Big Hero 6

SosoDude

There was an online interview with the director about San Fransokyo. Seems like i remember him saying that they wanted the setting to be a very cool city that people would want to live in and be a part of. The result was the blended city of San Fransokyo. I'll try to find the clip and post a link if I can.

Matt_Black

You know, one of the things that strikes me about the film is how much inspiration they seemed to take from Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films*. Yokai's "powers" struck me very much as a blend between Doctor Octopus and the Sandman, and a lot of Hiro's character beats seems similar to Peter Parker's bits in Spidey.

*In the case of Spider-Man 3, they fortunately were only inspired by the GOOD parts. We thankfully didn't get any dancing emo Hiro.

NMBC1993

Just got back from a double dip on the Disney Dream and I figured I'd post my review of Big Hero 6. Right off the bat, let me just say Baymax makes the whole movie. Your going to want one as soon as you walk out of the film..at least I did (thank goodness the exit led right into the gift shop). He has that naive cuteness about him that makes you happy whenever he's on screen. Similar to Toothless or The Iron Giant, he's the lovable abnormal friend to the main character. Without Baymax, this film would have really fallen flat. In a year from now I would love to see the sales numbers between him and Olaf.

As for the rest of the characters, aside from Hiro the rest of the team felt as if they were on standby until the plot needed them. They showed up when necessary, made some jokes or delivered an action scene and it was back to Hiro and Baymax. In a way this film felt like a pilot for a T.V. series, as if there are plans to create a Disney XD show. Did anyone else notice Honey-Lemon was the only one to pronounce Hiro's name a different way but yet there were one or two times she still said it without the accent? That was strange for me. Also, I enjoyed the nod to the comics when Fred mentions his wish to become a giant mutant creature at will.

The action scenes were fantastic, very "Marvel Lite" in tone and exciting to see. During a scene involving Baymax and the villain I couldn't help but think of that shot in Iron Man 1 involving Pepper and the Iron Monger in the hallways of Stark Industries. Speaking of the villain, I'm glad to see the Marvel tradition of creating a lazy foe for the heroes to battle continues in this series. I figured everything out a mile away and wish there was more to his story (although when you find out his motives, it felt like another movie in itself). Although I thought his design was very cool, a cross between Doctor Octopus and Ursula in my eyes.

Overall a very enjoyable film, the film will speak to young boys to curb the Frozen train and Disney's wish to sell a boat-load of toys will be fulfilled. Also, I'm very interested in reading the original comics to compare between this film. It seems a lot was changed.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Did anyone else notice Honey-Lemon was the only one to pronounce Hiro's name a different way but yet there were one or two times she still said it without the accent? That was strange for me.

That was weird, especially considering that her character is one of the least Japanese-looking characters in a universe full of Japanese-looking people.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
That was weird, especially considering that her character is one of the least Japanese-looking characters in a universe full of Japanese-looking people.
Did anyone else notice Honey-Lemon was the only one to pronounce Hiro's name a different way but yet there were one or two times she still said it without the accent?

Honey Lemon is a Latina character the way she says Hiro is the only nod to it though at least in this film.

Sped2424

Original Poster
A lot of people are confused about honey lemon's pronunciation. She is not saying it in a japanese way, but instead with a spanish accent.

She said his name, she greeted him with besos, and she had latin music playing when he meets her. :) If they ever do a sequel I want to know more about the team (like their real names would be a start)

NMBC1993

A lot of people are confused about honey lemon's pronunciation. She is not saying it in a japanese way, but instead with a spanish accent.

Ah I see, I just chalked it up to the whole "San Fransokyo" thing. But that still doesn't change the fact that I counted two times in the film where she says Hiro's name with no trace of an accent whatsoever, then in the next scene the accent would come back. It was probably just a production fluke (according to the interview they went back and forth with the accent, so the editor probably just used the wrong track in the scene) but it still made me scratch my head, especially when she's the only character saying it that way.

wickedsoccer22

I was extremely disappointed in the film. Went into the theater fairly excited but left with no desire to watch it again for a while. Wish I could have enjoyed it. While visually stunning, I felt the plot was very predictable and had subpar humor.

Sped2424

Original Poster
So I got the opportunity to meet baymax today. And in all my years of visiting the parks there has only ever been 2 meet and greets that get me wide eyed like a kid. Tiana and Mickey mouse. Now I can say after visiting baymax there is now 3. There is seriously something so insanely wonderful about seeing baymax in person, and of course I gave him the customary fist bump and we both did the "ba la la lalala" gesture. Seriously I walked out of there smiling like a little kid.

muteki

Did not like the movie. Quite surprised, I wanted to.

I feel like my bar for superhero movies has been set too high with recent releases, and my princess movie bar is comparatively lower, because I liked Frozen and Tangled better.

I feel like Incredibles did the genre better, and proves it can be done as an animated feature, but BH6 came off as a Saturday morning cartoon I watched on tv as a kid, and not in a good way.

Bairstow

Did not like the movie. Quite surprised, I wanted to.

I feel like my bar for superhero movies has been set too high with recent releases, and my princess movie bar is comparatively lower, because I liked Frozen and Tangled better.

I feel like Incredibles did the genre better, and proves it can be done as an animated feature, but BH6 came off as a Saturday morning cartoon I watched on tv as a kid, and not in a good way.

Ever seen The Iron Giant or How to Train Your Dragon?

muteki

Ever seen The Iron Giant or How to Train Your Dragon?
I have seen both, though so long ago that with my memory I can't tell you what I thought about them. Best I can do for Dragon is a vague "better than expected".

I think Iron Giant is on netflix, I should watch it again.

Bairstow

I have seen both, though so long ago that with my memory I can't tell you what I thought about them. Best I can do for Dragon is a vague "better than expected".

I think Iron Giant is on netflix, I should watch it again.

You really should.
It's what got Brad Bird his Incredibles gig.

216bruce

Saw BH6. A lot of fun and well worth seeing.
Baymax was wonderful and, for some reason, the first thing that popped into my brain about him was that he reminded me a lot of Data from Star Trek: Next Gen with the innocence and unintended humor his personality created. The rest of the characters were good, the story was solid, but it's Baymax' movie all the way. There were a couple of plot and character twists that I didn't expect and that was refreshing.

Best Stan Lee cameo ever!

doctornick

Big Hero 6 has now surpassed Tangled's domestic box office gross (BH6 is at $201M and counting, Tangled hit just over $200M). I believe it is yet to open in a lot of foreign markets still, which is keeping its worldwide total modest ($322M now). I think it is likely it will surpass Wreck It Ralph's worldwide box office ($471M) but am curious if it will manage to beat Tangled's worldwide of $591M.

Obviously, it's not coming anywhere near Frozen.

Cesar R M

I still feel sad that they had to change so much from the comics to the current baymax.
They changed a lot of the characters (like Wasabi being a real samurai chef vs the afro guy genious we got now and baymax being a badass hulkish robot vs the cute inflatable one we got now)

ytrKuEk.jpg

left: dunno
Center: baymax in upgrade armor
Right: Hiro in school suit and baymax in his usual "bodyguard" disguise.

Fred really had powers (like he had godzilla's spirit in him, very similar to the DC Comics's spirit warrior of "Apache chief" or Tye Longshadow)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom