Building Spaceship Earth

Voxel

President of Progress City
It's been a while since the last update, again,
but at the bottom of this post is a timelapse of the latest progress on the Epcot model.
It is beginning to take more and more shape while more coarse details and placeholder models are added.

You can see the other FW Pavilions slowly taking shape and the FW East & West corridors and walkways.
If you watch closely, you can see how especially WOL and TLS(SWN) are gaining mass and detail.

Next update will be in April, in March i have an opportunity to go to Epcot for 2 days. (I.cannot.wait!)
I will collect tons of references, photos and videos for later comparison.
So, in April and May the model will take a lot more shape,
though i will only model one or two WS pavilions in the next batch,
as FW has priority for me.

cheers,
Arti

:)

Looking amazing man!

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
I'm gonna have to abandon the project. Any complaints about this please forward to the "Walt" Disney Company's legal- and park sesecurity departments, and the head of Epcot security called "Mama"

R.i.p. Epcot. Farewell.

P_Radden

NOOOOOOOOOO!

I just found this thread today and have been sitting here in wow of your work. Absolutely amazing project and really cool for those of us who are into the the engineering of WDW. Please say it ain't so, please say you can continue the project!

Great work!

-Alex

Jahona

:(

vader.jpg

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
NOOOOOOOOOO!

I just found this thread today and have been sitting here in wow of your work. Absolutely amazing project and really cool for those of us who are into the the engineering of WDW. Please say it ain't so, please say you can continue the project!

Great work!

-Alex
Thanks for your post. I appreciate it!

Sadly, i will have to abandon it. And i'm most devastated myself. This was just the beginning of something unique. Something i considered magical.

I'm in the US right now and this passion for the model (i collected more reference videos and photos for measurements and details) had already cost me a thorough check by disney security staff & 2 sherriffs, weird emails from the WDW legal department and even though everyone so far was stoked by the model, including disney security (who made me delete all material from my card), cm's and even the sherriffs were impressed. I want to add, i never went anywhere i wasn't supposed to or allowed to go. (i.e. cm areas or backstage) nor did i break any law. I was simply, as security stated "sticking out of the normal guest demographic/parameter".

It was made clear to me, if i continue on the model, i will have a hard time doing so..

So, i feel like i want to abandon any and all attempts to be a part of the Disney family, even though i could have really made a difference. I know Epcot better than most people, and the ONLY thing that holds Epcot together today, are its cast members.

This is what you get for one little spark of inspiration...

Sorry, i'm just really dissapointed while i'm writing this.

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
I'm gonna upload the progress video in a minute. These were the latest progressions before i left. I wanted to finish as much of the FW walkways and pavilion exteriors as i could before i left, this was supposed to be the march wipReel, but i guess this is the final video. Sorry :(

Tom

Beta Return
WHAT?!?!?!?!

They made you delete photos and video of things in the park, because you "stood out"? So, if I'm alone, and taking video of the park, I'm suddenly a terrorist? Is that what they were implying?

There are fans all over the world who host sites and create media content based solely around Disney Parks. Heck, @marni1971 makes extremely detailed videos of the history of park attractions, using a lot of his own footage, and stock footage.

You had to have appeared to be doing something more suspicious looking than just taking video....and after showing them your work, they were still too stupid to understand your innocent motives?

This really irritates me, and I hope you don't stop because of this.

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
WHAT?!?!?!?!

They made you delete photos and video of things in the park, because you "stood out"? So, if I'm alone, and taking video of the park, I'm suddenly a terrorist? Is that what they were implying?

There are fans all over the world who host sites and create media content based solely around Disney Parks. Heck, @marni1971 makes extremely detailed videos of the history of park attractions, using a lot of his own footage, and stock footage.

You had to have appeared to be doing something more suspicious looking than just taking video....and after showing them your work, they were still too stupid to understand your innocent motives?

This really irritates me, and I hope you don't stop because of this.

They understood my motives perfectly. I was taking videos with my dslr and one of my wide-angle lenses. I walked from the monorail station towards the area below the station. With the 18mm lens i have a good field of view so for my reference material it was sufficient. I can get quite a good impression of distance with using that particular lens. Anyhow. I went towards the parking lot as i still was missing some reference from the entrance. Took pictures and videos of the area on the walkway left side of the tram, adjacent to beam 209 (?) Then 2 female security officers approached me and started asking me what i was doing, and another minute later they were joined by 2 police officers. One Disney, and a LBV Sherriff. They asked me for my life story. Job. Contacts. Names. The amount of data i had taken, took pictures of my passport, my disney 5 day hopper ticket. Asked me how often i've been on disney property, how long i'm in the US. Sherriff didn't believe my passport was real and checked with homeland security (might have been the lack of accent).
Thing is. I complied and was doing my best to he nice about it. They made clear at several points in the conversation to expel me from disney property if i hadn't though.

Afterwards i told them the least they could do is get me an appointment with Imagineering to at least make up for the hour and a half they held me up.
Of course all i got was a letter from the legal department.
So, to be honest, after that experience i'd rather work for Universal.. And not waste my blood, sweat and tears on a park that no one at Disney seems to care about. The monorail fleet falls apart, the park looks worse than ever, apart from new paintjobs and the employees working their ***** off day in day out. I spent a long time just talking to cms and find out how they think about the current state of epcot. In general they're not in high spirits about Epcot's future.
And if the current concept and general practice won't change soon, Epcot has around another 15 years until it will have to be closed down indefinetly for comtinouously declining attendance. People find it boring, and the irony is, it's not the educative nature of Epcot that bores them. It's something different. But by diving into that topic i would give disney free, precious information i collected over the years by just asking people and staff in my own spare time. I would happily share my insight, but after the recent experience all my data will go into "lockdown-mode" and i will make sure my concepts for Epcot wowill not be on any network Computers. I have recently been to the Potter train in Universal. It's curious how close this idea is to the pre-ride simulated maglev train through Mesa Verde i envisioned for my Horizons V2 concept. So for several reasons, i'm gonna be much less public with these concepts.

It annoys me as i strongly believe passion, and not doing an 8to5 job, is the way to be most true to Walt's vision. And critique is the key to perfection. Disney's current policies do not reflect Walt's legacy anymore.

I think the time has come where the Disney company needs to be very clear about what is ok to record, film, photograph and release. Commercially as well.
Dozens of youtube channels make revenue with ride videos, park walkthroughs and so on. But they make guests delete their pictures at the same time when they do not see it fit their own interest. That is active censorship.

PS: the only other time i was ever asked to stop taking pictures was in Beijing, China. And they didn't even try to ask me to see the material.

The bag checks..useless.. scrutinizing and harrassing guests of the park (who even flew halfway across the globe just to see the parks).. pointless.
Whatever they are trying to prevent.. it's paranoid procedures, not logical profiling.

What do you guys think? Should i just not care and go on with the model? Or salvage some parts and then scrap it indefinetly?
I really don't know what i should do.

This is what i think --> I guess i'm never gonna get a chance at Imagineering anyways after all this so might as well move on to other projects of mine. I still have half a dozen animation short-films written and ready for filming. Still have my Doublespin Album to finish, which is halfway done, loads of stock 3D models to roll out, videos, and my actual job.
I could be all business about this model and the concepts, after all there were a couple of buy offers which i collectively refused.
I think Imagineering needs passionate people like me.
But i'm not a drone (still a team player, though), and i value Walt's mindset more than current
company policies. So maybe it's not for me, if creativity is being forced away like that, it's not what Walt would have done.

PS:
The digital model is my copyright. Excluding logos, names, trademarks and such, of course. But for most parts of the digital model i retain full copyright.

Thank you all for your support! It means a lot to see how many people care about this.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

P_Radden

Do not give up on your dreams of working for Imagineering. Do not give up on this project. It boils my blood the state of WDW parks and the lack of care/investments in simple things like monorail conditions and lack of new attractions for Epcot. This whole get-by-with-the-minimum-budget crap is killing WDW.

They need people like you! I highly encourage you to submit your resume along with the projects you are working on and pursue your dream! If you can meet the right people and get your foot in the door, you can have an amazing career and let your passions really make a difference for Epcot!

I can see their reasoning for suspecting you, I would definitely feel paranoid visiting the parks after that incident. BUT at the end of the day, you did nothing wrong! You know your intentions are harmless so you have nothing to fear.

Focus on Imagineering. Continue your passion. Be yourself and great things will happen for you!

EDIT: Punctuation and being in a rush when I posted this

Last edited:

Tom

Beta Return
Don't stop because of this, but I would write a letter to Disney expressing your displeasure of being singled out like you were.

From my understanding, you weren't in any restricted areas, and you were just filming things that 100,000 other people on YouTube have already filmed....and continue to do so every day.

Your story enrages me. Did they think you were a terrorist looking for a place to plant a bomb, or what? What idiots.

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
Don't stop because of this, but I would write a letter to Disney expressing your displeasure of being singled out like you were.

From my understanding, you weren't in any restricted areas, and you were just filming things that 100,000 other people on YouTube have already filmed....and continue to do so every day.

Your story enrages me. Did they think you were a terrorist looking for a place to plant a bomb, or what? What idiots.

The security women mentioned they asked ppl to delete material before. Though i can't tell you for sure whether they just said it to try to intimidate me. (I have pretty much all the shots i need anyways... 210gb of pics and videos in 3 days) so it wasn't a big loss. If i hadn't deleted the data on the card i had in my camera i'm pretty sure they would have revoked my ticket and sent me off property, though.

I don't think a terrorist would be interested in a monorail that already falls apart by staring at it long enough, or a park that recently has the lowest attendance in WDW. And how on earth would anyone be so obvious about it? Anyone with such an intention would try to make sure not to draw any attention.. but obviously DisneySec thinks otherwise.
And it's not 9/11. I once sat at the beach between MK and the GFl, had a smoke and was enjoying the solitude and the time-out from MK. It didn't take ten minutes until a boat with a security came by to ask what i was doing there. I said i was relaxing and enjoying the view over the SSL. He answered with a "ok, have a good day" and went on his way again. That was in early 2000.

No, i never went anywhere i wasn't allowed to go. I have google maps and bing maps for that. And the satellite map i built from 700 segments with a 20k by 20k resolution for the greater epcot area w/ parking lots and the resorts to the west.
Of course there's stuff you don't see. But i can still ask CMs and former employees if i missed a detail. And the rest is built according to the building code. I don't have a copy, but after modeling so many details in the park it's a bit like reading the matrix code.

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
Screw the legal department. I'm doing this without thinking about business stuff. And i currently am not under contract so NOBODY can tell me to stop what i'm doing.

I want Epcot to rise from the grime and dirt it's drowning in. And if Disney doesn't care, well it's good training, building the model and afterwards the new epcot concept.

Walking around Epcot right this moment. :D
received_10153141656518334.jpeg
20150319_215419.jpg
EP-SE-WIP-241.jpg

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
Oookay... i'm back in Germany and can finally get back onto the model.
(with roughly 500gb worth of new footage bwahahaha) (..sorry, nerdy moment)

Need to do a lot of smaller corrections, i'm off with some of the heights.
Pictures can fool you sometimes when it comes down to dimensions and heights. :bookworm:

I want to say thank you! Thank you all for your kind words and the support!

Ok, let's do this. :cool:

PS:
One of the more enjoyable moments i had in Epcot ^^

Tom

Beta Return
Oookay... i'm back in Germany and can finally get back onto the model.
(with roughly 500gb worth of new footage bwahahaha) (..sorry, nerdy moment)

Need to do a lot of smaller corrections, i'm off with some of the heights.
Pictures can fool you sometimes when it comes down to dimensions and heights. :bookworm:

I want to say thank you! Thank you all for your kind words and the support!

Ok, let's do this. :cool:

PS:
One of the more enjoyable moments i had in Epcot ^^

YAY! Glad you're going to continue with the project. Don't let Disney's ignorant goons scare you away from your passion.

Also, cute video :)

ArtificialArtist

Original Poster
Amazing! Absolutely amazing! A true labor of love.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out! :)
YAY! Glad you're going to continue with the project. Don't let Disney's ignorant goons scare you away from your passion.

Also, cute video :)

Thanks Tom! :)
No i'm not scared off, it just makes me angry still. But it's good, helps me keep my motivation high.

I've started work on the entrance section when i got back and am halfway through with the general shapes and some of the details. (Just to prove a point in how pointless the procedure of deletion of my footage was (i also restored some of the material)) I've begun work on the Monorail model (& the trains), that's also halfway done. Though i have to deal with my broken laptop first, Motherboard is fried. I'm hoping to get the replacement MB by next week, until then i can't work on the model properly (or any other 3D related work for that matter). I'll use the time to get some of the older computers back up and running. With a little luck i'll have some more rendering capacity available for network rendering. I will need much more power to render the model once i'm done and when all shaders and materials are applied, next year. :D

Once i fixed my laptop i will jump right back in where i left off on Monday.
And, hopefully in May, i can eventually get serious with the SSE building and interior. And the Horizons ride!

Which area or building would you guys like to see finished in detail?

180º

I had to do a forum search to find this thread. I don't want it to get lost, so I just popped in to say that this project is incredible and massively impressive. Bravo, and I look forward to the next update.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom