Big reduction on Annual Passholder discounts at Walt Disney World mini-golf courses and boat rentals

sjhym333

I just don't understand why it is such a big deal, and considered alienating, when instead of saving 7 dollars at mini golf, a guest only saves 2. Saving is saving, and like I said before, if that is all they wanted from the annual pass, then I think somebodies priorities are out of order.
You can think that all you want, but again...people buy AP's for a variety of reasons. I doubt there is an AP holder out there who bought an AP because of the mini-golf or watercraft discount. You're missing the point. The first point is that people bought an AP lets say 8 months ago under a certain understanding such as I will pay X for the pass and Disney will include such and such. Disney is changing that agreement mid-contract (which I am sure the small print allows) and that kind of stinks...but that is not the main point.

People buy an AP because of the total package. Yes an AP gets admission at a decreasing rate as it gets used more and more. But many people buy an AP not just for the park admission but for the other things as well...such as resort hotel discounts, free parking, merchandise and food discounts. As a very long time AP holder I have seen the value of my AP decrease over the years. There are no longer AP only events, our merchandise discounts decreased a few years back, we lost the AP lounges several years ago and so on. At the same time all AP's have increased in price. I have used the mini-golf and the watercraft discounts a handful of times over the past 20 or so years. So the change in the % of discount is not that big a deal for me. I think I said earlier in this thread that my family (there are 6 of us between kids, spouses and grandkids) are not renewing our pass when they expire in March. It was interesting that each adult had come to that decision individually before we discussed it as a family. The reason is that we no longer see it as a value. I know some will disagree. You are more then welcome to your opinion and I am glad you will continue to enjoy the parks. But for us, the lack of expansion, the crowds, the inability to grab a nice dinner at the last minute and a bunch of other things play into out decision...including the decrease in our discounts and when you include a price increase we are basically done.

raven

It may not justify a $100 ticket, but it may be the difference between a meal at Casey's than at Crystal Palace for someone already going.. or an extra little tchotchke while there, or the difference between a stay at All Stars and Port Orleans..

Well sadly in the current economy for some of us regular folk, saving extra money at the pump means more to buy food or catch up on bills with. Not to give to a greedy mouse.

Figment2005

The monorail operation times have already been slashed. It's Ferry Boat only from the MK lot to MK mid-day now. As far as falling gas prices, that's not a Disney thing. That savings should be spent how those people want, not how Disney wants.
Um, where did you get that information from?

sjhym333

If you search this site you will see the most recent time was earlier this month. Here is what the WDW Disney website says about upcoming monorail operating hours:

Learn about Upcoming Monorail Schedule Modifications
Throughout February and March 2015, monorails may be operating with modified service and routes. During your upcoming visit, please check first with a Cast Member to be sure that monorail transportation is the best possible option for you, as there are many other transportation options available!

Figment2005

If you search this site you will see the most recent time was earlier this month. Here is what the WDW Disney website says about upcoming monorail operating hours:

Learn about Upcoming Monorail Schedule Modifications
Throughout February and March 2015, monorails may be operating with modified service and routes. During your upcoming visit, please check first with a Cast Member to be sure that monorail transportation is the best possible option for you, as there are many other transportation options available!
Okay, but where does it say that the Ferryboat will be the only transportation option between 12 and 5 as Raven stated? The express beam will not be shut down in any way or form, the resort beam is the one that is effected and that is simply not to service the Contemporary.

Figment2005

i am not sure when he went but I know that in the past several months I have gone to the MK and only the resort monorail and Ferryboats were runnning mid-day to the MK.
If you approached the monorail at say, the perfect time during a train switch, then yes it would seem to be closed. However, there have been absolutely no scheduled mid day shut downs of the express monorail since the scheduled ones for the TCS work.

Figment2005

Which may be what he is referring to. And it seems that it will happen again this Feb and March.
The resort route will be modified around 3 days a week in order to facilitate the work at the Contemporary. It should not be to the extreme that the TCS upgrades were. Also, it is for installing a fire suppression system, not repair work.

raven

The monorails did indeed operate on a split schedule when I used the MK lot in the fall. It took 45 minutes from car to gate then. They May have them open all day now but their hours always seem to be changing, at least I see it posted here on the front page more often than not.

Another issue with the AP disappearing perks and raising costs is the poor economy in FL.

I, like a large % of locals, make less than $10/hour. Rent is extremely high here because it a "preferred" location. Add utility bills, phone bill, Internet, food and gas and there's only about $100 left. I can barely afford an AP as it is but I got it for entertainment purposes. New clothes? Nope. New shoes? Maybe if I save a few months. There really isn't just enough left to spend. A lot of my friends in Orlando can't afford to buy APs at any of the parks. The minimum wage is just too low. So raising AP prices and slashing their savings just kicks that many more locals to the curb.

Victor Kelly

When was this?

Between the 7th and 17th of this month. At that time Express was shut down, then Resort beam followed right before we left. Kinda bogus, allowing only the ferry and busses as the only means of transport midday to evening. I don't buy that it was routine maintenance anymore.

I can attest that the monorails shut down fast after park closing. On the EMH night for MK, you had three choices. Launches for the Poly, the ferries, or bus directly to your hotel. It was not inconvenient since the buses have taken a huge amount of flow away from the ferries. The ferries generally launched with 50 or less aboard. The buses however were standing room only and the lines were backed up every time. This is why that even though we stay on property, we rent a can and just drive.

All that being said, I do agree without being apologetic, that the hotel rail being closed after park close on an EMH night is without fail the stupidest idea ever to come down from TDO. If you stay at a rail resort, you should be able to get there as easily as possible.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I just don't understand why it is such a big deal, and considered alienating, when instead of saving 7 dollars at mini golf, a guest only saves 2. Saving is saving, and like I said before, if that is all they wanted from the annual pass, then I think somebodies priorities are out of order.

Because In the words of Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian, "I am altering the deal, Pray that I do not alter it any further'.

Most (non-locals) of us buy an AP as a package of benefits of which admission is just one factor, If it was strictly economics 10-Day non-expiring would be a better 'deal'.

For many of us Disney altered the terms of the AP halfway through our contract. Mini-Golf annoying but symbolic, for those of us who rent boats that's a price tag in the HUNDREDS of dollars. Especially you were planning to rent a boat before AP expired.

Does Disney have the RIGHT to do this per the language of the contract absolutely YES, Is it a slap in the face of AP holding guests also YES. This could have been accomplished by grandfathering EXISTING AP's under the terms of the contract at time of purchase and new and renewals would be under the new terms.

It's by stuff like this that we get crushing Govt regulations, Enough people scream and regulations/laws get passed to prevent whatever action upset people - simply because some entity could not abide by the 'spirit' of the law and instead like Disney rely on the 'letter' of the law.

afb28

So people around the US should all be like "I just saved $0.30 at the pump. Let's all go to Disney World!"

??? Sadly I think it's gonna take a lot more savings than that. Even a dollar per gallon doesn't justify a $100 ticket.
30cents?

Gas prices have fallen about $1-$1.30 a gallon the last year. Standard tank is 16 gallons so that's $20 per fill and say 26 fills a year so that's $500 extra dollars in your pocket.

Not sure if you realize but when people get an extra $500 they tend to spend it just the same way a stimulus works by the government.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to see that this is how businesses see the market when consumers have more money in their pockets.

jakeman

Because In the words of Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian, "I am altering the deal, Pray that I do not alter it any further'.

Most (non-locals) of us buy an AP as a package of benefits of which admission is just one factor, If it was strictly economics 10-Day non-expiring would be a better 'deal'.

For many of us Disney altered the terms of the AP halfway through our contract. Mini-Golf annoying but symbolic, for those of us who rent boats that's a price tag in the HUNDREDS of dollars. Especially you were planning to rent a boat before AP expired.

Does Disney have the RIGHT to do this per the language of the contract absolutely YES, Is it a slap in the face of AP holding guests also YES. This could have been accomplished by grandfathering EXISTING AP's under the terms of the contract at time of purchase and new and renewals would be under the new terms.
Meh...if you factored non-guaranteed discounts into the purchase price of a product, then that's your fault.

It's an annual pass. It should be bought based on the basic value of having year round admission to the theme parks.

It's by stuff like this that we get crushing Govt regulations, Enough people scream and regulations/laws get passed to prevent whatever action upset people - simply because some entity could not abide by the 'spirit' of the law and instead like Disney rely on the 'letter' of the law.
ghostbust.219a.gif

Always to 11. :rolleyes:

Figment2005

Between the 7th and 17th of this month. At that time Express was shut down, then Resort beam followed right before we left. Kinda bogus, allowing only the ferry and busses as the only means of transport midday to evening. I don't buy that it was routine maintenance anymore.

I can attest that the monorails shut down fast after park closing. On the EMH night for MK, you had three choices. Launches for the Poly, the ferries, or bus directly to your hotel. It was not inconvenient since the buses have taken a huge amount of flow away from the ferries. The ferries generally launched with 50 or less aboard. The buses however were standing room only and the lines were backed up every time. This is why that even though we stay on property, we rent a can and just drive.

All that being said, I do agree without being apologetic, that the hotel rail being closed after park close on an EMH night is without fail the stupidest idea ever to come down from TDO. If you stay at a rail resort, you should be able to get there as easily as possible.
That was definitely unplanned.

actioncookbook

Anyone who is arguing that the AP is a good deal and should be bought on the terms of admission solely--you're absolutely right. It's a good deal and the purpose is being fulfilled by Disney. However, that's looking at an AP in minimum terms.
The reason I love Disney is because they were/aren't just minimum--they go above and beyond. That's what this is about for me. It's cutting back on the smaller stuff that diminishes the magic for me. Everyone has the smaller stuff at Disney that has memories for you and makes your trips special. For me, it was mini golf. With the reduction, Disney has made that magical memory just too expensive to keep doing.

raven

Not sure if you realize but when people get an extra $500 they tend to spend it just the same way a stimulus works by the government.

I'm not sure why it's so hard to see that this is how businesses see the market when consumers have more money in their pockets.

Government stimulus isn't always spent the way the government wants people to spend it, on themselves boosting local or US companies. Many people use it to pay off bills and debts.

I never said I didn't see how businesses use this market. I simply stated when some people save money on gas they use it for other items they got behind on, not always an upgrade on a Disney vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom