Building Spaceship Earth

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
I had to do a forum search to find this thread. I don't want it to get lost, so I just popped in to say that this project is incredible and massively impressive. Bravo, and I look forward to the next update.

Well it went rather quiet, work and private life are taking their toll. But i haven't abandoned the project. But thanks to all the support i got on this (thank you all!) i will keep going no matter what. (Like a bulldozer, slow and steady)

Since i had the displeasure earlier this year to experience the Harry Potter trainride and feeling pretty ripped off. It's the same idea i had planned for part of the Horizons ride concept. But the 3D window technology i conceptualised is missing. (One thing i never communicated about in the past as the technology might be patentable.) Long story short, i don't show much of the progress recently, especially the parts NOT currently existing in Epcot. I will make that public when the time comes, but not before i teased the Imagineering department with it. :D
I hope you guys understand why i am becoming more secretive of the progress, but rest assured,
cool things are coming. Take control of a fully functional Monorail??? Well, take a look at the video and ask again ^^

Happy Holidays!

Flippin'Flounder

Well it went rather quiet, work and private life are taking their toll. But i haven't abandoned the project. But thanks to all the support i got on this (thank you all!) i will keep going no matter what. (Like a bulldozer, slow and steady)

Since i had the displeasure earlier this year to experience the Harry Potter trainride and feeling pretty ripped off. It's the same idea i had planned for part of the Horizons ride concept. But the 3D window technology i conceptualised is missing. (One thing i never communicated about in the past as the technology might be patentable.) Long story short, i don't show much of the progress recently, especially the parts NOT currently existing in Epcot. I will make that public when the time comes, but not before i teased the Imagineering department with it. :D
I hope you guys understand why i am becoming more secretive of the progress, but rest assured,
cool things are coming. Take control of a fully functional Monorail??? Well, take a look at the video and ask again ^^

Happy Holidays!

Awesome! Glad this is still coming along!

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
Well that came out wrong. I wasn't trying to say or suggest the idea got stolen, it's likely a coincidence. What i WAS saying is that i'm rather a bit too cautious instead of not being cautious enough. :)

What you see in the pictures is roughly the level of detail the Epcot model will be at once it's done. It will be a horrendous amount of data,
at some point it will become very complicated to manage the x-thousand models (with a lot of high poly models)

The monorail's full detail version has around 130,000,000 polygons, while still not being fully done.
I'm also planning to simultaneously extract a game-engine-ready low poly model once i'm far enough to start with the surface mapping and shading.

One thing i would like to mention about the monorail. This was entirely done from picture reference. I haven't had access to even a single blueprint, and it took a lot of trial and error as picture reference is always a little deceiving, things look different when you see them from different angles. And there isn't always photo reference available for every part. Saying it was complicated to get the proportions right, would be quite an understatement. In the picture you can see a good example for the proportions complexity. I'll point it out below the pictures, to not spoil what i'm trying to say. :D

WDW_Monorail_Cbn_wipShot-PB-WM_016-01_4K-med.jpg
WDW_Monorail_Cpit_wipShot-PB-WM_103-01_4K-med.jpg

Ok, what i was trying to point out is the console, it's too big and some details hadn't been corrected yet. But you wouldn't notice if i hadn't told you. That's the trouble, and fun, with using pictures for reference.

I'll do one more update this year in form of a new wipReel, which i'm still editing. I don't know how much time i'll be able to devote to he project next year, but surely it's not off the table.

Speaking of picture reference, if you have good pictures, send me a pm, i still need more pictures to finish the monorail.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Thanks so much, Voxel!
I'll keep going until i finish the park's model and my conceptual draft, no matter what happens.
Do you have experience with the Unity Engine?
It's looking good, I can't wait to see the final product.
I'm actually messing with the Unity Engine right now, I'm trying to expand my grasp of it for my personal use and because it's looking like I'll be using it for work for a few months.

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
It's been a couple days. ;). Lol. Take your time, and keep up all the great work! I've been sending your videos to a few of my Disney fanatic fans that arnt on the forum.

Thanks Voxel! :)
And sorry! Didn't mean to make you wait, i just feel like that rabbit in Alice sometimes. So much to do, so little time.

I just wanted to congratulate you on your hard work and progress and hope that you will continue with your project.
Thank you for the kind words! Even though i find little time for the project at the moment, i have no intention to stop.

I am a bit more active on my Twitter account recently, so i will also post updates and pictures on there.
Follow @Epcot3D :)

What's to say about the project? I think i'm a bit overwhelmed with all the attention this currently gets. Don't get me wrong, of course i like attention just like anyone else, but this puts me under more pressure than i would like to have regarding the model.
I will not be able to spend any time on it until February, as i have to look after my parents more often and often recently who are both not well, then there's work and my music, which i also hardly find any time for (it's just gonna be a matter of years until i finish that album :banghead: )
Actually i have to hurry up a bit with my post as i gotta leave in two hours to meet my dad for an appointment at the hospital, he's getting a treatment. With this in mind, the model is my therapeutic outlet, and it's not something i'm just doing for the heck of it either, of course.

How did it actually start? "One little spark", is so true with this project. I always, always wanted to build a virtual environment of Epcot to be able to get creative with. But a decade ago the technical necessities weren't quite good enough and i still s.. was bad at modeling.
Then, in 2011 i felt like i was skilled enough to realise an idea (plenty of) i have for my own version of Horizons. BUUUUT i was still just at the verge of being able to build what i had in mind exactly. So i shifted my concentration on the surroundings, I plotted out a proper grid to
be able to keep as true to scale as possible. Then i thought, hey, why not also include the support structures of, say, the SSE pavilion. And so on. Endless story. What was i actually trying to say? This project isn't something i take lightly, i have a clear goal with this.
Thanks all for your kind support about this project! Really, thank you!

This year will be turbulent i think, so i can't make any predictions on the progress, for now at least.
But progress will happen! :cool:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Actually @Pionmycake @kmbmw777 and others who are becoming more active here -- should check out this thread and the video a few posts above. I think you'd enjoy it.
Thanks for letting me know about this! This is ridiculously impressive. I tried to learn 3d modeling before and could barely make a plain sphere. I can't imagine how much skill and effort must've gone into this!

kmbmw777

Actually @Pionmycake @kmbmw777 and others who are becoming more active here -- should check out this thread and the video a few posts above. I think you'd enjoy it.
I just got to look through this. All I have to say is This is the most incredible thing I have seen yet. I really hope that this is still in progress. It kind of inspires me to figure out how to use Blender :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom