Boy jumped into lake a Epcot!

DisneyMann

Denotation, perhaps...but it's the connotation that people are tying up their kids like dogs that I don't like. They don't do it out of ownership -- they do it out of love, and so I prefer the term tether.

I have to disagree with "they do it out of love". No!

Most of the parents IMO do it for convenience to reduce having to parent. Sadly it's very common nowadays....I see it with a family member and it's infuriating.

thomas998

It was pretty common 65 years ago. I guess they didn't want to parent back then, either. ;)
I think it depends on where you were. Where I grew up you would randomly see it in the late 60's but from comments people made you could tell it was not considered the way to go... didn't see much of it in the 70's or 80's but sometime around the late 90's it seemed to really start becoming popular.

Nemo14

My kids were born in the 80's and we used wrist connectors similar to this with them in busy places.
upload_2017-9-29_7-17-37.jpeg

It worked well for us, and the kids liked having the freedom to walk independently. I guess we should have have pushed them around in a stroller instead...:rolleyes:

bclane

My kids were born in the 80's and we used wrist connectors similar to this with them in busy places.
View attachment 234409

It worked well for us, and the kids liked having the freedom to walk independently. I guess we should have have pushed them around in a stroller instead...:rolleyes:
Yes, clearly you are a terrible parent for allowing your kids to walk around while being strapped to your wrist instead of strapping them into a stroller like my wife and I did. Shame on you! All joking aside, I'm not sure how the two different strategies are all that different. With one you attach the kid to your wrist and with the other you attach the kid to a stroller. Maybe I'm just an ignorant old fool but they don't seem all that different to me.

The thing is, I know I am the best dad ever because my kids would tell me this repeatedly right before Christmas every year. I fully expect to be told this again this year (more and more frequently as we approach Christmas).

Nemo14

Yes, clearly you are a terrible parent for allowing your kids to walk around while being strapped to your wrist instead of strapping them into a stroller like my wife and I did. Shame on you! All joking aside, I'm not sure how the two different strategies are all that different. With one you attach the kid to your wrist and with the other you attach the kid to a stroller. Maybe I'm just an ignorant old fool but they don't seem all that different to me.

The thing is, I know I am the best dad ever because my kids would tell me this repeatedly right before Christmas every year. I fully expect to be told this again this year (more and more frequently as we approach Christmas).
You're right - there is no difference - just a matter of personal preference and kid's temperament. As long as they're safe and happy, it makes no difference in the long run.

Oh, and if I tell you you're the best dad ever, do I get a nifty Christmas gift too?

bclane

You're right - there is no difference - just a matter of personal preference and kid's temperament. As long as they're safe and happy, it makes no difference in the long run.

Oh, and if I tell you you're the best dad ever, do I get a nifty Christmas gift too?
Of course! :happy:

rob0519

This really has nothing to do with Autism it's just a kid being a kid. Kids can slip away from the best of parents , it's just cute and funny to me. The kid was not hurt , so there is no harm no big deal

It's only cute and funny to you and a lot of other people because no one was hurt, but it is a big deal. Those fences were installed for a reason. There was potential for serious injury and possibly death at the extreme end. Cute and funny is when a child takes his or her dessert and rubs it all over their face.

We have an adult special needs son. When he we young, it was almost impossible to predict what he might do. So, yes was it my and my wife's responsibility to make sure he didn't run into traffic, climb a fence and go for a swim in a lake at an amusement park or other activity that could endanger him or someone else.

ninjaprincesst

It's only cute and funny to you and a lot of other people because no one was hurt, but it is a big deal. Those fences were installed for a reason. There was potential for serious injury and possibly death at the extreme end. Cute and funny is when a child takes his or her dessert and rubs it all over their face.

We have an adult special needs son. When he we young, it was almost impossible to predict what he might do. So, yes was it my and my wife's responsibility to make sure he didn't run into traffic, climb a fence and go for a swim in a lake at an amusement park or other activity that could endanger him or someone else.
No rubbing dessert all over his face is bratty gross and disgusting,not cut, and that is easily stopped by a parent,people are acting like this kid did something horrid, and so the parents were distracted for a moment , it can happen to anyone and Im sure you and wife could not possibly have had your complete attention on your child 24/7all this parent shaming is stupid, we are all human,but everyone gets distracted no one is a perfect parent.

Sans Souci

I think some of the parents in this thread should form a consortium to pool together their collective perfected parenting knowledge. They could disseminate this information and save future generations of grief by showing us all how to be perfect parents.

bclane

I think some of the parents in this thread should form a consortium to pool together their collective perfected parenting knowledge. They could disseminate this information and save future generations of grief by showing us all how to be perfect parents.
That is a great idea! I'll start. Please show your children the Star Wars movies in the order that they were released. So... IV, V, VI, I, II, III, VII, and then Rogue One. Failure to follow this order could damage the space time continuum as well as your child's future happiness.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That is a great idea! I'll start. Please show your children the Star Wars movies in the order that they were released. So... IV, V, VI, I, II, III, VII, and then Rogue One. Failure to follow this order could damage the space time continuum as well as your child's future happiness.
Another good reason to be a Star Trek fan instead... :p

Damon7777

""" I realized that it could happen to me. There's been times when one child has escaped my sight momentarily. Luckily he's never climbed into a gorilla exhibit"""

You know something,..... with some of the parenting I have seen first hand over the years, in some cases, I bet a wandering child is better off in the hands of a caring gorilla.

Last edited:

bclane

Another good reason to be a Star Trek fan instead... :p
Thanks Larryz for reminding me that I'm not the best father in the world as I could not, for the life of me, get my kids to watch more than a few episodes of Star Trek TOS. They said it was too cheesy for them. Madness I say! They did like Next Gen though and then they got hooked on Friends and we weren't able to finish the series. :mad: And now I can't get back them back to binge watching Trek with their dear ol dad and I'm feeling like I've let nerds down everywhere. Kids these days! I'm still trying to get them to finish Next Gen and then watch DS9 with me but they are so busy now with school. Where are their priorities!!! :D

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Thanks Larryz for reminding me that I'm not the best father in the world as I could not, for the life of me, get my kids to watch more than a few episodes of Star Trek TOS. They said it was too cheesy for them. Madness I say! They did like Next Gen though and then they got hooked on Friends and we weren't able to finish the series. :mad: And now I can't get back them back to binge watching Trek with their dear ol dad and I'm feeling like I've let nerds down everywhere. Kids these days! I'm still trying to get them to finish Next Gen and then watch DS9 with me but they are so busy now with school. Where are their priorities!!! :D
If you offer them $5 per episode to sit through it with you, they'll cave...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom