Boy jumped into lake a Epcot!

John park hopper

Any parent that has not had that oh no! monent when a child has disappeared in a split second is not being honest. Raising 3 boys it has happened more than once (my middle son was the adventurious one) Kids are fearless and quick; short of keeping them on a leash (tether) it's gona happen. For those saying ban from the park let's get real

Last edited by a moderator:

ppete1975

Any idea how deep these are? I always assumed the main lake was fairly deep and these 5 footish? But ive never really thought too much about it.

DfromATX

I can only imagine how embarrassed the family must feel, especially with all of the people standing around, watching them :(

Maybe at first, but I think it's one of those things that will be a funny story later on. You never know what kids will do, autistic or not, he had an urge and went with it. He probably had some glorious freedom for a few minutes before all the adults ruined it.

DfromATX

Any parent that has not had that oh no! monent when a child has disappeared in a split second is not being honest. Raising 3 boys it has happened more than once (my middle son was the adventurious one) Kids are fearless and quick; short of keeping them on a leash (tether) it's gona happen. For those saying ban from the park let's get real

Exactly! Do you see that sleeping boy in the stroller in my pic? We actually lost him at Disney (briefly) during that trip and yes, it was the longest and panic-filled few minutes of my life. He's almost 15 now and we still talk about it.

Jedi Stitch

My best friend who's aunt used to be head of Disneyland Hotel service back in the mid '80's had a story where he and a girl got in the water near the Pirate Ship in PotC. He said one time he was doing a back stage tour with his Aunt and Cousins, and they had PotC down, so he could see it. Once he had seen it was just a shallow pool with out guide rails, he formed a plan to swim it. A couple days later they had PotC up, and he went and jumped in with the girl he was with. They swam around a few minutes. They got back into a boat and no one seamed the wiser. No one asked why to kids were soaked coming off the ride. This was way before all the extra cameras and security was added. Also, back in the days you could have empty boats. I have seen people fall off the rafts between dock and Island. I have seen kids jump into the water off the barrel bridge. Read stories about people who hid away on TS Island, and try to swim across RoA, but cant find a way up on the other side. Just another casual dip, but this time filmed.

Jedi Stitch

Yawn. I'm sure he's not the first to swim at Epcot nor the last.

That "lake" is probably 3 feet deep so I'm not seeing the huge danger involved. That's not where gators would be BTW.

Not seeing the big deal here except it's kind of funny. Surprised my kids haven't tried it on a hot day, sure they thought about it.
THats because the gaters like the water at Splash Mountain instead. just look for the video.

The Empress Lilly

Confirmed! Disney now draining all their park lakes to prevent swimming incidents!!

2ezsf7o.jpg

Monorail_Red_77

Any idea how deep these are? I always assumed the main lake was fairly deep and these 5 footish? But ive never really thought too much about it.
These on the west side of future world are not super deep. These are the clear fountain-type ponds. I call the fountain type since they are filtered and not a natural pond/lake like future world east or the world showcase lagoon. I would assume they are about three feet deep at the most. Possibly less.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
ICYMI, over on Facebook this interesting story happened at Epcot today. A boy with autism slipped away from his parents jumped into the water near the Imagination Pavilion. CMs were able to coax him out and he was fine.
21743300_10159454409810145_102660617673049863_n.jpg

Before you guys go on jabbering about, I'd like to say that this boy had autism and it was revealed that the boy was hot and wanted to cool down. Why couldn't the family go back to their hotel and go the pool? Or go into the cool A/C and grab some water?
Thank god Disney's Cast members stepped right into action before it was too late!

For years, I've been arguing that they need to re-institute the WS lagoon lifeguard program. Now, we have evidence that patrolling is needed for the ancillary bodies of water. I've still got my float, whistle, and EPCOT speedos at the ready.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

World Showcase Lagoon is 12,100 feet deep which is the average depth of the great body of water that encompasses much of the planet. Many think this is overkill, but it is Disney themeing at its best in my opinion.

jloucks

I think it's a knee jerk reaction to blame the parents first, and most of the time not warranted.

I was guilty of it with the little boy and the death of Harambe. Initially these were my thoughts-
"Why wasn't she watching?" "Don't have that many kids if you can't keep track of them" "This stupid irresponsible mother is responsible for this horrific event!"
(Private thoughts, not displayed on social media)

Then I realized that it could happen to me. There's been times when one child has escaped my sight momentarily. Luckily he's never climbed into a gorilla exhibit or jumped into a fountain at Epcot, but I can not responsibly or honestly say that my eyes have been on him at every single moment.
I don't think any parent can say that...maybe the parents who use a leash, but not the rest of us.
Once the self admittance and understanding sets in, then I think our next reaction is sympathy for the parents, for the embarrassment of those moments and the social media judgements that result.

No, you were right the first time. A parent/adult is responsible for a child at all times. The only exception is when another responsible adult is put in charge. Then that adult is responsible.

If a child you are in charge of runs into a pond, lake, gorilla enclosure, wood chipper, or out into traffic, the adult in charge is responsible and should be held accountable. Blaming the child is silly. They are ignorant children, that's why they have adults protecting them. Without adults in charge they would have a much harder time making it to adulthood.

Don't get me wrong, adults make mistakes and kids get hurt. It is still the adults fault, but it is going to happen. It will happen. Blame the adults, sure, but treat them like you want to be treated when you screw up. ...because you will. We all do.

Now, when the adult is blatantly negligent, a little public shaming is in order. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom