News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Bocabear

T

Tomorrowland is arguably a good exception:)
But the 90s redo of Tomorrowland into the Sci Fi Future was a good idea, the problem was they watered it down from there...Stitch came in, Alien Encounter went away, MILF was added replacing the Timekeeper, ..combined with Buzz Lightyear, tomorrowland has become very toon centric, and none of the attractions any longer support the backstory of the land... They need to come up with a cohesive look and narrative.. Something to tie Space Mountain into the rest of the attractions and tie the attractions to the theme of the land... MILF should be jettisoned over to DHS..it would make sense in a PIXAR themed area...We all want stitch to go away...now...lol and the Speedway should really seriously be either themed to match a futuristic city ( Like Hong Kong did with theirs) or just go away completely and make room for something new and placemaking..... Tomorrowland could have and should have remained relevant, the jockying of attractions and non adherance to theme hurt it.

Daveeeeed

But the 90s redo of Tomorrowland into the Sci Fi Future was a good idea, the problem was they watered it down from there...Stitch came in, Alien Encounter went away, MILF was added replacing the Timekeeper, ..combined with Buzz Lightyear, tomorrowland has become very toon centric, and none of the attractions any longer support the backstory of the land... They need to come up with a cohesive look and narrative.. Something to tie Space Mountain into the rest of the attractions and tie the attractions to the theme of the land... MILF should be jettisoned over to DHS..it would make sense in a PIXAR themed area...We all want stitch to go away...now...lol and the Speedway should really seriously be either themed to match a futuristic city ( Like Hong Kong did with theirs) or just go away completely and make room for something new and placemaking..... Tomorrowland could have and should have remained relevant, the jockying of attractions and non adherance to theme hurt it.
It still needs updating more so than other lands, but I definitely agree.

Ralphlaw

Tomorrowland: Welcome to my hodgepodge. Still, I like it for the most part. Once Future World opened at Epcot, its relevance and identity has been questioned. Face it, "Tomorrowland", although a more playful name, really doesn't denote a place that one would predict to be much different from "Future World."

It's kind of like the Transatlantic cruise industry. Up until the 1950's, the quickest and best way to cross the Atlantic was on a fast palace like the Queen Mary or the Queen Elizabeth. Then non-stop flights began, and the whole industry was shaken up. Now, people don't really cruise to get somewhere, they cruise for the onboard experience and to see various ports. The true goal of cruise liner "transportation" disappeared, with jets doing the heavy lifting of getting people across the pond. For over a decade, those huge and fast cruise liners were somewhat lost, identity-less, and unable to return to an earlier time of glory.

Similarly, Tomorrowland has had a shaky identity since Future World opened. It's been getting transformed into a whimsical and IPed look at the future, sort of. Or at least some kind of alternate universe where monsters or aliens roam around with the Carousel family and a bunch of putt-putty cars beside a gleaming white mountain. Yeah, its identity is virtually non-existent, but at least some of the attractions are fun. Of course, if the blue line would return to a worthwhile narration that says something other than, "It's out of this world," that would enhance the place dramatically. I just hope that Future World retains some higher identity, and never becomes Tomorrowland South.

Mike S

Tomorrowland: Welcome to my hodgepodge. Still, I like it for the most part. Once Future World opened at Epcot, its relevance and identity has been questioned. Face it, "Tomorrowland", although a more playful name, really doesn't denote a place that one would predict to be much different from "Future World."

It's kind of like the Transatlantic cruise industry. Up until the 1950's, the quickest and best way to cross the Atlantic was on a fast palace like the Queen Mary or the Queen Elizabeth. Then non-stop flights began, and the whole industry was shaken up. Now, people don't really cruise to get somewhere, they cruise for the onboard experience and to see various ports. The true goal of cruise liner "transportation" disappeared, with jets doing the heavy lifting of getting people across the pond. For over a decade, those huge and fast cruise liners were somewhat lost, identity-less, and unable to return to an earlier time of glory.

Similarly, Tomorrowland has had a shaky identity since Future World opened. It's been getting transformed into a whimsical and IPed look at the future, sort of. Or at least some kind of alternate universe where monsters or aliens roam around with the Carousel family and a bunch of putt-putty cars beside a gleaming white mountain. Yeah, its identity is virtually non-existent, but at least some of the attractions are fun. Of course, if the blue line would return to a worthwhile narration that says something other than, "It's out of this world," that would enhance the place dramatically. I just hope that Future World retains some higher identity, and never becomes Tomorrowland South.
It got a fine new identity distinct from FW in 1994.

Ralphlaw

I would respectfully disagree that it is a "fine new identity." It's more whimsical and fun, but I think many of the people writing here would assert that its identity is not very targeted. Again, I think Tomorrowland is fun, but for purists who want a discernible identity, it's a bit of a challenge. However, if you want a Tomorrowland that simply contrasts with the jungley Adventureland, or the princessey Fantasyland, or the rootin' tootin' Forntierland, or the patriotic Liberty Square, or the nostalgic Main Street, it does a great job.

I think a potential fatal flaw of Tomorrowland would be for it to take itself too seriously. It certainly does not, which is good. Future World, on the other hand, should have fun elements, but it should also have a more serious and imposing tone. Yes, it should inspire and delight, but it should not drift over to be as goofy and carefree as Tomorrowland.

By the way, that's why the old TTA narration was so delightful. It actually seemed to try to take itself seriously, but obviously it wasn't. Genius. Just like Buzz Lightyear says he is saving the universe from Emperor Zerg in Sector 9, we all know that it's a cartoon adventure. That's why it works. Compare that to Mission Space, which tries to be a serious voyage to Mars with a slight air of intimidation.

If Future World ever becomes overtly goofy and whimsical, we will have lost something great. Which is also why, perhaps, so many people are so appalled by Nemo and the current version of Figment. They are a ridiculous breach of the inspiration and wonder that should be Future World. In some ways, Space Mountain fits far better in Future World than in Tomorrowland, but a touch of wonder, intimidation and seriousness in Tomorrowland keeps the thrill-seekers happy. It's not a cohesive element of Tomorrowland, but it does a great job of giving that little extra jolt to families who want it, and gives a break from the cotton candy of the other attractions. By contrast, Nemo and the current Figment are just out place in Future World. They're like a popcorn popper in the corner of a fine French restaurant.

Bocabear

I would respectfully disagree that it is a "fine new identity." It's more whimsical and fun, but I think many of the people writing here would assert that its identity is not very targeted. Again, I think Tomorrowland is fun, but for purists who want a discernible identity, it's a bit of a challenge. However, if you want a Tomorrowland that simply contrasts with the jungley Adventureland, or the princessey Fantasyland, or the rootin' tootin' Forntierland, or the patriotic Liberty Square, or the nostalgic Main Street, it does a great job.

I think a potential fatal flaw of Tomorrowland would be for it to take itself too seriously. It certainly does not, which is good. Future World, on the other hand, should have fun elements, but it should also have a more serious and imposing tone. Yes, it should inspire and delight, but it should not drift over to be as goofy and carefree as Tomorrowland.

By the way, that's why the old TTA narration was so delightful. It actually seemed to try to take itself seriously, but obviously it wasn't. Genius. Just like Buzz Lightyear says he is saving the universe from Emperor Zerg in Sector 9, we all know that it's a cartoon adventure. That's why it works. Compare that to Mission Space, which tries to be a serious voyage to Mars with a slight air of intimidation.

If Future World ever becomes overtly goofy and whimsical, we will have lost something great. Which is also why, perhaps, so many people are so appalled by Nemo and the current version of Figment. They are a ridiculous breach of the inspiration and wonder that should be Future World. In some ways, Space Mountain fits far better in Future World than in Tomorrowland, but a touch of wonder, intimidation and seriousness in Tomorrowland keeps the thrill-seekers happy. It's not a cohesive element of Tomorrowland, but it does a great job of giving that little extra jolt to families who want it, and gives a break from the cotton candy of the other attractions. By contrast, Nemo and the current Figment are just out place in Future World. They're like a popcorn popper in the corner of a fine French restaurant.
Actually the 1994 Fine New Identity really did work...it wasn't until later when the attraction lineup changed that is started to feel out of pace... The point was for it to be a tongue-in-cheek version of the world of the future VS Future World at EPCOT where the fantasy was firmly grounded in science and prediction... In it's current iteration, the lack of narration and updated show scenes on the TTA lesssens the overall theme, MILF has absolutely no connection to the theme whatsoever...nor really does Stitch but this has been discussed ad-nauseum elewhere. They need to get rid of the Speedway or change it thematically, Overhaul Space Mountain to better fit the narrative ( thought it is the closest fit currentl;y of anything in Tomorrowland) get rid of Stitch and send MILF over to DHS... Long ago there was talk of doing a flying saucer attraction in the MILF building...Maybe they could put the planned spinner for DHS in that building instead under a canopy of stars and really create a zany immersive version rather than the open air version planned for the incredibly lame Toy Story Land...

Admiral01

Premium Member
Didn't they have gondola boats in the WS lagoon for short trips at one point? I could have sworn I remember something like that....

I believe you can take a gondola ride at Tokyo DisneySea.

DSC01219.JPG

And now that I look back at my pictures I can confirm that you can take a gondola ride at Tokyo DisneySea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom