Boy jumped into lake a Epcot!

meyeet

Any standards would be better than what many so called parents use today. The mindset of a lot of so called parents today is to do nothing and hope that everyone else watches their kids for them.
While I agree that standards are slipping, thanks to social media everyone can judge at the instant things go wrong for a parent and throw their own two cents into the mix without knowing the full extent of the situation.

How do you know Disney didn't tell the parents to stay out of the water?

Disneyhead'71

Every body of water at WDW including the fountains have had guests in them. And most weren't even autistic. Many international tourists bring their customs with them. Like in some Latin American and Asian countries, it is not uncommon nor disrespectful to cool ones feet in a public fountain.

The kid was in little danger. The parents knew that and that is why they didn't jump in. If he were in actual danger that the parents were unaware of, the Disney CMs would have jumped in. They didn't.

And for those mentioning gators, the possibility of being attacked by a gator in Epcot are so infinitesimally small, that other than a passing thought, it should not have even been a considered.

Last edited:

thomas998

While I agree that standards are slipping, thanks to social media everyone can judge at the instant things go wrong for a parent and throw their own two cents into the mix without knowing the full extent of the situation.

Reality is the parents failed to control their kid who they now claim is mentally impaired. If you take someone with mental problems to a very crowded place you would either have them on a leash or be holding their hand either of which would have kept this from happening... so at that point I already know the parents fit my standard of poor parenting that was just hoping to push their job of parenting onto everyone else.

danyoung56

Sigh. It's not a matter of believing the Lagoon is deep. It's a matter of wondering if the poster is crazy enough to believe it.

But hey, I've learned something anyway here. I've learned that someone named George gets clever with his posts. And I've learned that someone named Batman has a junior high boy's sense of abusing others for his own amusement.

So it's a good day - I've learned something.

Tick Tock

Sigh. It's not a matter of believing the Lagoon is deep. It's a matter of wondering if the poster is crazy enough to believe it.

But hey, I've learned something anyway here. I've learned that someone named George gets clever with his posts. And I've learned that someone named Batman has a junior high boy's sense of abusing others for his own amusement.

So it's a good day - I've learned something.
Nobody is "abusing" anyone around here. I think you're taking this whole thing with far too much seriousness & stress than any of it intended to bring about.

Relax and take some of your own advice.
Grow a sense of humor, amigo.

GenerationX

If Disney doesn't want kids jumping into the Imagination Pavilion lagoon, they should theme it after River Country ... in its current state.

Sans Souci

My best friend who's aunt used to be head of Disneyland Hotel service back in the mid '80's had a story where he and a girl got in the water near the Pirate Ship in PotC. He said one time he was doing a back stage tour with his Aunt and Cousins, and they had PotC down, so he could see it. Once he had seen it was just a shallow pool with out guide rails, he formed a plan to swim it.

21stamps

I thought the Dad did go into the water. Isn't that who got him out?

crxbrett

These on the west side of future world are not super deep. These are the clear fountain-type ponds. I call the fountain type since they are filtered and not a natural pond/lake like future world east or the world showcase lagoon. I would assume they are about three feet deep at the most. Possibly less.

I was going to say, the ponds near the Imagination pavilion are super shallow...maybe 2-3 feet deep. And the water is not dark or murky or swampy at all in those ponds. Also, they are not connected to the waterways and canals like all the other water is at Epcot (International Gateway, Boardwalk, WS Lagoon and the Odyssey lagoon are all connected and definitely have wildlife in them (I saw a giant snapping turtle trying to eat some ducks once in the lagoon next to the Odyssey once. I'm sure other critters are in there as well - snakes and gators and whatnot).

This kid was safe from harm as long as he didn't slip and hit his head on the slopes or rocks. I don't see Disney putting in a bigger fence, either. It was a random incident. I am sure this has happened before in the 35 years Epcot has been open. The difference is, everyone has a cell phone to take videos now and there is social media so people can post stuff like this everywhere. There was no way of doing that more than 10 years ago. When something like this happened before, unless you saw it happen and were there to witness it, no one would ever know. Even guests in the park in other areas. Social media makes people aware of so much now - in very negative and positive ways.

crxbrett

I'm not very upset at all about the autistic child entering the water, since he was unharmed in the end. However, the fact that these gawkers recorded their video in portrait orientation, that's unforgivable.

LOL I've never understood this, either. I don't think a lot of people even realize they can take pics or videos landscaped or horizontally on their phones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom