AVATAR land construction progress

dstrawn9889

Correct. A good deal of the problem was who gets the bill, WDI or park operations. The other harsh reality is a static yeti has not reduced the attraction's popularity.
and that you have moving --Heavy-- animatronics that could, if they break, protrude into the rider envelope... think legal likely is part of the problem with the Yeti

dstrawn9889

exactly where are there moving heavy AA objects directly above the ride envelope on a ride moving at greater than 25 MPH?... i am not talking about the pirates in POTC... they are neither as heavy or likely to decapitate someone because people cannot move their heads out of the way in time

celluloid

I don't know its exact thrust speed but the Whomping Willow and a few other effects within Forbidden Journey come close. Or, to look at it another way, the ride vehicles that the guests ride in could interfere with the envelope of the set pieces and animated figures.

Also, King Kong did it for years.
Jurassic Park River Adventure has "fail safes" on the T-rex so that if it lost all power it could not crush anyone in the boat taking the dive beneath it.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
exactly where are there moving heavy AA objects directly above the ride envelope on a ride moving at greater than 25 MPH?... i am not talking about the pirates in POTC... they are neither as heavy or likely to decapitate someone because people cannot move their heads out of the way in time
The Splash Mountains spring to mind. But neither they nor EE are doing anywhere near 20mph at that stage.

Or back to basics UoE. The Bronto could do the same damage.

But we have a whole thread dedicated to the topic.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The Splash Mountains spring to mind. But neither they nor EE are doing anywhere near 20mph at that stage.

Or back to basics UoE. The Bronto could do the same damage.

But we have a whole thread dedicated to the topic.

A decade ago on this here boards, I learned that some young uns don't know what a brontosaurus is.

whats a brontosaurus?

Also,

PorterRedkey

IMHO, Disney parks are evidence to the contrary. EPCOT, Disney-MGM (both in their original themes, of course), AK... definitely not heavy on rides. Several non-Disney brands have also shown that rides are not required. Universal Studios in Hollywood was extremely popular, without having any real rides for many years. Also, Sea World for many years had no real rides.

I think that is the difference between an amusement park and theme park. Each has a different business plan for attracting guests.

My personal opinion is that most of the parks I noted have strayed from their original vision just to compete with Six Flags types of parks, and that those changes take away from what made theme parks special to begin with.
So do you think more people will come to AK for RIver's of Light (which I can't wait for!) or Avatarland and its two rides? If you answer honestly, I think we can agree that Avatarland will win.
The parks need both but, adding Meet and Greets and calling them new attractions just doesn't cut it for a couple who has no kids. (We do enjoy some MnG's)

The difference between Six Flags and Disney is not the frequency that they add rides, it is all about the quality, detail and imagination put into the attractions that are built.

The simple truth is they don't have to add rides because people still go. I am glad to see that is changing now.

PorterRedkey

I understand your need for rides, but a park that focuses only on rides is known as an amusement park. Theme parks on the other hand need to focus on the entire experience and sometimes that includes more than just rides.
Thank you for telling what a theme park is. I haven't been to an amusement park since '92, unless you count DCA.

This quote was in the context of the 11-year gap between a major ride at AK. I don't need only rides, just some new rides, at least one a decade. I also said that AK is my favorite park (since Epcot 91). Do you really think that would be the favorite park of someone who only wants rides? Give me a little credit.
Amusement parks have unthemed/barely-themed rides and theme parks have themed environments and well-themed rides. I am not saying they should, but Disney could build a well-themed ride in a well-themed environment every year and still be a theme park. It takes a mix and now (11 years after EE) we are getting more than a few rides, but a whole land, and night show! Yay!

twebber55

So do you think more people will come to AK for RIver's of Light (which I can't wait for!) or Avatarland and its two rides? If you answer honestly, I think we can agree that Avatarland will win.
The parks need both but, adding Meet and Greets and calling them new attractions just doesn't cut it for a couple who has no kids. (We do enjoy some MnG's)

The difference between Six Flags and Disney is not the frequency that they add rides, it is all about the quality, detail and imagination put into the attractions that are built.

The simple truth is they don't have to add rides because people still go. I am glad to see that is changing now.
the truth of the matter is you could probably never know the answer to that.
to me a new land is more important to a park than a 15 minute show, JMO of course
im sure there will be a surge this year and next year
i could see this for DAK
10,000,000 2015
11,000,000 2016
12,000,000 2017

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
the truth of the matter is you could probably never know the answer to that.
to me a new land is more important to a park than a 15 minute show, JMO of course
im sure there will be a surge this year and next year
i could see this for DAK
10,000,000 2015
11,000,000 2016
12,000,000 2017

Hard to say how it will play out. SW is such a big deal culturally that I could see many postponing trips until after that opens regardless of Avatarland. I think that Avland will be very, very well done. So, I could see an initial surge that is smaller than expected (I have no idea what the precise number would be) followed by constant long-term popularity. That is my very specific qualitative opinion.

twebber55

Hard to say how it will play out. SW is such a big deal culturally that I could see many postponing trips until after that opens regardless of Avatarland. I think that Avland will be very, very well done. So, I could see an initial surge that is smaller than expected (I have no idea what the precise number would be) followed by constant long-term popularity. That is my very specific qualitative opinion.
yeah i ve heard that before but i have a hard time believing people will delay a vacation for 3/4 years just for star wars, i wouldnt

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
yeah i ve heard that before but i have a hard time believing people will delay a vacation for 3/4 years just for star wars, i wouldnt

I don't think it is a big group either. However, there is a group who go once or twice a decade. There is another group (of which I'm a part) wherein the opening of new lands/rides/shows/ is not the main driver of when we go. So, I think it is hard to guess. But, I'm really talking about a marginal effect that will probably only be noticed by those who get money to analyze such things.

PhilharMagician

I wouldn't have a problem postponing a trip. Right now I don't a value at all in visiting DHS and it is only going to get worse before it gets better. I can wait to go to WDW. Get some of this construction done and I'll stop in for a visit.

BubbaQuest

I am. It's possible I might go to AK in 2017 to check out Avatar if I'm already at Uni to check out Volcano Bay and if the crowds at AK sound manageable after the summer and all fastpasses aren't sold out 6 months in advance.

Otherwise I'm not thinking of returning to DW until Star Wars is done and I start reading some positive reviews.

And most importantly, my first off topic post!!!!!

twebber55

I am. It's possible I might go to AK in 2017 to check out Avatar if I'm already at Uni to check out Volcano Bay and if the crowds at AK sound manageable after the summer and all fastpasses aren't sold out 6 months in advance.

Otherwise I'm not thinking of returning to DW until Star Wars is done and I start reading some positive reviews.

And most importantly, my first off topic post!!!!!
oh i agree some people will but i think it will be marginal to where it wont greatly affect the total park attendance much

EDIT: i too apologize for the off topic discussion

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom