News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

TalkingHead

I just think you could potentially successfully theme a transitional area to Santa Monica Boulevard or something and have road signs to Route 66 as a fun bit of connection. Certainly better than putting race cars behind Big Thunder, IMO.
Which has nothing at all to do with the park‘s Hollywood theme other than another IP movie, got it.

BasiltheBatLord

Villians Land is such a great idea which fans have been speculating about for decades, but I have little confidence that they will actually do it justice. They'd probably make it super lame somehow.

If Villians are really going to DHS then my guess is it would be because they're trying to make it more of the "thrilling/adult" park. But it would be a good fit for MK, certainly a better fit than any of the other themes being discussed so far. Having two castles, a light and a dark, in MK would be really cool imagery.

James Alucobond

Which has nothing at all to do with the park‘s Hollywood theme other than another IP movie, got it.
I didn't say it did? I just said that, if they're going to do it, Hollywood Studios is probably less offensive than behind Big Thunder and could provide an opportunity to transition to it a bit more gracefully. HS has already gone pretty much all-in on "enter worlds from movies" anyway, unlike the other three parks.

In the Parks
No
What if Beyond never happens?
1712720116943.png

[anyone recognize this movie still?]

UNCgolf

Route 66 did run through Los Angeles to its termination point in Santa Monica, meaning they could conceivably theme it as leaving LA on Route 66 out into the desert.

Of course then you have problems leaving a realistic Los Angeles to a Cars area (also that you'd to go through the San Jacinto mountains), but Hollywood Studios has mostly punted on any cohesive theme outside of Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard anyways.

Not that I think it's a great idea, but I do think it makes more sense than putting it at the MK, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:

celluloid

View attachment 778265

[anyone recognize this movie still?]

I wish I didn't. Never saw it but aware of it through pop culture.

Also Rdiator Springs was an Arizona inspired town. If we are justifying leaving California as a theme to Hollywood Studios....
We are really reaching to place IP everywhere as much as Bob Iger wants to.

What if the characters were not in the world we know from the movie, but start with them leaving that place to go to that place. Even though the park is themed to california, none of the attraction once it starts takes place there.

It also has nothing to do with movie making. So it fits zero!

doctornick

I wish I didn't. Never saw it but aware of it through pop culture.

Also Rdiator Springs was an Arizona inspired town. If we are justifying leaving California as a theme to Hollywood Studios....
We are really reaching to place IP everywhere as much as Bob Iger wants to.

What if the characters were not in the world we know from the movie, but start with them leaving that place to go to that place. Even though the park is themed to california, none of the attraction once it starts takes place there.

It also has nothing to do with movie making. So it fits zero!

DHS isn't really about "moving making" any more. It's about "riding the movies". If they added Cars Land to DHS and allowed guests to visit Radiator Springs, that absolutely fits that park. Just as it does with visiting Andy's backyard or Batuu. And, yes, Zootopia works as well, though I think Cars Land in general seems like a more appealing addition (in particular that it has 3 attractions and DHS needs as many as possible).

celluloid

DHS isn't really about "moving making" any more. It's about "riding the movies". If they added Cars Land to DHS and allowed guests to visit Radiator Springs, that absolutely fits that park. Just as it does with visiting Andy's backyard or Batuu. And, yes, Zootopia works as well, though I think Cars Land in general seems like a more appealing addition (in particular that it has 3 attractions and DHS needs as many as possible).
Sort of.
We get what it is not about with the last two additions.

But yet, it still has multiple things left over that have "movie making" in the sense of Hollywood that never was and always will be. For how long who knows, but have stood for decades at same time.

Indy Stunt spectacular.
Backlot Express
Rocknrollercoaster
Muppet Vision 3D
Walt Disney Presents
Sci FI Dine-in
Star Wars Launch Bay

That's still three major attractions and establishments to compliment as well as other things sprinkled throughout. Still a quarter of the park plus.
Then some of the quasi ones put the magic of the movies in show business history and premiers of movie making glitz.
The backstory of Tower of Terror
The conceit of Runaway Railway.

Yeah, Toy Story Land and Battu made it more immersive land based than Hollywood. But those are just the two recent major additions.

Studios is still in the name and throughout. It does not have to be abandoned completely. And it does not need to be behind the scenes factoids people know well now to keep the studios connection.

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

I think the central question which exposes the flimsiness of DHS's theme though is: what WDW park can NOT be described as "riding the movies" these days?

One of the best paths they could take to give DHS a unique identity is to make it the "non-Disney IP park". Marvel, Lucasfilm, 21st Century Fox, Pixar, throw all of that into one park. It's actually not that far from that already.

JaKnight

If "Desert Land" ends up being real, what IPs could go there? Because if they rule out Cars, they don't have much left. Besides Woody, what other IP could they use? The Lone Ranger (That bombs,)?

Ragerunner

MK - Villains land seems to fit and it would not be a single IP themed land.

DHS - I actually would like to see the Moana flume ride here. That parks needs something with more vegetation and a water based ride system.

AK - Indiana Jones and Encanto work. Then add a coaster ride experience to Pandora.

EPCOT - Incredibles for WoL, bring back Mary Poppins, add Coco to Mexico and then build an India or Brazil Pavilion.

osian

I get what you’re saying but it’s also like saying we shouldn’t have Haunted Mansion and the Little Mermaid ride in MK along with Nemo and Epcot because it’s the same ride system
No, re-read what I said, I'm saying that the same "technical" ride system does not make two rides similar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom