Big Hero 6

RAXIP

And there's been serious speculation and conjecture. However, I think the OP may have been referring to not just box office success but rather the failure to capitalize via merchandising. You'd think a Sugar Rush Racers racing set (from Hot Wheels or something) would have been a no-brainer. Or, heck, just take those big Hulk fists they sell, paint them Ralph colored, and sell those. Punch them together and you hear "I'm gonna wreck it!"

Like theses?
levelupstudios-wreckitralph-smashhands-750.jpg

Sped2424

Original Poster
I thought it was good. But they seriously left those supporting characters unused and underdeveloped. THe film should be called Hiro and baymax. As the remaining cast were seriously underutilized. As for the villain he was rather weak as well and needed more time on screen. Good film, but I was hoping for amazing. But if they get these elements down in the sequel (which this film way more than hints at towards the end as this feels like a start up film rather than a stand alone feature) I feel it could be twice as good as the first.

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Just got back form the movie! It was great! 3 year old and 5 year old both loved it. I don't think they moved for the last 30 minutes of the movie they were enthralled. The end (I'm satisfied with my care) I was getting teared up - then the very end I started crying. The movie felt short which it's not (105 minutes) I couldn't believe it when it was over. It was well paced no dull points where I'm looking at my watch. Baymax may beat Olaf for the most lovable side kick.

Bairstow

Just got back from it.
Thought it was very good, but not quite as good as Wreck it Ralph or any of the "good" Pixar movies. The music was especially mediocore, and the Fallout boy song was excruciating.
The general design of the story (shrimpy adolescent is empowered and made to fly by a secret, non-human friend) was heavily reminscent of How to Train Your Dragon. Also, the movie's has a really great sense of humor for it's first 2/3 but then loses it for the last bit. The shift in tone isn't accompanied by any change in visual style and makes the climax and ending a little dull by comparison.
I did like a lot of the really clever visual things the movie does, though, like the way Heero peers through Baymax's stretched skin to look at his internal workings.

Anyone who liked The Incredibles or the Dragon movies should definitely check it out, maybe even in 3D.

I was most impressed by the way Heero was actually written to not be a very good person and in need of constant guidance, and the movie's original twist on the old "revenge won't make it better" trope. It's kind of rare to find a truly flawed child hero character.

I was not impressed by the way the writers succumbed to the climactic "a main character is dead! wait just kidding!" trap. We just saw this at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy, not to mention Wall-E, Frozen, Brave, etc. etc. I can't even imagine little kids fall for this lazy writing trick anymore.

Finally, what was with the after-the-credits sequence and the tremendous lengths it went to to overplay, kill, and finally straight-up explain the joke? When you see Stan Lee for a glimpse on the portrait as they're walking down the hall it's amusing. When you beat the audience over the head with it for half a minute, it's not

Same goes for the Howard the Duck cameo at the end of Guardians.
It's hilarious until you put another credit on the screen explaining the joke.

Tony Perkis

Cute film. Nothing particularly special or memorable, but entertaining enough. It has nothing on The LEGO Movie, though, which is still the benchmark for animated films this year.

Bairstow

Aaaand Hiro and Baymax are now in the parks.
Blinkin' Baymax looks great, but I saw 2-3 more convincing-looking Hiros when I was at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.
Kinda bummed they had to remove Ralph and Venelope to make room for this.

Magenta Panther

Cute film. Nothing particularly special or memorable, but entertaining enough. It has nothing on The LEGO Movie, though, which is still the benchmark for animated films this year.

Not to get into a squabble with you, but I thought the LEGO movie was vastly overrated. Not terrible, but I did wonder what all the fuss was about. Maybe I'd have liked it more if I had actually played with Legos as a kid...

Tom Morrow

Saw it yesterday, I think it's fantastic. Warm, upbeat, hilarious, and beautiful. Maybe a little fluff and some cliche's, but that is to be expected.

Stay until after the credits!
I thought the film had boundless creativity.
It was creative and original but everything was way too meta to be taken too seriously as a film.

Last edited:

SosoDude

Really liked it. My 8yo son really liked it. I thought there werelots of good things in ths movie, and a few things that were slightly cliche, but over all a solid, family friendly, fun, and visually stunning movie. I really hope this leads to a sequal because I would REALLY like to see more of the supporting characters.

A few observations :
Surprised that the audience I was with was almost 50/50 boys AND girls. I would have guessed 75/25.

I, like a previous poster, felt the musical score could have been better, but thought the Fall Out Boys song worked well.

My son seemed to like the supporting characters as much as Hiro and Baymax. During the "super power display" scene, my son leaned over to me and said "thats awesome".

I liked it slightly better than Wreck it Ralph.

Sped2424

Original Poster
The film definitly falls into conventional story types. But the way the humor and with and heart is handled with so much care that you end up overlooking those faults. Overall another solid entry into the disney canon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom