Building Spaceship Earth

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
... Wow. :jawdrop: You, sir, have talent. :D;)

Lookin' really good! Great work!

Thank you so much for the compliments! :)

Happy holidays to all.

And @Voxel, thank you so much for taking the pics for me! That was awesome of you! :D

PS: new wipReel goes online on Epcot3D (youtube) in the next couple days.
more updates on the model next year. I'm gonna stop working on the model for a few weeks.

JoseLorenzo

Amazing job!!!!!
You are very good at this! Why don't you work for Disney?
Anyway, I wanted to ask you what's 3DS Max? I have AutoCad can I use it to design so realistic things like you?
And also what did you study? And where do you work right now?

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
Amazing job!!!!!
You are very good at this! Why don't you work for Disney?
Anyway, I wanted to ask you what's 3DS Max? I have AutoCad can I use it to design so realistic things like you?
And also what did you study? And where do you work right now?

Thank you!
I wouldn't say no. :)

Max and AutoCAD are both from Autdesk, you can achieve great models in both packages,
but with different approaches.
You could also use CAD to model (or even use existing object blueprints)
and assemble your model, then import it into max for the detail work.

If you wanted to create a representable park model for any purpose you could also do a great job with AutoCAD, even to a very decent level. It's an architectural program, so it could do the job. However, CAD is useless when you want to model organic shapes (or natural shapes, crevices, bumps, texture, scratches and such)

I studied audio engineering, the 3D i taught myself. I work with max for about 9 or 10 years now, only a few years ago i became really good at it. It's a steep learning curve, but if you are really devoted to the concept of 3D modeling you will understand it better with each year and be able to make some very decent models. Takes a lot of time, though. Both to learn and to build.
The modeling technique i'm using on the Epcot model is called Turbosmooth modeling,
or high-poly control line modeling. It's slightly different from an approach to i.e. a game-friendly environment.
It's a good starting point when starting with 3D, to get acquainted with the different uses of a 3D model and the neccessary approach to achieve the respective goal.

My work, tough question, very hard to explain.
I have a regular job that has nothing to do with either music or 3D, to pay my bills.
On top of that i make music http://doublespin.rocks and am building up my little Youtube network,
and do 3D animation for my content and models like this giant golf ball, and my Horizons concept.
I also did a few acting jobs in small roles and as an extra for German TV,
i love films & attractions, the aspect of telling a story, and want to "breathe" in all the experience i can get.
In short, i do waay too much, but i love doing it. :D

Back to the model and why it looks this way:
All there is right now is a sun light with a properly set daylight system and FinalGather indirect illumination,
i didn't apply any shaders or textures apart from the SSE mural yet,
to save on overall performance while building.
All the objects just get a color code similar to their original counterpart's color.
Once i start to apply shaders and textures the whole model will start to look much different yet again.
But at the same time, the performance need will rise significantly. (I will reach a point where a single-rendered picture (30 per second for animation (or 24 respectively)) would take me up to 4 days to render, to achieve a decent quality with my current laptop and a few older machines (to help speed up the renderings.)) I will not mention the drop to 2fps refresh rate in 3Ds max when the model gets to that stage.. ^^

Do you use AutoCAD often, or have any previous experience with it?

JoseLorenzo

Thank you!
I wouldn't say no. :)

Max and AutoCAD are both from Autdesk, you can achieve great models in both packages,
but with different approaches.
You could also use CAD to model (or even use existing object blueprints)
and assemble your model, then import it into max for the detail work.

If you wanted to create a representable park model for any purpose you could also do a great job with AutoCAD, even to a very decent level. It's an architectural program, so it could do the job. However, CAD is useless when you want to model organic shapes (or natural shapes, crevices, bumps, texture, scratches and such)

I studied audio engineering, the 3D i taught myself. I work with max for about 9 or 10 years now, only a few years ago i became really good at it. It's a steep learning curve, but if you are really devoted to the concept of 3D modeling you will understand it better with each year and be able to make some very decent models. Takes a lot of time, though. Both to learn and to build.
The modeling technique i'm using on the Epcot model is called Turbosmooth modeling,
or high-poly control line modeling. It's slightly different from an approach to i.e. a game-friendly environment.
It's a good starting point when starting with 3D, to get acquainted with the different uses of a 3D model and the neccessary approach to achieve the respective goal.

My work, tough question, very hard to explain.
I have a regular job that has nothing to do with either music or 3D, to pay my bills.
On top of that i make music http://doublespin.rocks and am building up my little Youtube network,
and do 3D animation for my content and models like this giant golf ball, and my Horizons concept.
I also did a few acting jobs in small roles and as an extra for German TV,
i love films & attractions, the aspect of telling a story, and want to "breathe" in all the experience i can get.
In short, i do waay too much, but i love doing it. :D

Back to the model and why it looks this way:
All there is right now is a sun light with a properly set daylight system and FinalGather indirect illumination,
i didn't apply any shaders or textures apart from the SSE mural yet,
to save on overall performance while building.
All the objects just get a color code similar to their original counterpart's color.
Once i start to apply shaders and textures the whole model will start to look much different yet again.
But at the same time, the performance need will rise significantly. (I will reach a point where a single-rendered picture (30 per second for animation (or 24 respectively)) would take me up to 4 days to render, to achieve a decent quality with my current laptop and a few older machines (to help speed up the renderings.)) I will not mention the drop to 2fps refresh rate in 3Ds max when the model gets to that stage.. ^^

Do you use AutoCAD often, or have any previous experience with it?

Wow! That was a very detailed answer!!!
You are the living prove that if you put your mind to something you can achieve it!

I'm studying Civil Engineering (with some Architecture classes), so I've been learning how to use AutoCad and Catia, but I taught myself how to use Sketchup (which is pretty easy). Anyway, I've just had one semester of AutoCad, I hope to learn more soon.
I will definitely use Max on the future, I will look for tutorials on Internet.
I'm gonna listen to your songs too.

4 days to render? My good! Can't wait to see those pictures man!

Voxel

President of Progress City
You are the living prove that if you put your mind to something you can achieve it!

I'm studying Civil Engineering (with some Architecture classes), so I've been learning how to use AutoCad and Catia, but I taught myself how to use Sketchup (which is pretty easy). Anyway, I've just had one semester of AutoCad, I hope to learn more soon.

If you have a .edu address you should be able to get maya for free for a year ( you have to renew it every year with your edu address).
Or you can get blender, which which is free.

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster

Thanks so much, i appreciate that. :)

It helps to get as much first-hand experience as possible with those programs, but if you want to do engineering related tasks you won't get around AutoCAD. It's the so-called solids that CAD systems work with. You can transfer a model from CAD to Max for beauty renderings, but the generated 3Dsmax model itself will become useless for CAD workflow. If you want to use Max, it's strictly for visualisation, need to keep that in mind :)

Tutorials are the best way to learn, and the Help tab in both Max and CAD explain all the features pretty much.
Blender is a good option to start with. All 3D packages (Cinema4D, Blender, 3Ds Max, Maya, etc.) have poly modeling capability. Poly modeling will be what you are confronted with most of the time in Max.

Hm, though i haven't looked up the specs of the latest Max version, mine is an older build. Maybe the solids can be implemented by now, but i would not think they are translatable without full CAD implementation into Max.

JoseLorenzo

Thanks so much, i appreciate that. :)

It helps to get as much first-hand experience as possible with those programs, but if you want to do engineering related tasks you won't get around AutoCAD. It's the so-called solids that CAD systems work with. You can transfer a model from CAD to Max for beauty renderings, but the generated 3Dsmax model itself will become useless for CAD workflow. If you want to use Max, it's strictly for visualisation, need to keep that in mind :)

Tutorials are the best way to learn, and the Help tab in both Max and CAD explain all the features pretty much.
Blender is a good option to start with. All 3D packages (Cinema4D, Blender, 3Ds Max, Maya, etc.) have poly modeling capability. Poly modeling will be what you are confronted with most of the time in Max.

Hm, though i haven't looked up the specs of the latest Max version, mine is an older build. Maybe the solids can be implemented by now, but i would not think they are translatable without full CAD implementation into Max.

Yes thanks, I'll keep that in mind, since I'm also taking architecture classes, it will help, I just give more importance to engineering because I think architecture is 95% percent of your own practice. So I think that software is gonna come in handy in the future. Right now I'm working in some low quality renders made in Google Sketchup. I'm gonna upload them as soon as I finish my friend :)

Voxel

Yes thanks, I'll keep that in mind, since I'm also taking architecture classes, it will help, I just give more importance to engineering because I think architecture is 95% percent of your own practice. So I think that software is gonna come in handy in the future. Right now I'm working in some low quality renders made in Google Sketchup. I'm gonna upload them as soon as I finish my friend :)
Sketchuo can be very powerful for quick thinks. Esp pro that allows you to export into more formats better suited for rendering in Unity and other programs. Here is an example of my google sketch up work
image.jpg

image.jpg

Voxel

Hey @Voxel please make all of us a favor please an open up a new thread about your sketchup designs, here nobody is gonna pay a lot of attention to them, they are great.
Hahahah :) I have one way way way back in the imagineering section where I discussed the idea of designing a digital/explorable disney. It's been a year since I worked on the project. I just wanted to show love for sketch up if I get back into more creation/models I'll create a separate thread

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
Nice Renderings @Voxel :)

This reminds me, i forgot to mention something.
The quality in a model may make a difference to an impression, but it's also a question of time. My model looks this way, because i don't have a deadline right now, i can tweak and tune the model, take my time with details.
It's not a thing to overlook. the best models/illustrations/concepts often have a good balance between both worlds.
It always depends on what you want to do with the model. Voxel's sketchups give me a good idea of the buildings they portrait, often times that's sufficient. And, most importantly, quickly done.
(i must confess, never once i used sketchup before) :jawdrop:

@JoseLorenzo cool , i'm sure you're very welcome to show them off here in the forum :)
i'll keep my eyes peeled.

Voxel

Nice Renderings @Voxel :)

This reminds me, i forgot to mention something.
The quality in a model may make a difference to an impression, but it's also a question of time. My model looks this way, because i don't have a deadline right now, i can tweak and tune the model, take my time with details.
It's not a thing to overlook. the best models/illustrations/concepts often have a good balance between both worlds.
It always depends on what you want to do with the model. Voxel's sketchups give me a good idea of the buildings they portrait, often times that's sufficient. And, most importantly, quickly done.
(i must confess, never once i used sketchup before) :jawdrop:

@JoseLorenzo cool , i'm sure you're very welcome to show them off here in the forum :)
i'll keep my eyes peeled.
Exactly!!!! And likewise. I don't do high render detail on sketch up because most of my models go into unity or unreal where they are rerendered with the various filters I use there. They aren't perfect... I would love to find time to learn maya but it's hard :)

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
Merry Christmas! Hope you have a wonderful time! :)

I made a little something fo you!
New wipReel is out:

That's all for this year, i'm afraid. In January i will have to invest more time into the Horizons project
and i have a couple of songs in the works plus a long queue of tracks i would like to release.
But i think i should be able to get back to SSE and Innoventions Plaza towards the end of January.

PS: This is a German video of mine, but that's how my Christmas has been this year x.x

BTW, would you rather see the old building designs for LS(TSwNaF) and JII or the current ones?
And with SSE i think i will decide for the Jeremy Irons version, that's my favorite narration.

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
Thank you!!
You keep amazing us!!!
You are doing and amazing job!!!
I loved all the details, even the railings look like epcot railings.
Thanks for sharing :)

I..don't really know what to say. That's a lot of exclamation marks for sure! :D
Thanks and Merry Christmas! :)
I'm amazed you took notice of the rail detail, good to know.

There's lots of detail work ahead for Innoventions Plaza, but i'm not sure yet which design to go for, current with canvas or before the canvas shades were installed? (Obviously the latter would save me tons of work :D )

JoseLorenzo

I..don't really know what to say. That's a lot of exclamation marks for sure! :D
Thanks and Merry Christmas! :)
I'm amazed you took notice of the rail detail, good to know.

There's lots of detail work ahead for Innoventions Plaza, but i'm not sure yet which design to go for, current with canvas or before the canvas shades were installed? (Obviously the latter would save me tons of work :D )
Well I guess that depends on the time you've got :)

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
It's been a while since the last update, again,
but at the bottom of this post is a timelapse of the latest progress on the Epcot model.
It is beginning to take more and more shape while more coarse details and placeholder models are added.

You can see the other FW Pavilions slowly taking shape and the FW East & West corridors and walkways.
If you watch closely, you can see how especially WOL and TLS(SWN) are gaining mass and detail.

Next update will be in April, in March i have an opportunity to go to Epcot for 2 days. (I.cannot.wait!)
I will collect tons of references, photos and videos for later comparison.
So, in April and May the model will take a lot more shape,
though i will only model one or two WS pavilions in the next batch,
as FW has priority for me.

cheers,
Arti

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom