AVATAR land construction progress

flyerjab

I certainly understand the business side of appealing to the largest demographic possible, but do we really want that?

Part of the reason Epcot is the way it is vs. what it was in the 80s-90s was an appeal to the masses. At minimum we lost WoM and Horizons due to the quest to add more thrilling rides. In addition to that WS has been turned into a labyrinth of food kiosks and an entire country is just shy of being turned into a fictional place.

I am all for adding attractions into AK, but not at the sacrifice of the heart of that park.

I for one have never had an issue spending all day at AK even without going on every attractions they currently have, let alone the addition of Pandora.

Completely agree. In my own opinion, this is a full day park from open to close for me, and that is without doing everything. There is more than enough for a family to do, as long as people appreciate it for its true intent. For those that like rides only and have no interest in animals or the conservation message, then they shouldn't even bother. Not even Pandora with the E-Ticket simulator, boat ride, etc., and the RoL show will be enough. And that is fine too because we all have our own likes/dislikes as far as theme parks are concerned.

I think it stands on its own perfectly fine.

RSoxNo1

My proposal for further improving the Animal Kingdom beyond Avatar would be as follows:
  • Demolish Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama and put in an Australia section
  • Add a dark ride or animal exhibit between Africa and Pandora
  • Add a new animal walk through in Asia, or remove Maharajah Jungle Trek and relocate it with added animals like Red Pandas, Giant Pandas, Orangutans, Asian Elephants and Snow Leopards
  • Extend Kali River Rapids
  • Fix Expedition Everest
  • Upgrade DINOSAUR

ctxak98

My proposal for further improving the Animal Kingdom beyond Avatar would be as follows:
  • Add a new animal walk through in Asia, or remove Maharajah Jungle Trek and relocate it with added animals like Red Pandas, Giant Pandas, Orangutans, Asian Elephants and Snow Leopards
  • Fix Expedition Everest
  • Upgrade DINOSAUR
instead of removing chester and hesters, I think there is another plot still where australia could potentially go. That way we can jjst get something else for DINOLAND to help it.

Zac Skellington

• Fix Expedition Everest
  • Upgrade DINOSAUR
REMOVE Maharajah Jungle Trek!? What is this, April Fool's Day?

doctornick

I think they should level C&H's, but keep the Dino Institute/Bone Yard theme. Maybe Jurassic World will remind Disney that dinosaurs are interesting.

I think most of us would be fine if they removed C&H's and replaced it with The Excavator roller coaster that was originally planned for that space.

That said, I personally would rather Disney focuses on adding more stuff (esp more rides) before spending money replacing Dinorama. I'm no fan of Dinorama, but I'd rather have those rides present and see money directed towards additions rather than replacements. Once the park is up to a larger number of total rides, then fixing Dinorama would be prudent.

So, I'd build an Australian or South American land on the huge undeveloped northern plot. Or put in a "Critter Country" type area based on Disney cartoon animals somewhere (like off the path between Africa and Pandora) before removing Dinorama.

EdC

I agree with both posts. My wife and I simply Love DAK park. It is by far are favorite and have never considered it a half day park. yes, if all you do is go on a few rides you can be out before noon, but we always take our time and enjoy most of the shows and do a slow leisurely walk around the most beautiful park we have seen. Cannot wait for all of the new additions.
We also like DAK. It's a shame we had to end our day there early when DS2 got his finger nail forcibly removed at the end of the safari. The Wilderness Explorer (? right name?) program for kids seemed really good.

Next Big Thing

That's the problem. It seems a lot of tourists expect more rides and assume it's a theme park like other theme parks. They aren't prepared to spend time exploring the non attraction areas save for a cursory glance.

Avlands short simulator and possible C ride won't add the needed hours for those people to kill before the night show. The park still needs more attractions to appeal to all demographics. And I say that as someone that wants DAK to get all the help it needs and to be able to pull its own weight and stand on its own.
Have you heard of any rumors regarding new attractions at the park post-Avatar?

djkidkaz

I agree that Dinosaur, Kali and Everest need to be fixed whether thats before or after Avatar opens, it just needs to get done. But in regards to expanding the park I would love to see another animal exhibit like others have mentioned, #1 vote being for pandas and a family dark ride added somewhere.

One other thing I really wish would happen would be to expand the train. Its an absolutely gorgeous train but only goes to Rafikis. Or maybe if they just replaced Rafikis with something more exciting it would be worth riding. Im hoping that when this new Harambe market area opens that there will at least be increased visibility to actually see the train from that section. And in regards to transportation at the park, I wouldn't mind them adding back the river boats as a mode to get around the park. Don't list it as an attraction, just label it "boat to Harambe", or "boat to Anandapur" or whatever. Let me board it near Festival of the Lion King and get off near Everest with maybe one stop in the middle somewhere.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I've seen a great reimagineering rendering that included Antarctica. It was located in between nemo and Everest at the tip of the river. The whole area was enclosed with a couple kiddie rides (think- little mermaid at Disney Sea) as well as polar bear, penguin, and arctic fox exhibits and a "polar bear" dark ride.
South America and Australia are the two "go-tos", but Antarctica or even North America (bison, bears, etc) would be great as well. The train could always lead to the great American frontier and pass bison on your way up to whatever can expand there. Just some thoughts.

DAK is my favorite park too for what it's worth
Just FYI...the polar bear and arctic fox are only found in the northern hemisphere.

Incomudro

DAK is a huge favorite for my family.
As far as theming goes, it's probably our no. one park.
We love the major rides; Everest competes for top honors with TT and Aerosmith, Dinosaur and Kali are great, though sometimes the kids are reluctant to get wet. The Safari is fantastic.
That's four big rides - I sometimes wonder why AK gets accused of lacking in major rides.
Walk the animal trails, take the train to Rafiki's and you've got a pretty full day.
Oh, and Flights of Wonder is so worth seeing.
Last year we added the guided treck through the Safari and loved every minute of it.

Mike S

Ask and you shall receive.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom