Big reduction on Annual Passholder discounts at Walt Disney World mini-golf courses and boat rentals

mhead

My biggest issue is still that I must now pay the same amount for my seven year old's AP as I do for mine. Yes I know I could just buy multi day passes for him but it doesn't make it right that children's regular admission is in fact cheaper than adult prices but for APs that is not the same.

afb28

My issue with those prices going up right now is 3 out of 4 parks are under heavy construction, and that fourth had cuts to entertainment, innovations and rides. With gas prices dropping it would seem the prices of everything else should drop too. Silly me for trying to think logically again.
Gas prices dropping means you have more money in your pocket.

You/Everyone having more money in their pocket means there is more money to be spent so demand can increase and with demand increasing the cost of the good increases.

I know what you mean by it's now cheaper to run WDW buses, rides, etc bc of lower fuel but that just means more savings on the balance sheet while the prices of admission directly relate to supply/demand and when there is more money in your pocket that is an increased demand in a company's eye.

flynnibus

Premium Member
With gas prices dropping it would seem the prices of everything else should drop too. Silly me for trying to think logically again.

not logic but an over simplified view of costs... and how long propagation in the supply chain takes. And not all prices are as elastic as auto fuel. We take for granted that gas is going to be a different cost every time we goto the pump... yet we expect our grocery items, or our consumer items to be stable in price from day to day (minus sales).

Everyone grumbles about 'why aren't prices dropping' when gas falls .30c... yet you don't hear everyone giving a free pass to price increases when gas prices have been up 20% for a long time.

Consumers have this theory that everything is priced based on what it costs - when very few items market prices are directly tied to production cost. Materials cost is just one bucket... and 99.9% of the time, companies are buffering changes in materials cost from directly being reflected in market prices because its too expensive to keep dynamic and customers don't want it.

Long term shifts in costs is where you should see prices go down or up... not changes over a month or two.

J061112C

Buy the premium pass and you get FREE VALET parking except for the tip of course, Seems like WDW's competitor actually WANTS your business.

The chipping away of passholder discounts is one reason why we gave serious consideration to dropping AP's this year. We did purchase Universal Premier AP's so we'll see how things go. I recently received a survey from Universal asking questions about a passholder appreciation month that they're considering. During the month, AP's would receive greater than normal discounts. They are also looking at adding additional benefits for everyday use. While Disney takes away, Universal adds.

J061112C

It's kind of funny listening to everyone complain about the stupid little things Disney takes away from the AP's. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the purpose of buying an AP the fact that it is DISCOUNTED ADMISSION TO THE THEME PARKS? Even the Premium AP breaks down to $57.43/month. So even if you go to 1-park per month, you are still getting over a 36% discount on the admission alone. Factor in the regular or seasonal AP's, and it's an even higher percentage off admission price, while every other guest is paying FULL ADMISSION to the parks. The perks are an added bonus and people should be grateful for any discount beyond park admission. No matter how much people want to argue it, Disney is ALWAYS going to make more money off of regular guests than annual passholders and non-AP's will always be their target market.

Perhaps, but as a consumer, I buy an annual pass for the admission rights, and yes, I do expect additional benefits beyond admission, particularly when competitors like Busch Gardens and Universal are offering admission plus those other benefits. I imagine many others that purchase AP's expect the same, with some exceptions. There's no doubt Disney's primary target market are transient guests. That doesn't change my expectations though.

Victor Kelly

It has sounded like Disney AP holders have been losing benefits for years. My question is why, especially given the cost of an AP?

When we get Hersheypark season passes, we get discounts of food, drinks, merchandise and separate ticket events as well as no parking fees. And since we go enough (four times exceeds what we pay) so we save money on admission.

That being said, what do the AP holders really get as opposed to what they no longer get?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It has sounded like Disney AP holders have been losing benefits for years. My question is why, especially given the cost of an AP?

When we get Hersheypark season passes, we get discounts of food, drinks, merchandise and separate ticket events as well as no parking fees. And since we go enough (four times exceeds what we pay) so we save money on admission.

That being said, what do the AP holders really get as opposed to what they no longer get?

The AP benefits reductions are fairly recent they began in earnest when Premium AP/Premier Passport purchase discount at WDW was reduced from 20% to 10% in 2012 and it's just been downhill from there. I was AT WDW when the cut went into effect, I was NOT pleased.

There are really two discrete AP communities

1 - Locals,
2 - DVC Members

Of the two I think you will find the DVC members are a bit angrier than the locals mainly because of the cuts in service and price increases (MF) at DVC.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The chipping away of passholder discounts is one reason why we gave serious consideration to dropping AP's this year. We did purchase Universal Premier AP's so we'll see how things go. I recently received a survey from Universal asking questions about a passholder appreciation month that they're considering. During the month, AP's would receive greater than normal discounts. They are also looking at adding additional benefits for everyday use. While Disney takes away, Universal adds.

This is because Universal is about GROWING their business and succeeding at it, While at WDW it's about milking a cash cow.

At some point an inflection point will be hit and WDW will be in a world of hurt because right now they are not even positioned to play catch up. Yes they ARE the #1 destination in MCO, But many of the guests are there from the south american oil boom, With the decline of world oil prices the Brazilian economy will take a hit (primary source of S. American Oil) VZ does not count in this case due to capital controls and travel restrictions on ordinary citizens.

Of course the US economy will ALSO take a hit in the oil production sector but that may be balanced by lower prices helping other sectors.

TRONorail12

Perhaps, but as a consumer, I buy an annual pass for the admission rights, and yes, I do expect additional benefits beyond admission, particularly when competitors like Busch Gardens and Universal are offering admission plus those other benefits. I imagine many others that purchase AP's expect the same, with some exceptions. There's no doubt Disney's primary target market are transient guests. That doesn't change my expectations though.

Added benefits by competitors are because they have lower park attendance, so they are scrambling to dangle any biscuit they can in front of people to lure them to annual passes and regular tickets. Disney's attendance has been on the rise, so they have no reason to offer any added benefits. Want a multi-billion dollar company to give you more for free? Try convincing millions of people to stop going to Disney World each year, then they might add some AP benefits back.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Added benefits by competitors are because they have lower park attendance, so they are scrambling to dangle any biscuit they can in front of people to lure them to annual passes and regular tickets. Disney's attendance has been on the rise, so they have no reason to offer any added benefits. Want a multi-billion dollar company to give you more for free? Try convincing millions of people to stop going to Disney World each year, then they might add some AP benefits back.

Keep on drinking the WDW kool-aid, Keep on paying higher and higher prices for a product steadily declining in quality and service. UNI is already on track to exceed at least DHS in attendance and probably AK as well. Will WDW be on top, Yes for a while yet UNI is getting ready to build 10-15,000 rooms which will be priced realistically for the Orlando market.

Soon enough people will vote with their WALLETS and the MK will be the 1-day park it will probably STILL be the #1 park in the Orlando market but WDW is going to have a h--l of a time trying to fill their overpriced hotel rooms. The $2-300 Portofino Bay room are far nicer than anything in Disney's $600-900 inventory and overall level of service at the Lowes hotels far exceeds Disney's

This is the outcome I DO NOT WANT to see, Yet if WDW continues on their current trajectory it will be the future.

afb28

Keep on drinking the WDW kool-aid,
isn't this why we are on a WDW forum?

giphy.gif

Californian Elitist

If this is the case, why does Disney offer their APs in California added benefits?

Victor Kelly

Raven, Disneyland is populated more by locals than international and even national travelers.

Ford 98: I can understand the AP holders being mad. Especially given your explanation of it. Disney has that cash cow and they will milk it.

Victor Kelly

Well then lets see who makes up the majority of AP holders for Disneyland vs Disney World. It has been talked about locals being the driving force for things in Disneyland on these boards for years. Much of the talk from people in the know. Are you saying they don't know what they are talking about?

Victor Kelly

I'll repeat, I don't see why something like that should matter. Fans are fans, local or not.

Sad that some of you are justifying not receiving extra benefits.

Yes Raven, fans are fans no matter what. But how WDW and Disneyland treats their staff and guests appears from many posts, to be different. That is very odd considering it is the same company. Except that each resort is basically its own company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom