News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

co10064

Premium Member
I get what you’re saying but it’s also like saying we shouldn’t have Haunted Mansion and the Little Mermaid ride in MK along with Nemo and Epcot because it’s the same ride system
I also believe Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers are too similar. The problem for me lies in the vehicles themselves (both themed as cars) and the slow dark-ride portion followed by the high speed ending portion.

Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo would be a better differentiator, IMO (though unlikely due to the IP mandate). The ride vehicles themselves aren't supposed to be automobiles.

osian

I think the central question which exposes the flimsiness of DHS's theme though is: what WDW park can NOT be described as "riding the movies" these days?

One of the best paths they could take to give DHS a unique identity is to make it the "non-Disney IP park". Marvel, Lucasfilm, 21st Century Fox, Pixar, throw all of that into one park. It's actually not that far from that already.
Indeed...and I think I made the same point a few months ago in another thread!

Magic Kingdom was built in the image of Disneyland, which others have pointed out, was deisgned for the Disney movie-making marketing ecosystem. (I don't fully agree with that conclusion, but we'll run with that for the time being). It's the natural home for all things Disney animation. Hollywood Studios is now the natural home for all the non-Disney IP. The name "Hollywood Studios" still fits...it's like a fictionalised, virtual studio that has made all these movies that you're now experiencing. Pixar, Marvel etc...all come under the moniker of "Made by Hollywood Studios". Originally, it was built to copy what Universal were doing, but the whole "this is how moves are made" concept has had its day.

I just wish the current Disney board would do the logical and sensible thing and make it so, rather than converting all the other parks into something that is not natural for them and not making the most of the opportunity to expand in that way. DHS could be so much more epic than Epic Universe, with the other parks providing something unique that Universal does not offer.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I also believe Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers are too similar. The problem for me lies in the vehicles themselves (both themed as cars) and the slow dark-ride portion followed by the high speed ending portion.

Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo would be a better differentiator, IMO (though unlikely due to the IP mandate). The ride vehicles themselves aren't supposed to be automobiles.
Nemo and Little Mermaid both have clam shells in omnimovers

I understand what you’re saying though.

Phicinfan

Here's my concern. What if Villians land doesn't happen in either DHS or MK?
My thinking here is...

Cars goes into one of the two, Zootopia may go.

We have multiple insiders who state there are long term designs for a 5th gate. Can you think of a better 5th gate for WDW than a Villians based MK? I proposed this quite a while ago, that you do an almost anti-MK with villians, as your 5th gate in Florida. My fear is they sit on this version for IF they do a 5th gate, which I don't think they ever will, so we don't get the Villians land idea.

doctornick

Does Adventureland really need another boat ride?

Jungle Cruise and POTC aren't really similar rides in any way. And from the concept art, it doesn't seem like Moana would be that similar to either of them as well - it's unclear if it is more of a flume ride like Splash or uses some other technology because there is seemingly a decent sized drop there.

Does anyone go around (saw) DL's Fantasyland and complain that there are too many busbar rides?

Surferboy567

Hear me out: Cars are the villains. They achieved sentience, killed all of humanity, but kept the same form factor for when they used to carry around the meat puppets.
No joke, I thought I saw a comment about this on Twitter the other day.

Something to the effect of cars realizing they don’t need humans so they kill their owner or use them as some sort of puppet. They however, take on the personality of their owner at the time. Explaining why some of their world operates like ours but cars.

Bocabear

Has a Cars overlay at Test Track even been mentioned?
I don't see them building Radiator Springs Racers as presented at DCA...too big, too expensive, too much rockwork and production....and the ride without those things would be sad... I would prefer they leave Carsland in Anaheim...and maybe build Monstropolis or Toontown at DHS...a new Frontierland and a Villain's Lair for MK...converting the current Frontierland to a New Orleans Riverbend....

mattpeto

I’d come around to RSR beyond BTM but it’s definitely not my first choice. I like it being a DL exclusive and honesty it's a big draw for me to get my family out west eventually.

In Brayden's video, he has Frontierland on the chopping block again, I really don't think this will happen. Disney seems excited to share news about Frontierland going forward by their blog posts and obliterating seems to counter that point.

MouseEarsMom33

I’d come around to RSR beyond BTM but it’s definitely not my first choice. I like it being a DL exclusive and honesty it's a big draw for me to get my family out west eventually.

In Brayden's video, he has Frontierland on the chopping block again, I really don't think this will happen. Disney seems excited to share news about Frontierland going forward by their blog posts and obliterating seems to counter that point.
The evolution of Frontierland to Desert land is likely the big news Disney is talking about.

Tha Realest

In my view the Radiator Springs theming (the Main Street, Luigi’s tires, restaurant) is what makes the land special. Plucking out just the ride and dropping it next to BTMRR feels cheap and misses the point completely.

To be honest, it’s recreating the mistake WDW did with POTC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom