AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

SleepingMonk

With this being so early in the planning phase all these dates seem very tenuous to say the least.

Even Cameron and his film release dates seem extremely optimistic. He wants to film part two in the Mariana Trench...nothing could go wrong there I'm sure.

Script issues, editing, compositing, rewrites, new tech, etc....

Never a problem there!

Now look at all the delays that push regular Disney projects way off the mark.

I think it's probably more realistic to look for the first phase to open around 2018-2020.

S.E.A.

No offense, but it's only 2011. The fact that people still remember Avatar, and there experience to Pandora say's alot for a movie that'll soon be 3 year's old.

To say, "It won't be on the level of Harry Potter" is a somewhat rash statement. If the land was opened today, then I'd agree with you. But the fact that there's 2 more movies coming, as well as a show series, then who knows where this is heading. It might be the next big thing. Who knows?

well to be fair, you're assuming that the next installments in the Avatar franchise will be successful, what if it's not? It's already been discussed that the first film didn't exactly fire up the public's collective imagination in the way the Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings series has. It's not even on the level of fan admiration as the Star Trek reboot. You have to also acknowledge that things can go very wrong for Avatar.

twinnstar

I'll agree at this point in time there's WAY more Harry Potter fans than there are Avatar fans. But how can you say that'll be the same in 5-7 years from now? Unless you have a magic crystal ball, I wouldn't talk...and neither should I for that matter. :animwink:

Haha exactly...I think thats really all I was trying to say, but you ended up reluctantly saying it :p I keep hearing "how can you say that in 5-7 years Avatar wont have as many fans as HP" ... fair enough. but how can you be so sure it WILL? Neither of us know!

RadioHead

The Avatar land will be an amazing treat to people visiting WDW along with the WDW enthusiasts who have been thirsty for something new. But I highly doubt that it will be a big mainstream attention-grabbing draw.

FacePalm.jpg

NOW! Yes, you'd be correct.

But how the hell can you say the same when 2 more movies are supposed to come out, as well as a tv series?

What if the next Avatar goes on to break Avatars previous record, and the 3rd film goes on to break the 2nd Avatar film?

Your acting as if there are no more plans with the Avatar franchise, when in reality it's just the beginning.

I guess I'm kind of angry at the fact where predicting things 5-7 years ahead of time. You might be right, I might be wrong. But it's idiotic to compare the popularity of the film now, and the popularity in 5-7 years from now. :brick:

tomman710

I'm sure AVATAR has fans ... everything has fans, even terrible movies have fans, i.e. AVATAR, the Transformers series, ... I'm sure there are people who are even are fans of Halle Berry's Catwoman movie ... but just because a property has fans or made money should not automatically equate to global popularity or profitability. Questions that should be asked: How will the sequels do? How did merchandise sales go? What were the toy sales like?

Just because AVATAR made a billion dollars does not mean its popular. It was an event movie during a holiday period, that equation usually equals big money but it doesn't always mean its something people want more of. I went and paid my $13 bucks to see it and I hated it, and I know I am not in the minority. In the small sample size I have of friends, family, workmates, church mates, etc ... I know of no one who either owns the DVD, cares about the franchise, or purchased merchandise related to AVATAR. They all saw it so they were part of that billion dollars but outside of the event of seeing it, they have no further invested feelings on it. Granted, my small sample size of people cannot be indicitive of the entire population but it is somewhat telling on a smaller scale.

The attractions could still be stellar and they should be judged on their own merits but it seems like this is too rushed off a property where I would guess the majority of that billion dollars would not care to return to Pandora.

No one, and I mean no one, can argue that if this announcement was made with Star Wars instead of AVATAR (providing it wasn't based around the terrible prequels) that the fanfare excitment would not have been infinitely greater.

I know most people are talking about the "business" aspect of it, well ... that's business. If held on their own, which would make more money a Star Wars Land or an AVATAR Land? I don't even think that's a question.

However, I am not arguing for a Star Wars Land just using it as an example of a property already in house that has more appeal and more potential for huge dollars.

Ultimately time will tell on AVATAR as a franchise (maybe on the sequels Cameron won't cater to the studios and dumb down his product for a mass audience due to the studio wanting to ensure a return on the investment) and ultimately time will tell on the attractions as well.

In the end this could all turn out very well but here's my point:

From a fan's perspective and from an educated business perspective the confusion the majority of people feel is warranted, justified, and we should be allowed to ask these questions that frankly we hope they asked themseleves.

The Mom

Premium Member
There are also multiple fansites dedicated to rich heiresses' body parts, that's not really a measure of a film's popularity. All you have to do is go to various social networking sites to gauge a property's popular opinion.

The Avatar land will be an amazing treat to people visiting WDW along with the WDW enthusiasts who have been thirsty for something new. But I highly doubt that it will be a big mainstream attention-grabbing draw.

It's a measure of how much other people might obsess about something I couldn't care less about. There are companies making millions selling products that I wouldn't take if they paid me.

I've been around long enough to know that it's pretty silly to speculate about what people will pay to own, see, or do based on my own opinion, or even the opinions of those around me.

WDWmazprty

FacePalm.jpg

NOW! Yes, you'd be correct.

But how the hell can you say the same when 2 more movies are supposed to come out, as well as a tv series?

What if the next Avatar goes on to break Avatars previous record, and the 3rd film goes on to break the 2nd Avatar film?

Your acting as if there are no more plans with the Avatar franchise, when in reality it's just the beginning.

I guess I'm kind of angry at the fact where predicting things 5-7 years ahead of time. You might be right, I might be wrong. But it's idiotic to compare the popularity of the film now, and the popularity in 5-7 years from now. :brick:

Exactly.

picture.php

:D

mousefreak

I have not seen Avatar nor was I interested in seeing it. We have some family who said they thought it was a really good movie. Guess I'll rent it to see what it's about.
To me, this sounds like some incredible news and really could boost attendance at DAK. I'm really looking forward to seeing what this becomes.

RadioHead

well to be fair, you're assuming that the next installments in the Avatar franchise will be successful, what if it's not? It's already been discussed that the first film didn't exactly fire up the public's collective imagination in the way the Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings series has. It's not even on the level of fan admiration as the Star Trek reboot. You have to also acknowledge that things can go very wrong for Avatar.

I agree it might not. But at the same token it seems you already have a set mindset as to the popularity of Avatar. I agree that the next 2 films might flop horrendously. But what if it doesn't?

Also regarding Harry Potter, and LOTR and what not. You have to understand that it took MANY damn years for Harry Potter, and LOTR to gain the popularity they gained. So, honestly it's a really unfair comparison. With that said I know many people who are just as awwed of the world in LOTR, as they are of Pandora in Avatar.

WDWFREAK53

It's a measure of how much other people might obsess about something I couldn't care less about. There are companies making millions selling products that I wouldn't take if they paid me.

I've been around long enough to know that it's pretty silly to speculate about what people will pay to own, see, or do based on my own opinion, or even the opinions of those around me.

Mom, have you seen Avatar?

What are your feelings on it? Did you enjoy the film? Do you think it's a good addition? Do you think it belongs in DAK? Do you think Disney should've focused their money and efforts on a different franchise (and if so, what?)

Just curious.

djkidkaz

The camp minnie mickey plot looks much more ready to be built on than the other plot of land Steve showed. Theres no trees or anything in the way. Its like a blank sheet of paper. It also already has a waterway over there which could be incorporated.

Then they could just tear down CMM and Chester Hester area and make a new childrens area where Chester is.

Oh and FIX THE YETI!!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The camp minnie mickey plot looks much more ready to be built on than the other plot of land Steve showed. Theres no trees or anything in the way. Its like a blank sheet of paper. It also already has a waterway over there which could be incorporated.

Then they could just tear down CMM and Chester Hester area and make a new childrens area where Chester is.

Oh and FIX THE YETI!!!
Or would get in the way.:D

S.E.A.

because they're not out yet and no one has any idea how they will do? The first movie came out at the right time where it was able to market itself on its new technologies, now that that will be gone, its future will be much more debatable.

RadioHead

Just because AVATAR made a billion dollars does not mean its popular. It was an event movie during a holiday period, that equation usually equals big money but it doesn't always mean its something people want more of. I went and paid my $13 bucks to see it and I hated it, and I know I am not in the minority. In the small sample size I have of friends, family, workmates, church mates, etc ... I know of no one who either owns the DVD, cares about the franchise, or purchased merchandise related to AVATAR. They all saw it so they were part of that billion dollars but outside of the event of seeing it, they have no further invested feelings on it. Granted, my small sample size of people cannot be indicitive of the entire population but it is somewhat telling on a smaller scale.

1. No offense but your acting like revenuing 2.8 Billion Dollars is some small feet. Yes it was the Holiday Season, but you don't see some New Ip film create that MUCH revenue in a span of 3-4 months. You just don't.

2. You have friends, and colleagues who hated the film. I have just as many friends who loved Avatar, and the world of Pandora and went to see the film 3-4 times.

3. The Avatar DVD/Blue Ray sales also set a record for revenue. Just saying...considering it was released in April and what not....

RadioHead

because they're not out yet and no one has any idea how they will do? The first movie came out at the right time where it was able to market itself on its new technologies, now that that will be gone, its future will be much more debatable.

Agreed. But right now it seems your leaning more towards the "It won't do well" category then, "I'm not sure how it'll do, but I can't wait to find out!"

Just sayin':animwink:

The Mom

Premium Member
I agree it might not. But at the same token it seems you already have a set mindset as to the popularity of Avatar. I agree that the next 2 films might flop horrendously. But what if it doesn't?

Also regarding Harry Potter, and LOTR and what not. You have to understand that it took MANY damn years for Harry Potter, and LOTR to gain the popularity they gained. So, honestly it's a really unfair comparison. With that said I know many people who are just as awwed of the world in LOTR, as they are of Pandora in Avatar.

The Harry Potter books gained popularity fairly quickly - I was running our school's book fair when the first one came out, and couldn't get enough for the demand.

LOTR, on the other hand, was popular when I was a teenager, so has had quite a long run! I don't know if Harry Potter will still be as popular when my children are my age - I probably won't be around to let you know. :lol:

The Mom

Premium Member
Mom, have you seen Avatar?

What are your feelings on it? Did you enjoy the film? Do you think it's a good addition? Do you think it belongs in DAK? Do you think Disney should've focused their money and efforts on a different franchise (and if so, what?)

Just curious.

I really don't care one way or the other :lookaroun and wouldn't even be in this thread if I didn't have to moderate it. :lol:

But I hope it does well, and that I'll like it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom