AVATAR land construction progress

articos

I think what @articos was referring to was what is currently being built in that we are not going to see them open it as soon as lets say the boat ride, but nothing else, is complete.

There is noting precluding them from adding on later.
Right. It's not a NFL where it's one thing here, another piece there.
Hey, thanks for posting here! This has always seemed (to me) to be a very dedicated but smaller group of people that are following the progress of the Pandora expansion. We always welcome more posters.

I would imagine that once more of the floating mountain structure is erected, that more people might be joining in on the discussion. :)
You're welcome. I had not come through here yet. The mountains are going to be i m p r e s s i v e.

RobUK

It looks amazing and all that, and I haven't been for six years, but is there a danger of it being too huge and overbearing? My experience of AK was that it was 'real', whereas here comes this pseudo sci-Fi area that could look unwieldy and out of place. I'm still massively excited though.

JordanNite

This still planned to open in 2017? I hear Disney adding workers to move this faster

r
images

JordanNite

It looks amazing and all that, and I haven't been for six years, but is there a danger of it being too huge and overbearing? My experience of AK was that it was 'real', whereas here comes this pseudo sci-Fi area that could look unwieldy and out of place. I'm still massively excited though.

You obviously didn't walk to DinoLand.

devoy1701

My hope that both the land AND attractions will be absolute home runs is based on two factors:

1. NFL, although absolutely beautiful (especially at night), did not add a large, total knockout E-Ticket ride, and I think that the guest response reflects that to an extent. I don't know how many visits we have had since NFL opened and the LM dark ride is pretty much a walk-on for us. That could have been a killer dark ride but it wasn't. I am happy with the 7DMT as it is and I think it fulfilled its purpose tremendously, but for me, the LM attraction could have been much better.
2. The success of Diagon Alley I think really demonstrated that coupling an incredibly themed land with killer attractions creates a HUGE attendance boost and keeps people coming back. I think that everyone pretty much agrees that DAK goes all out for theming. For me, it is the best park from a theming perspective in Orlando. Now the rides need to live up to the theming, and I just don't see James Cameron allowing the rides that will represent HIS brand to be sub-par.

Keeping these points in mind, I am maintaining a very positive outlook about both the theming and the rides.

But man, do we ever need more overhead high res photos!

Carsland did it before Diagon Alley did...need to give WDI kudos where it's deserved. Carsland and Diagon Alley I think do a wonderful job of showing where the "next phase" of themed lands is going. It's one thing to have an immersive attraction, but to be paired with a complete immersion into the setting of the story (Radiator Springs) where the attraction (Radiator Springs Racers) is just a part of the experience is truly mesmerizing. I haven't had a chance to get to Diagon Alley yet, but Carsland is hands down my favorite "themed land" that I've experienced. I hope the same care and detail is put into Avatarland.

Mike S

Carsland did it before Diagon Alley did...need to give WDI kudos where it's deserved. Carsland and Diagon Alley I think do a wonderful job of showing where the "next phase" of themed lands is going. It's one thing to have an immersive attraction, but to be paired with a complete immersion into the setting of the story (Radiator Springs) where the attraction (Radiator Springs Racers) is just a part of the experience is truly mesmerizing. I haven't had a chance to get to Diagon Alley yet, but Carsland is hands down my favorite "themed land" that I've experienced. I hope the same care and detail is put into Avatarland.
One thing I noticed with Cars Land when I was there is that you can still see much of the rest of the park when inside. For complete immersion, Diagon Alley wins hands down.

devoy1701

One thing I noticed with Cars Land when I was there is that you can still see much of the rest of the park when inside. For complete immersion, Diagon Alley wins hands down.
Only if you're standing all the way against RSR and looking back out towards the entrance. When you're looking into the land (and walking it), the immersion is pretty solid. I'm not sure it's fair to compare a 12-acre site to Diagon Alley for sight lines.

Mike S

Only if you're standing all the way against RSR and looking back out towards the entrance. When you're looking into the land (and walking it), the immersion is pretty solid. I'm not sure it's fair to compare a 12-acre site to Diagon Alley for sight lines.
Just my personal opinion. Also I was able to see ToT from the middle of the land. I still loved it there.

CTXRover

Agree. That was the only thing that was a bit of a let down. Seeing TOT looming over the land sort of took you out of it. But when by RS and walking through the queue and while on the ride (as long as you don't look left when about to enter the showbuilding ;)) is truly immersive.

flyerjab

Right. It's not a NFL where it's one thing here, another piece there.

You're welcome. I had not come through here yet. The mountains are going to be i m p r e s s i v e.

The other part to this, however, is will the rides be equally as impressive. I think that DAK has really proven itself to be one of the best themed parks in the business regarding immersion. What others on here want more evidence from Disney concerns the rides. Will Disney produce rides that are as excellent as the immersive environment that they are creating.

MerlinTheGoat

So now that construction is finally well underway, I have a couple of question i'd like to ask specifically about the boat ride, anyone who has knowledge of it. I understand if you can't answer, but i'll try to be vague enough that you might be able to answer. They're mostly regarding the type of expectations I should set. So for anyone like @articos @Lee @marni1971 or anyone else, here are my (hopefully vague enough and answerable) questions-

1- Approximately how long (time wise) will the boat ride be? Just a ballpark figure would be great.
2- What will the thrill level be? Flat and slow like IASW/Land/Mexico, or with drop(s) like POTC or higher?
3- What would be the ACTUAL realistic "ticket" (A, B, C, D or E ticket) ranking in terms of scale/quality?
4- Approximately what percent of the ride uses physical sets and AA's? Versus how much is video I mean.

In regards to question 3, I realize leaked blueprints labeled the boat ride as a C ticket, but i'm asking again because plans can change in three years. I hope it's better than a C ticket. 7DMT and even Mermaid were both reportedly classified as D tickets internally. The prospect of a possibly lesser attraction than Mermaid isn't a comforting thought. Especially given that it will be only one of two potentially good rides (not counting the carnival spinner nonsense) in the park without a height limit (or for people who are averse to thrills). So I want the ride to be good.

Any other information we haven't heard yet would be welcome as well if you guys can provide it, but those four questions are my main points of concern at the moment.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom