AVATAR land construction progress

HauntedMansionFLA

Has there been any indication about whether this will open in phases or if it will just open when all the components are complete? Some of the work seems pretty far along for a late 2017 opening.

I'd be happy if they at least opened up the paths in that area before 2017...to get a closer look.
I agree with everything the people posted before this. Disney probably has learned its lesson when it open NFL in phases and had a Luke warm reception from guests.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree with everything the people posted before this. Disney probably has learned its lesson when it open NFL in phases and had a Luke warm reception from guests.
While I have never been fond of phased openings, opening NFL in phases actually made sense. It was an expansion of an existing land (a land with major capacity issues to boot) and not an entirely new land. In that case, you open up whatever you can, as soon as you can.

djkidkaz

From today:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

HauntedMansionFLA

The photos with people in them are really helping to establish the scale of the floating mountains. Enormous is the word I would choose.
Yes, the floating mountain looks like it's taller than the ride facility. I'm surprised no one hasn't tried to use a selfie stick and try to take a picture of what's going on beyond the fence. Good stuff!
The white structure might be part of the boat ride?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I like it also. However it does squash my .0001% chance of hope that they would be adding that coaster in later. :( Oh, well.
I think what @articos was referring to was what is currently being built in that we are not going to see them open it as soon as lets say the boat ride, but nothing else, is complete.

There is noting precluding them from adding on later.

flyerjab

Expect it to open as one land when complete, not in phases.

Hey, thanks for posting here! This has always seemed (to me) to be a very dedicated but smaller group of people that are following the progress of the Pandora expansion. We always welcome more posters.

I would imagine that once more of the floating mountain structure is erected, that more people might be joining in on the discussion. :)

IWant2GoNow

I think what @articos was referring to was what is currently being built in that we are not going to see them open it as soon as lets say the boat ride, but nothing else, is complete.

There is noting precluding them from adding on later.
.0001% chance restored! Haha.

Whether they add on in the future or not, I'm still pleased we're getting this boat ride. I'm actually more intrigued by that than the Soarin-esque ride at the moment. When more details roll out, that may change but I'm glad we're not waiting all this time for just ONE attraction.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Whether they add on in the future or not, I'm still pleased we're getting this boat ride. I'm actually more intrigued by that than the Soarin-esque ride at the moment. When more details roll out, that may change but I'm glad we're not waiting all this time for just ONE attraction.
I too like what I am seeing so far.

P_Radden

I'm actually looking forward to learning more about the boat ride. BUT I pray they do not cheap out like they did with Kali River Rapids.. Really really hoping to be wow'd by WDI with the whole Pandora project.

IWant2GoNow

I'm actually looking forward to learning more about the boat ride. BUT I pray they do not cheap out like they did with Kali River Rapids.. Really really hoping to be wow'd by WDI with the whole Pandora project.
The boat ride and the bioluminescent plants, as well as the rest of the atmosphere, is what I'm really wanting to be knock-out awesome. I was underwhelmed with NFL but it looks gorgeous. Is it sad that all I get hyped for out of Disney anymore is "atmosphere" and not ride experiences?

Figment2005

The boat ride and the bioluminescent plants, as well as the rest of the atmosphere, is what I'm really wanting to be knock-out awesome. I was underwhelmed with NFL but it looks gorgeous. Is it sad that all I get hyped for out of Disney anymore is "atmosphere" and not ride experiences?
People want to be immersed when they come to Disney. That is the big advantage that keeps them steadily growing, even when "better" attractions are being built down the street. Of the four parks, Animal Kingdom is the only one that keeps the guests 100% immersed 99% of the time... Chester&Hester keep that from being 100%. Instead of making single attractions immersive, Disney makes the attraction and the area completely immersive.

On the note of NFL, the land itself is extremely immersive and well done, and this helps to balance out the fact that little mermaid and Mine Train are not what some feel they should have been.

flyerjab

People want to be immersed when they come to Disney. That is the big advantage that keeps them steadily growing, even when "better" attractions are being built down the street. Of the four parks, Animal Kingdom is the only one that keeps the guests 100% immersed 99% of the time... Chester&Hester keep that from being 100%. Instead of making single attractions immersive, Disney makes the attraction and the area completely immersive.

On the note of NFL, the land itself is extremely immersive and well done, and this helps to balance out the fact that little mermaid and Mine Train are not what some feel they should have been.

My hope that both the land AND attractions will be absolute home runs is based on two factors:

1. NFL, although absolutely beautiful (especially at night), did not add a large, total knockout E-Ticket ride, and I think that the guest response reflects that to an extent. I don't know how many visits we have had since NFL opened and the LM dark ride is pretty much a walk-on for us. That could have been a killer dark ride but it wasn't. I am happy with the 7DMT as it is and I think it fulfilled its purpose tremendously, but for me, the LM attraction could have been much better.
2. The success of Diagon Alley I think really demonstrated that coupling an incredibly themed land with killer attractions creates a HUGE attendance boost and keeps people coming back. I think that everyone pretty much agrees that DAK goes all out for theming. For me, it is the best park from a theming perspective in Orlando. Now the rides need to live up to the theming, and I just don't see James Cameron allowing the rides that will represent HIS brand to be sub-par.

Keeping these points in mind, I am maintaining a very positive outlook about both the theming and the rides.

But man, do we ever need more overhead high res photos!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom