AVATAR land construction progress

JohnWD

Here are a couple of the pics from damouse.com that I found interesting...View attachment 132239

This one at the bottom, it looks like they are putting concrete over the steel support frames (vines) for the floating mtns.

View attachment 132240

This one looks like they may be using the big crane to do some work on that top little mountain.
Hey, don't interrupt the Off topic discussion with on topic pictures!

Figment2005

I am not an angry person, so it is not rage. It's just that my expectation that if you have a theme park, you build rides. Sure there is room for other types of experiences, but rides bring people to the parks. 11 years is just too long, IMHO, to wait for a new crowd puller.

Oh AK is my favorite park by the way.
I understand your need for rides, but a park that focuses only on rides is known as an amusement park. Theme parks on the other hand need to focus on the entire experience and sometimes that includes more than just rides.

doctornick

I understand your need for rides, but a park that focuses only on rides is known as an amusement park. Theme parks on the other hand need to focus on the entire experience and sometimes that includes more than just rides.

With building a few more rides, DAK would not suddenly "focus only on rides". Even after Pandora is done, it will only have 8-9 rides, it could use a few more beyond that. And it wouldn't take away from the other excellent features of the park (the animal exhibits, the quality shows, the education at Rafiki's and the general park vibe).

Nobody is asking for DAK to go and build 20 or 30 rides and become an "amusement park".

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
agree huge double standard and im pro universal but you cant have it both ways
you cant complain about IPs Disney is using in the parks then praise the work
Universal is doing
Of course you can.

Not double standards per se but more going with the precedent set. Universal and IOA has almost exclusively been IP based.

twebber55

Assuming you're correct, why should WDW follow another companies route?

But we digress.
im not right or wrong about anything nor could I care less about theme parks using IPs or not, build great attractions with great execution is all i care about
point i was making is dont complain about disney using too many IPs and then praise Universal for using Kong and HP

EDIT: sorry for being off topic, back to construction

djkidkaz

It still would not shock me at all if after the Avatar construction is competed next year that Everest goes down for a moderate-length rehab that will include fixing the oft derided yeti.

No way that Chester and Hester's is removed/replaced. That was done on the cheap and I bet that WDW sees it as a large space that real small kids will appreciate. Not saying that they can't/won't appreciate Harambe and Anandapur, just that carni-games and cartoonish dino rides are much easier for them to appreciate. Do I wish that they would change it? I suppose. But I would rather that they add on to DAK first as opposed to change something.

As far as adding IPs, I am not completely against it, as long as it is done the right way. A dark ride of the legend of the Lion King would be nice, giving it a slightly different interpretation. I am for shutting down Kali and expanding it, with maybe adding a few more animal exhibits to that area. This one is also a pipe dream though.

Right now, I am just happy about the Avatar expansion - which is what we are supposed to be talking about. :D

The only problem I see with them taking Everest down once Avatar opens is that you are going to see a HUGE increase in Guests and they will need something to do. Animal Kingdom is generally the park Guests will give up a day of their vaca at to go somewhere else. With all of these Guests now returning for Avatar you want them to truly see that the park is a full day park now and that it has a nice selection of rides. In my opinion, Everest should go down before Avatar opens. Fix the yeti and any other effects that needs fixin', give it a nice sprucing up wherever it needs it and then open it up just before Avatar is open to the public. With the addition of ROL, the nighttime entertainment as well as the night safaris, the park should be able to lose Everest for a few months and still be ok.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
im not right or wrong about anything nor could I care less about theme parks using IPs or not, build great attractions with great execution is all i care about
point i was making is dont complain about disney using too many IPs and then praise Universal for using Kong and HP

EDIT: sorry for being off topic, back to construction
Course you can complain. One always uses IPs and one used to have original content too.

twebber55

The only problem I see with them taking Everest down once Avatar opens is that you are going to see a HUGE increase in Guests and they will need something to do. Animal Kingdom is generally the park Guests will give up a day of their vaca at to go somewhere else. With all of these Guests now returning for Avatar you want them to truly see that the park is a full day park now and that it has a nice selection of rides. In my opinion, Everest should go down before Avatar opens. Fix the yeti and any other effects that needs fixin', give it a nice sprucing up wherever it needs it and then open it up just before Avatar is open to the public. With the addition of ROL, the nighttime entertainment as well as the night safaris, the park should be able to lose Everest for a few months and still be ok.
exactly right
no way it goes down
the park will be busier than ever

Mike S

It still would not shock me at all if after the Avatar construction is competed next year that Everest goes down for a moderate-length rehab that will include fixing the oft derided yeti.

No way that Chester and Hester's is removed/replaced. That was done on the cheap and I bet that WDW sees it as a large space that real small kids will appreciate. Not saying that they can't/won't appreciate Harambe and Anandapur, just that carni-games and cartoonish dino rides are much easier for them to appreciate. Do I wish that they would change it? I suppose. But I would rather that they add on to DAK first as opposed to change something.

As far as adding IPs, I am not completely against it, as long as it is done the right way. A dark ride of the legend of the Lion King would be nice, giving it a slightly different interpretation. I am for shutting down Kali and expanding it, with maybe adding a few more animal exhibits to that area. This one is also a pipe dream though.

Right now, I am just happy about the Avatar expansion - which is what we are supposed to be talking about. :D
Lion King is already covered with a great show. If they considered anything else they should go with Jungle Book. The new one if it's as good as it looks.

doctornick

The park will survive if it is taken down for a while during the "slow" season. I know there is no real slow time anymore, but DAK would have enough to survive if E:E is taken off line for a while in (say) Jan-Feb 2018. The initial rush of people for Pandora and RoL will have calmed down, DHS will have new stuff hopefully open by then and the park could close a little early while still having darkness for RoL.

MagicGoofy

How much time before the land opens will they start moving in trees, etc to fill up the land? It doesn't seem like something that can happen quickly..

Figment2005

With building a few more rides, DAK would not suddenly "focus only on rides". Even after Pandora is done, it will only have 8-9 rides, it could use a few more beyond that. And it wouldn't take away from the other excellent features of the park (the animal exhibits, the quality shows, the education at Rafiki's and the general park vibe).

Nobody is asking for DAK to go and build 20 or 30 rides and become an "amusement park".
I never said he was wrong about Animal Kingdom needing more rides. Yes, more rides help, but those masses of people that only want rides would not appreciate what Animal Kingdom is no matter how many rides it may contain.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Interesting permit today for Attraction Install. The address I have seen before connected with Flight of Passage. The contractor, DH Griffin , is not one I have seen before and they don't seem to do theme park related work. I do see on their web site that they do machinery moving and heavy rigging, so they may be installing the ride system.

The also do a lot of heavy demolition so maybe they have decided to scrap the Avatar idea. ;)

471 W Savannah Circle - Attraction Install

ToTBellHop

Interesting permit today for Attraction Install. The address I have seen before connected with Flight of Passage. The contractor, DH Griffin , is not one I have seen before and they don't seem to do theme park related work. I do see on their web site that they do machinery moving and heavy rigging, so they may be installing the ride system.

The also do a lot of heavy demolition so maybe they have decided to scrap the Avatar idea. ;)

471 W Savannah Circle - Attraction Install
Ah. The start of Beastlie Kingdomme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom