Bringing your own food to the food court!!

disneygeek90

When I went with my kids when they were little, we would just sit down with other people. I would ask and everyone was very nice and shared their table with us. I think it is horrible for people to take a table when they bring their own food inside the park. If you are going to do that then wait for an off time when there are plenty of tables.
I honestly don't see anything wrong with using a table to sit and eat your Publix sandwiches at, and I almost never bring in food. They have paid to be in the park just like everyone else. If you want a guaranteed table, go to a TS restaurant. Quick service and the seating is free for all, whether you're buying you $10 burger or bringing in your PB&J. If you walk a little away from the immediate seating area, you can find a table not too far off.

MomofPrincessGrace

I honestly don't see anything wrong with using a table to sit and eat your Publix sandwiches at, and I almost never bring in food. They have paid to be in the park just like everyone else. If you want a guaranteed table, go to a TS restaurant. Quick service and the seating is free for all, whether you're buying you $10 burger or bringing in your PB&J. If you walk a little away from the immediate seating area, you can find a table not too far off.
I almost wish there was more seating for this reason. There have been many times that I might just want to sit and drink my starbucks or eat my ice cream, but I wouldn't want to take that seat away from someone who was trying to eat an actual meal. One afternoon we went to Casey's and got a couple of footlongs. There were no tables so we went and sat on the astro turf in front of the castle and ate our hotdogs there. Even though we had a great view for people watching, it would have been much easier eating those dogs at a table instead of on the ground picnic style, especially when about 1/4 of the tables near Casey's were just people taking a load off in the air conditioning (which I can't really blame them for).

Phonedave

In the grand scheme of things it all comes out the wash. At least as far as a food court at a resort is concerned.

The first time I went to WDW as an adult (paying my own way) I looked up cost saving tips. There was a tip that you could buy two slices of bread in a food court (for toast) and then snag free peanur butter and jelly and make a sandwich for about a buck. Note that peanut butter is no longer free. I never did it, but I thought that was a heck of a lot of work to go through to get a sandwich.

We stay in DVC units now, so we have a full kitchen, and we do order food for the room, and cook it there. But I see no problem with using the microwave or toaster in the food court for your own food. I aslo see no problem with using a reasonable amount of condiments. When we stay, sometimes I grab some Splenda packets for coffee we make in our room. Honestly I think more condiments are thrown away by people that take boatloads of them on their tray, than are "stolen" by people using them on their own food.

-dave

lostpro9het

Soon to be installed condiment dispensers $1.00 for ketchup, 75 cents for mustard, $1.00 for mayo. Coin operated microwaves coming soon to your resort food court.

Naw...disney will just put an RFID reader at every condiment pump and install edible RFID chips in your hamburgers and hot dogs to activate the pumps, but only one pump every 15 minutes so as to prevent you from taking too much condiment.

ninjaprincesst

We are one of those people. We bring our own food and on occasion use the condiments and toasters in the morning. You are talking pennies here, after spending the kind of inflated prices Disney charges for their parks, I don't see a problem using a dollar worth of some condiments during our entire stay. They will get my money someway.
I don't think its so much about the condiments, but what would hack me off is i buy something from Disney, I'm stuck waiting in line for a toaster or microwave because of people that brought food from home, that is where I would be mad, I think if your going to bring stuff from home it should be stuff that does not need to be heated and should be eaten in your room not taking up appliances and tables meant for paying customers.

MomofPrincessGrace

I don't think its so much about the condiments, but what would hack me off is i buy something from Disney, I'm stuck waiting in line for a toaster or microwave because of people that brought food from home, that is where I would be mad, I think if your going to bring stuff from home it should be stuff that does not need to be heated and should be eaten in your room not taking up appliances and tables meant for paying customers.

But, if you are paying to stay at the resort, you are a paying customer... That is an amenity that is technically for all paying resort guest. If you could only use it if you bought something in the food court, then they should keep it back before you get to the registers.

Tony the Tigger

I guess I would draw the line at restaurant vs. hotel - and of course, Disney is both.

I don't think people would walk into a McDonald's or a TGIF with a loaf of bread and expect to be seated.

However, most hotels, even cheap ones, have at least a lobby with a microwave in it for public use.

Apparently at WDW (although I never noticed it before) that public microwave is located in their QS location (which is more appropriate than their lobby.)

People who think they're entitled to unlimited condiments and what not because they bought a park ticket - no.

Minnie Mum

I'm likely wasting my time, but I'll disagree with this. A CS restaurant is not a food court, it's a restaurant. The seating is for paying customers first. Someone who has just bought their lunch at the counter should have priority over people who have brought picnic meals. Would you bring Publix sandwiches into a McDonald's? This is why they have started stationing CMs at the seating area entrances during the busier meal times. If you want to bring your own food, eat at off times, or find a bench or a low wall outside for your picnic. I absolutely hate seeing people wandering around with rapidly cooling hot meals on their trays while others are sitting at tables chowing down on their homemade PB&Js.

Minthorne

I don't understand why anyone wants to bring food to the resorts or parks. You are on vacation. Live a little.

Not everyone else can afford it. Some people can just barely save enough for the hotel and tickets. I remember being a kid and my family found stuff to make ends meet.

This thread bothers me because I have empathy for even just one family that is trying to give their kids a special experience the only way they can afford it and they may be shamed for using a microwave, table and chairs at a theme park or a packet of butter.

I am Timmy

I don't understand why anyone wants to bring food to the resorts or parks. You are on vacation. Live a little.
Time. We eat breakfast in our rooms while we get ready. We are early morning commandos, so this is crucial. Plus, I can get 4 Dannon Light and Fit yogurt at Walmart for $3.47, one in the Disney food court is $3.00. Um, no. And that is just one example. However, we also eat a quick service and table service meal at restaurants every day as well. We're on vacation, and living, just being smart about it.

Tony the Tigger

I remember when we could barely afford a 4 day ticket, stayed at a $30 a night mess on 192 (whichever popped up cheapest on Priceline) stopped at McDonald's on the way in for breakfast, and went to Cici's pizza buffet for $5.99 at night (with a buy 1 buffet, get one free coupon from the hotel lobby.)

If I had kids, I may have had to be more creative.

I have empathy for folks who truly can't afford it. Not so much for people who think they are entitled and take advantage of a situation.

correcaminos

We are DVC and have a fridge and kitchen when we stay so we do keep food there. We have also brought snacks into the park especially when having a toddler/preschool kid or when I was pregnant. We did that because the food options weren't always the best for snacks. Especially for little ones or when I was pregnant. Dietary restrictions can come into play.

We eat out more on vacation than we do at home and if I'm not careful I wind up feeling lousy. My body just cannot take too much food, so we do smaller meals in the room and then one meal out a day. Others really just would rather use money elsewhere - food isn't that important to them in the parks and they just find cheaper ways to eat. Some also cannot afford it. Breakfast for us is always in room. It saves time and none of us are huge breakfast eaters anyway.

There is no right or wrong to what to do, but that might give some insight into why some people do. We live on vacation in other ways but just not splurging on food if that makes sense :)

all that said, I'm still not comfortable taking condiments from a place I have not purchased food from. So while using the microwaves and such wouldn't bother me, I couldn't do anything more than that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom