News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That's not what I was talking about though. I meant I recall seeing gondolas in the water of the WS Lagoon at the spot near where the outside theater is.
There were no lagoon gondola trips. Can you narrow down the location and I'll try and help?

And to answer the OP, definitely.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's not what I was talking about though. I meant I recall seeing gondolas in the water of the WS Lagoon at the spot near where the outside theater is.
They have/had a gondola in the water outside of the Italy pavilion but I don't remember ever seeing anyone in it. I think it's just a prop. I could be wrong.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ralphlaw

It makes me want to max out the credit cards and book a flight to Tokyo. It actually looks better than the real Venice.

By the way, there originally was supposed to be some kind of gondola ride attraction in the Italy pavilion, but it never came to fruition for some reason. The gondola in the lagoon was just a prop.

Goofyernmost

I believe you can take a gondola ride at Tokyo DisneySea.

View attachment 163858

And now that I look back at my pictures I can confirm that you can take a gondola ride at Tokyo DisneySea.
It makes me want to max out the credit cards and book a flight to Tokyo. It actually looks better than the real Venice.

By the way, there originally was supposed to be some kind of gondola ride attraction in the Italy pavilion, but it never came to fruition for some reason. The gondola in the lagoon was just a prop.
Here's a wild and crazy idea... if you are going to max the old credit cards why not just go to Venice and see the real thing. You would be amazed at how impressive that is. In fact here is a picture of the real thing. I will admit that Tokyo did a fine job, nothing beats the real thing. A bright and shiny Venice is nothing more then a Western image of what we think is nice. It may be neater, but, it sure isn't better.

I agree with the prop in WS. It has always just been floating there and has never, to my knowledge, ever offered rides.

IMG_20151025_045814513.jpg

CIMG0264 - Copy.JPG

Ralphlaw

Here's a wild and crazy idea... if you are going to max the old credit cards why not just go to Venice and see the real thing. You would be amazed at how impressive that is. In fact here is a picture of the real thing. I will admit that Tokyo did a fine job, nothing beats the real thing. A bright and shiny Venice is nothing more then a Western image of what we think is nice. It may be neater, but, it sure isn't better.
]

Thanks for the excellent advice, but I was there last year for 4 days. Amazing time. We were also there three years ago on the Disney Magic. A challenging city in some ways, but it's hard to call yourself a true world traveler if you haven't seen it. Given the rising oceans, who knows how long it be there?

It's also hard to call yourself a true world traveler if you haven't been to Asia, and I haven't--yet. We hosted a foreign exchange student from China last year, but really want to get over there for a major trip before the kids are completely out of the house. Financially, we can't quite swing that one--yet. Kyoto and the Great Wall of China have been bucketing in my brain for a long time, but it now appears that some time at Tokyo DisneySea will have to be budgeted in. World Showcase is probably my favorite place in the world even though I've literally been in seven of the countries with pavilions there. Tokyo DisneySea may be another must see.

jmuboy

I would respectfully disagree that it is a "fine new identity." It's more whimsical and fun, but I think many of the people writing here would assert that its identity is not very targeted. Again, I think Tomorrowland is fun, but for purists who want a discernible identity, it's a bit of a challenge. However, if you want a Tomorrowland that simply contrasts with the jungley Adventureland, or the princessey Fantasyland, or the rootin' tootin' Forntierland, or the patriotic Liberty Square, or the nostalgic Main Street, it does a great job.

I think a potential fatal flaw of Tomorrowland would be for it to take itself too seriously. It certainly does not, which is good. Future World, on the other hand, should have fun elements, but it should also have a more serious and imposing tone. Yes, it should inspire and delight, but it should not drift over to be as goofy and carefree as Tomorrowland.

By the way, that's why the old TTA narration was so delightful. It actually seemed to try to take itself seriously, but obviously it wasn't. Genius. Just like Buzz Lightyear says he is saving the universe from Emperor Zerg in Sector 9, we all know that it's a cartoon adventure. That's why it works. Compare that to Mission Space, which tries to be a serious voyage to Mars with a slight air of intimidation.

If Future World ever becomes overtly goofy and whimsical, we will have lost something great. Which is also why, perhaps, so many people are so appalled by Nemo and the current version of Figment. They are a ridiculous breach of the inspiration and wonder that should be Future World. In some ways, Space Mountain fits far better in Future World than in Tomorrowland, but a touch of wonder, intimidation and seriousness in Tomorrowland keeps the thrill-seekers happy. It's not a cohesive element of Tomorrowland, but it does a great job of giving that little extra jolt to families who want it, and gives a break from the cotton candy of the other attractions. By contrast, Nemo and the current Figment are just out place in Future World. They're like a popcorn popper in the corner of a fine French restaurant.

This is a great assessment of what Tomorrowland and Future World should both try to be ..... similar potentially but very distinct and different missions. Even with the above "missions" both theme areas still need work to make saure all parts of these themed land area targeting the overall direction / theme of the area.

Goofyernmost

Thanks for the excellent advice, but I was there last year for 4 days. Amazing time. We were also there three years ago on the Disney Magic. A challenging city in some ways, but it's hard to call yourself a true world traveler if you haven't seen it. Given the rising oceans, who knows how long it be there?

It's also hard to call yourself a true world traveler if you haven't been to Asia, and I haven't--yet. We hosted a foreign exchange student from China last year, but really want to get over there for a major trip before the kids are completely out of the house. Financially, we can't quite swing that one--yet. Kyoto and the Great Wall of China have been bucketing in my brain for a long time, but it now appears that some time at Tokyo DisneySea will have to be budgeted in. World Showcase is probably my favorite place in the world even though I've literally been in seven of the countries with pavilions there. Tokyo DisneySea may be another must see.
I have been to Tokyo and Osaka but that was during the 1970 Worlds Fair in Osaka. I'm sure a lot has changed since then. However, in Venice I went in 1967 and again in 2015 and not all that much has changed except the canals are much cleaner now.

Stripes

There's a lot planned. Remember a few years ago I said there's big plans for Epcot but I didn't know if or when they'd happen? I can't see it all happening, hence "some".

There just seems too much. But I can't elaborate yet.

Edit. It's not just this park. Which makes it all the more.... curious.
Hey @marni1971
I'm sorry for bringing this up after so long, but the bolded portion of this comment of yours has been puzzling me for quite some time. Are you able to clarify at all what you...meant?

Stripes

Bolded bit? I don't see that.
Hmm...weird. Here's the comment: "There's a lot planned. Remember a few years ago I said there's big plans for Epcot but I didn't know if or when they'd happen? I can't see it all happening, hence "some".

Edit. It's not just this park. Which makes it all the more.... curious."

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hmm...weird. Here's the comment: "There's a lot planned. Remember a few years ago I said there's big plans for Epcot but I didn't know if or when they'd happen? I can't see it all happening, hence "some".

Edit. It's not just this park. Which makes it all the more.... curious."
Gotcha. I'm on my iPhone in IOA. The bold didn't show in your quote of mine.

I meant there's more proposed for all parks. And potentially a lot for Epcot if it all happens.

Stripes

Gotcha. I'm on my iPhone in IOA. The bold didn't show in your quote of mine.

I meant there's more proposed for all parks. And potentially a lot for Epcot if it all happens.
Thanks, that helps! Enjoy your time at IOA! I saw earlier that you were in line to ride Kong, can we expect a little review later? Again, first and foremost, enjoy yourself!

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I have been to Tokyo and Osaka but that was during the 1970 Worlds Fair in Osaka. I'm sure a lot has changed since then. However, in Venice I went in 1967 and again in 2015 and not all that much has changed except the canals are much cleaner now.
Quoting myself because I have to make a correction. I had said that not much had changed, but, I did manage to run across something that wasn't there in 1967.

CIMG0262 - Copy.JPG

CIMG0263 - Copy.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom