptier, but the streets would be more crowded and then people would complain about traffic. If it's not one thing it's another...

JohnD

Original Poster
Yes, and more guests in general. But then people like me have grown weary of the buses and will be renting a car on property next time.

Or in my case being a Florida Resident and arriving to WDW by car, driving to each park. I'm staying at a resort and get free parking anyway. Did that for AK on Friday as I had already checked out, had same day free parking, and had to get to my next destination that evenlng. It was hassle-free. Makes me rethink using buses in the future

Mista C

I just returned from being there Nov. 8-11. In all my years, my philosophy has always been that once I drive into the resort parking lot and park my vehicle, I do not even think about stepping foot into it until I'm packing it up to drive home. I just enjoy that "Disney Bubble" and getting into my vehicle and driving from my resort to a park just does not feel right. It's something that I do in the real world every day, so it's the last thing I want to do when I'm here. I hate it.

But I must say, this past week, bus service was indeed insane. We stayed at POFQ and typically do not have any issues. But the sheer volume of people waiting at the bus stop, at all different times of the day mind you, was overwhelming. Even at 3pm the MK stop was always packed. One morning at about 8:30, three HS buses pulled in, one after the other, with no one waiting to go to that park... while the MK mob just continued to grow. That evening we were going to HS to see the Osborne Lights and the bus stop was jammed. I actually went against my typical protocol and grabbed my keys, hopped in my vehicle, and was at HS in five minutes. I have to admit, it was kinda nice. It still stunk that I was driving my vehicle while on vacation, but avoiding the bus mess was worth it. I probably would not mind in the future just driving myself to HS, AK, or EPCOT, because they each have their own parking lots right in front of the park. But I do not think that you could pay me to drive my own vehicle to the MK and have to park at the T&TC. When you all stay on property and drive your own vehicles to the parks, where do you park when going to the MK?

DisneyFans4Life

I just returned from being there Nov. 8-11. In all my years, my philosophy has always been that once I drive into the resort parking lot and park my vehicle, I do not even think about stepping foot into it until I'm packing it up to drive home. I just enjoy that "Disney Bubble" and getting into my vehicle and driving from my resort to a park just does not feel right. It's something that I do in the real world every day, so it's the last thing I want to do when I'm here. I hate it.

But I must say, this past week, bus service was indeed insane. We stayed at POFQ and typically do not have any issues. But the sheer volume of people waiting at the bus stop, at all different times of the day mind you, was overwhelming. Even at 3pm the MK stop was always packed. One morning at about 8:30, three HS buses pulled in, one after the other, with no one waiting to go to that park... while the MK mob just continued to grow. That evening we were going to HS to see the Osborne Lights and the bus stop was jammed. I actually went against my typical protocol and grabbed my keys, hopped in my vehicle, and was at HS in five minutes. I have to admit, it was kinda nice. It still stunk that I was driving my vehicle while on vacation, but avoiding the bus mess was worth it. I probably would not mind in the future just driving myself to HS, AK, or EPCOT, because they each have their own parking lots right in front of the park. But I do not think that you could pay me to drive my own vehicle to the MK and have to park at the T&TC. When you all stay on property and drive your own vehicles to the parks, where do you park when going to the MK?
When going to MK, you have to park at the T&TC and then hop a monorail or ferry to the gate. I agree that taking a bus to MK is definitely worth it. Like you, I found myself driving to the other parks because I didn't want to deal with all the stops that POR had. Plus...if you have a kid, it's not exactly easy to have to fold up the stroller, grab your bags, kid, etc. and hold it all while on the bus.

flynnibus

Premium Member
image-jpg.118935

These people having to lean on the wall, sit on the ground, and generally bake in the sun reminds me of the pure comedy when other users said the barren chain queues are preferred and bus stops are just fine.

SAV

When you all stay on property and drive your own vehicles to the parks, where do you park when going to the MK?

Park at the T&TC then hop the tram to the Monrail and then in. To me, hearing the Monorail spiel is the start of my trip to MK. One time the Monorail line was so long we decided to take a bus from the T&TC to the entrance and it just wasn't the same for me. I felt like I missed out. If you factor in the total trip from the parking lot/bus stop to the gates, it is most likely equal at MK. All other parks I find it quicker to drive myself.

I'd rather drive myself and return to my own personal space in a quiet car than have to jam onto a loud bus crowded with other people.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Cutting back on bus service does though.

Don't ruin the plot...
The answer can only be
- more people leaving in a more concentrated period of time
- less throughput pulling people out of the bus stops

You hear about several buses coming at once (potentially good response to the crowd) - but unless people say there was a absence of buses prior.. some other behavior change must be going on to cause these backups.

It's not just more guests... something about the patterns or bus service itself has to be in play as well

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Don't ruin the plot...
The answer can only be
- more people leaving in a more concentrated period of time
- less throughput pulling people out of the bus stops

You hear about several buses coming at once (potentially good response to the crowd) - but unless people say there was a absence of buses prior.. some other behavior change must be going on to cause these backups.

It's not just more guests... something about the patterns or bus service itself has to be in play as well

Always wondered why WDW does not use dynamic routing for buses, TV camera at each stop and just monitor the queues perhaps even allow the lowly driver to change destination if there are a bunch who want to go to location X but scheduled for Y and there are 1-2 patrons for Y

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom