Bringing your own food to the food court!!

Phonedave

No sorry, people that buy food in the food court should not have to wait to heat their toast, bagel whatever because people who bring food from home l are hogging all the appliances and tables, the fact you are staying at the hotel does not mean you are a food court customer. I should not have to wait or not have table because someone is cheap.

I have not stayed in a value or moderate in ages, but as far as I am concerned, their food courts are just like the lobby space in a hotel. People sit in the lobby of hotels. Some people are eating, some are not, that is what a lobby is for. As for waiting for microwaves and toasters, if you bought food at a food court, why would you even need the microwave, it should be hot already. I know WDW makes you toast your own toast, but if there are toaster lines jammed up, then maybe they need to spring $300 to get an additional toaster.

Oddly enough, a few weeks ago I was staying at the Hilton Miracle Mile in Chicago, which I venture is much more per night that a Value or Moderate at WDW. A bunch of us were in the lobby at a table, hanging out having some drinks from the bar. We wanted appitizers, but for some of us what was on the menu was rather unappealing. That's when one of us noticed the Shake Shack across the street. Some people ordered appitzers from the hotel, and some of us made a Shake Shack run, and came back with burgers and a couple of orders of loaded fries and ate them right in the hotel lobby at the table. None of us really thought anything about it. The waiters who were brining our drinks didn't say one word about it.

-dave

Jedi Stitch

For those that remember, but Disney used to have actual Picnic areas for people bringing their food. In DL, before the big redo, to the left of the entrance gates outside of the park was a shaded secluded picnic area. I remember my mom being told by Disney Cm back then that it was preferred that all picnic meals be eaten in designated areas. There was a space set aside in Big Thunder Ranch, for Picnickers too. That is gone. Now Disney should look into having more expanded seating spaces, even bring back Picnic spaces for the pack your fooders. They want you to sit at the CS spaces and go do I want that cheap meal I brought or that yummy QS meal everyone else is eating.

Nobia Williams

So, there is some thread on my Facebook feed right now about saving money at Disney, and one guy suggested packing your own English Muffins, bagels, or bread and toasting them at the resort where they also have free condiments like butter, honey, and jelly.

When someone said they have never seen toasters in rooms, except villas, he posted this:

"Yeah it's all in the food court they have several toasters you can use at Pop I only saw two toasters at All Star Sports last weekend during the hurricane there was a ridiculous line but I'm sure when there's no weather issue the line is pretty decent and I only saw one microwave but they're supposed to be two but for sure grape jelly strawberry jam orange marmalade honey and a butter margarine mix which I'm not too fond of."

Ummmmmmm......okay.......this seems odd to me. But maybe I'm crazy. Is it a thing? Does Disney let people just bring their own food and use the toasters and microwaves and condiments in the food courts? I would never do it but now I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.
I am all for saving money, but I think this would be pushing the limit of what is acceptable. We take breakfast foods and eat in our rooms on the mornings we do not go to Character Breakfasts. I also purchased a small, lightweight toaster, specifically for Disney vacations. It works great and I only paid $6.00 for it. We also bring our own condiments. Why purchase bagels and toast and not purchase the jelly, butter, or cream cheese to go with them?? Being frugal is one thing, but taking advantage is entirely different.

Angel Ariel

I don't understand why anyone wants to bring food to the resorts or parks. You are on vacation. Live a little.
We typically get breakfast food to have in the room. We aren't hugely early risers (though we do rise earlier at WDW and DLR), or huge breakfast lovers and we don't want to spend the time it takes to go to a food court or CS in a resort for breakfast. We'd prefer to eat more quickly in the room (or on the way to the parks as we walk, which we've done too) and have more time in the parks.

We have also had instances of medically necessary diets that we needed to plan ahead of time for, to make sure the child affected had food they could eat.

Rue

Interesting about the food court. Last time I was at Disney I brought food, and would toast and cook it at the resort we stayed at. It worked out well for me, as eating out is OK but it becomes tiring to me.

Angel Ariel

For those that remember, but Disney used to have actual Picnic areas for people bringing their food. In DL, before the big redo, to the left of the entrance gates outside of the park was a shaded secluded picnic area. I remember my mom being told by Disney Cm back then that it was preferred that all picnic meals be eaten in designated areas. There was a space set aside in Big Thunder Ranch, for Picnickers too. That is gone. Now Disney should look into having more expanded seating spaces, even bring back Picnic spaces for the pack your fooders. They want you to sit at the CS spaces and go do I want that cheap meal I brought or that yummy QS meal everyone else is eating.

The picnic area to tye left of the Disney land entrance is still there. Screen cap from the disneyland app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-27-12-03-54.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-27-12-03-54.png
    591.6 KB · Views: 66

MickeyMomV

So on our last trip was a "extra" trip. We had planned trips for Feb and Nov of 2015 and then Run Disney announced the Dark Side 1/2 marathon weekend for April 2016. We made the decision that we would find a way to make an April trip work. Since it was not a planned trip we did what we had to, to help reduce costs. So, for the April trip we actually brought food down with us. Pretty much everyday in the mid afternoon you would find us having a "picnic" in the food court. We brought everything we needed including paper plates. We may have used a random napkin or fork but that was it. We used the Microwave on occasion for a mac and cheese cup for my DS with no issues. My DH actually had a 3-4 minute conversation with a cast member by the microwave about our trip and that it was really close to our Anniversary (5/5) and the cast member actually came over to our "picnic" and gave us a couple of Mickey Rice Crispy Treats as a congratulations. It was great! We figure we saved about $400 to $500 over the 7 night trip by eating breakfast and lunch from home. We still ate dinner in the parks and we purchased cases of water from the hotel store and added the flavor packets.
Now, we have trips planned for Nov 2017 and March and May of 2018 and currently don't plan on bringing any food with us but if we do I would have no problems doing a few more picnics.

mdouglass

Not everyone else can afford it. Some people can just barely save enough for the hotel and tickets. I remember being a kid and my family found stuff to make ends meet.

This thread bothers me because I have empathy for even just one family that is trying to give their kids a special experience the only way they can afford it and they may be shamed for using a microwave, table and chairs at a theme park or a packet of butter.

@Minthorne ---> Thank you...this thread bothered me, too. My family can afford the amenities and restaurants and have been annual pass holders for years. Most families are trying to do whatever they can to bring their family to Disney and some can't fully afford everything once they have paid for passes and hotel, so if bringing their food in the parks (which is fully allowed by Disney) is what they have to do to give their family a dream vacation...or stocking their rooms with groceries, then I am fine with that. I'm not fine with an "entitlement" attitude that has been discussed in this thread, but what is even more disappointing is the shaming going on in this thread. So, to make sure I understand what some people are implying is that if a family can afford park tickets, a stay at the resort, maybe one restaurant meal a day (or not), but must bring their food to afford the whole trip and maybe they need to use a few condiments, then they have no business taking a family vacation to the resorts/parks. Even better, tables in the shade are only reserved for those who can afford the super high prices for mediocre food that disney offers (and trust me, I eat it, but I don't like it...I'm just too lazy to pack a bunch of food for the park). How about those that have legitimate food restrictions and want more than the sorry "dietary restriction" options that a are available at the parks?

There seem to be quite a few elitist Disney snobs on here that think the parks and ammenities are only for those that can afford to pay 100% for everything, even if some items are available to all Disney park/resort guests regardless of their financial abilities. What a shame...great way to share and exhibit the Disney mindset. :(

howrad11

People are people and all kinds of them visit WDW. I don't have a problem with the use of microwaves and toasters and I'm sure Disney realizes people will take condiments that is intended for guests purchasing food in the food court. As long as Disney continues to put the condiments out for anyone to take, Cheapskates will take them. (I guess their thought is that they've paid lots of $$ to come to Disney, so it's their right to take advantage of what is provided.

DfromATX

We have breakfast items (along with snacks and drinks) delivered to our room. It never occurred to me to go down to the food court to use the hotel's cream cheese or toaster, but honestly, if someone wants to do that it affects me in no way. As a guest of the hotel, I think it's perfectly fine to use the microwave or toaster. I also think it's pretty rude to call someone too cheap for wanting to do that. Is it really that big of deal?

PSU6411

I see nothing wrong with people bringing their own food to

A.) SAVE money ( it does add up for a larger family)
B.) Real food allergies and or dietary restrictions ( not the I am gluten free one night and then house a pizza 3 days later dieter)
C.) Picky eaters, children, toddlers and infants ( well because honestly who wants to pay 5 dollars for an uncrustable when you can buy 6 for less than that outside of the Dis etc)

If you bring your own food to Disney by choice or necessity I believe you should be able to have access to microwave and toaster, however I think Disney should reassess access to them at the CS restaurants. The CS restaurants are technically NOT the hotel. I know many people on this thread mentioned that those amenities are included in the hotel price ( yes and no). If Disney offered a free breakfast to guests like many hotels do, then yes access to cook that free breakfast would be part of the amenities. However if you were at a hotel outside of Disney that had pay restaurants in the lobby, would you really go into that restaurant and say its ok I am staying here let me use your toaster as we don't want to buy your food you are selling at higher prices. And by the way I didn't buy a stick of butter or a jar of jam but I want that on this bagel so I need to take some from your tables and kitchen. I would hope the answer to that hypothetical would be NO. Disney should offer a conference room or something of the like that has toasters and microwaves available to all throughout their stay, without loading up a full CS restaurant with lines for those things. Also, if Disney is willing to provide condiments to those not making a purchase that is Disney's choice- just have them in that conference room location so that paying customers have access to butter, jam, as well. But please note- Disney doesn't give anything a way for free- the reason Disney doesn't seem to care if those not buying food at the CS are taking tons of condiments is because that usage and theft are all rolled into the price of food that you are buying at the CS restaurants. In essence, one of the reasons food prices have risen is because there are enough people that do take condiments without purchasing anything, therefore those spending money on food on property are paying for those condiment that are used with no purchase. So, to recap- convert a conference room into a communal "kitchen" of sorts for those who wish to prepare and bring their own food items and then those using the CS have nothing to complain about. I definitely think access to amenities should be there and is needed, but instead of belittling those who use them or need them, maybe we should get together and maybe come up with a better solution to appease everyone and offer more access to things.

I do think that if you purchased anything from the restaurant even a drink at that point you should definitely be entitled to access to condiments, however don't take 20 butters for your whole family when you bought a 3 dollar milk. There was comment that someone takes a splenda for their in room coffee- another thing Disney should fix- if you are going to offer in room coffee maker and coffee every day then offer sugar, splenda, sweet n low etc in the room everyday. Then no one can complain you didn't buy anything at the CS.

I am not one to judge on how someone chooses to take vacation, but if you have to resort to using condiments from restaurants and free salads from topping bars at restaurants, then maybe you should reconsider if you are ready for that dream vacation- if you need just a little more money for food while you are away then spend a few more months saving up so that you don't have to resort to eating condiments and stealing "salad". I think if someone can afford to stay on property at Disney then the few extra dollars they would need to spend on a thing of butter and jam for their breakfasts or a thing of sugar or splenda wont break the bank. I get that some people want the experience of staying on property, but if you cant financially there are much cheaper options offsite. If you truly want the on property experience and you cant afford condiments or need to steal salads just to get by then maybe waiting a little longer and saving up alittle more might be worth it. If you are on a tight budget and bring your own food, no issues there, its when the condiments and "salads" and all the other things add up. Don't say to yourself you can afford this vacation because the 10 dollars we saved by stealing condiments- that's not a real excuse. BUT - honestly - I bet you most of the people using the condiments and or taking "salads" for nothing are well off and DONT need to but they just feel entitled to do so.

Bottom line is we are all on vacation and trying to enjoy it to the best of our capabilities- whether someone has gluten allergies, cant afford every meal out, etc.- we are all people and we all deserve to be treated with respect.
I think Disney could do a better job in providing extra amenities for those staying at their hotels and it wouldn't hurt them to offer a few more free perks or to even lower their park tickets a little bit ( FYI - it is more expensive for a family of 3 for 2 days of park passes than it is for 3 nights at a value resort).I think that food prices are affected by residuals of those taking " free" items on a regular basis and I think those taking "salads" is just plain wrong. Try to think about the other parties perspective when you are doing something and how they would feel watching you do what you are doing whether its abusing the system or its you judging someone else using a microwave or toaster or taking 1 or 2 packs of butter. RESPECT AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER!

and DONT STEAL!

amykay9377

I feel like there are three discussions going on at the same time in this thread! I just had to throw in my two Disney dollars...

Utilizing Condiments at the Resort Food Court
IMO I don't think that someone bringing their own food should utilize the "more expensive" condiments at a food court IF you did not purchase anything. Making microwave popcorn? Sure, grab some salt. Bring your own bagel? Maybe don't take four packets of "free" cream cheese. No, paying $100/night doesn't give you the right to take things that a rightfully there for people who have purchased food. Do you filch condiments from random places at the food court of your local mall? Same idea.

Utilizing the Food Court and its Amenities
The Food Court and it's amenities, in and of itself, is fair game to any person staying at that resort. Amenities would refer to tables, chairs, toasters, microwaves. I see no reason why a family who purchased their own breakfast should not be able to go to the food court and sit and eat their breakfast. Should they use the food court's plastic utensils? Technically, no (see point 1), but it's like the salt example; it's not as big a deal.

Utilizing CS Restaurants Space and Amenities
If you bring in food to the Magic Kingdom (as example), then no, you should not take up space at a CS restaurant that should be for paying customers. I would be (and have been) hot as hell if I saw people taking up space at Pecos Bill at 12pm on a Saturday (very busy time) eating homemade tuna sammiches while I'm walking around with my five kids trying to find a table to eat the food I spent $100 for AT Pecos Bills. That being said, if there is ample space for that first family to sit inside, by all means, please sit inside. But priority at busy times should be for people who have paid for food at that establishment. This is one reason we never eat at Casey's - there is never available seating inside, nor available seating outside (on either side of Main Street) because outdoor tables are being used by people who just want to sit and chill.

Minthorne

I'm far more horrified at the food courts by the volume of extra napkins and condiments taken by people who bought food and then ended up not using all the ones they took. Most of these just end up in the trash. I would feel pretty confident the amount of waste by people is a larger portion of loss than the amount that is taken by people who didn't actively spend at the location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom