AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

RadioHead

Congrats on 100 pages of debating guys...

I'm sure this will be a "Where were you on this day" type of moment...

My honest reaction to when I read the announcement;

130662575552.png

twinnstar

1. No offense but your acting like revenuing 2.8 Billion Dollars is some small feet. Yes it was the Holiday Season, but you don't see some New Ip film create that MUCH revenue in a span of 3-4 months. You just don't.

2. You have friends, and colleagues who hated the film. I have just as many friends who loved Avatar, and the world of Pandora and went to see the film 3-4 times.

3. The Avatar DVD/Blue Ray sales also set a record for revenue. Just saying...considering it was released in April and what not....

Just a heads up, I could be totally off the mark here...but is one of the reasons they made that much money because it was in 3d/IMAX, and given the hype of the film i'd bet a majority of people purposely made sure they saw it in those venues? If you compared it to a movie that made a lot in 2d, how would it compare? (these are more questions, since you seem to know a lot about the figures, im not attacking you or anything! :D )

tomman710

1. No offense but your acting like revenuing 2.8 Billion Dollars is some small feet. Yes it was the Holiday Season, but you don't see some New Ip film create that MUCH revenue in a span of 3-4 months. You just don't.

2. You have friends, and colleagues who hated the film. I have just as many friends who loved Avatar, and the world of Pandora and went to see the film 3-4 times.

3. The Avatar DVD/Blue Ray sales also set a record for revenue. Just saying...considering it was released in April and what not....

My points can't be taken out of context. Yes I agree that 2.8 billion is not a small feat but it was a perfect storm for that to happen, new James Cameron movie, new tech, 3D, holiday season, increased ticket prices, etc ... there are alot of aspects that lead to that dollar amount that had nothing to do with the movie itself.

And I did agree that the hundreds of people in my sample size is not indicative of the entire population BUT ...

... Take what I said and compare it to if this announcement was made about Star Wars, Lord of the Rings ...

So you have the highest grossing movie of all time but it doesn't feel that popular ... look at this thread, look at any report on it, the thoughts are probably 70/30 negative/positive ...

Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, made less money but would have been met with more positive fanfare.

That is why I feel confident in saying that you can't look at the box office and expect enthusiasm.

However, again ... the sequels might be great, the attractions might be great and this could be all moot.

But ... at this point the confusion is not without merit.

RadioHead

The Harry Potter books gained popularity fairly quickly - I was running our school's book fair when the first one came out, and couldn't get enough for the demand.

LOTR, on the other hand, was popular when I was a teenager, so has had quite a long run! I don't know if Harry Potter will still be as popular when my children are my age - I probably won't be around to let you know. :lol:

Yes, but would there be as much hype as there would be today of the Harry Potter land if fans only read the first few books in the series?

worldfanatic

Just because AVATAR made a billion dollars does not mean its popular.

I initially stopped reading your post after this statement.

But then I figured, anybody who uses 'Swingers' (one of my all time favorites) in their avatar deserves to be heard out.

I don't think 'popularity' or 'box office' take is the sole reason Disney went with AVATAR. I think it's the possibilities for attractions using this completely unique world of Pandora that drove them to this decision. There's just so much that can be done.

Although I will disagree with you, I think a BILLION DOLLARS does indicate a bit of "popularity".:shrug:

The Mom

Premium Member
Yes, but would there be as much hype as there would be today of the Harry Potter land if fans only read the first few books in the series?

Who knows? If my mother hadn't met my father I wouldn't be here. :lol: It is what it is.

I'm just responding to the opinion that Harry Potter popularity took a while - my experience was that the books were incredibly popular quickly, and readers were waiting for more. The old cliche' that "they were flying off the shelves" was true in my area.

BTW, I also saw both Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars as new releases, and they were both incredibly popular - the lines snaked around the theaters.

tomman710

I initially stopped reading your post after this statement.

But then I figured, anybody who uses 'Swingers' (one of my all time favorites) in their avatar deserves to be heard out.

I don't think 'popularity' or 'box office' take is the sole reason Disney went with AVATAR. I think it's the possibilities for attractions using this completely unique world of Pandora that drove them to this decision. There's just so much that can be done.

Although I will disagree with you, I think a BILLION DOLLARS does indicate a bit of "popularity".:shrug:

Don't worry I knew it sounded off when I wrote it but doesn't it seem like the quietest billion dollars a movie ever made?

I just don't see the enthusiasm about the movie, no one talks about it, etc ...

But maybe the sequels will change all that.

PhilharMagician

Do you really think people will pay money, that they wouldnt have otherwise, to see the Avatar land? I will agree that the haters (myself included) will all go to the land to see what its about...but I don't think people who werent normally going to go to WDW or AK would buy a ticket JUST to see that. HP has tons and tons and tons of hardcore fans. People (myself included! haha) flew on a plane and made a whole vacation JUST to go to that one little part of Universal! I don't think the fan base is there for Avatar..

Well I would never jump on a plane just to go see HP and I enjoy the movies and books. I may jump on a plane to go see what happens when James Cameron and Disney Imagineering get together to build a new land but time will tell as this project developes.

The Avatar fan base will build as the next two movies are released. Just as HP's fan base built as more of the story unfolded. so will Avatar. Avatar is the largest grossing movie of all time and made more than twice the largest grossing HP film. You may want to buckle up your seat belt when this thing takes off!

So because you think that you would not want to go that nobody else will?? There just may be one or two people out there in the world that do not think the same way you do! :animwink:

gljvd

My points can't be taken out of context. Yes I agree that 2.8 billion is not a small feat but it was a perfect storm for that to happen, new James Cameron movie, new tech, 3D, holiday season, increased ticket prices, etc ... there are alot of aspects that lead to that dollar amount that had nothing to do with the movie itself.

And I did agree that the hundreds of people in my sample size is not indicative of the entire population BUT ...

... Take what I said and compare it to if this announcement was made about Star Wars, Lord of the Rings ...

So you have the highest grossing movie of all time but it doesn't feel that popular ... look at this thread, look at any report on it, the thoughts are probably 70/30 negative/positive ...

Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, made less money but would have been met with more positive fanfare.

That is why I feel confident in saying that you can't look at the box office and expect enthusiasm.

However, again ... the sequels might be great, the attractions might be great and this could be all moot.

But ... at this point the confusion is not without merit.
when adjusted for inflation both a new hope and empire made more than avatar.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

even jedi is right behind avatar.

starwars is over 30 years old andfans still payfor it. 2013 marks the rereleases of 1 through 6.

Gomer

I'll admit, I like the movie (not loved, like) so I may be biased. But, I've discussed this movie at length with a number of people who hated it, and probably won't go to see the sequels. But, the one thing they all had in common?

"Wow, that movie stunk, but I would love to go to Pandora."

And that's what Disney is providing. They aren't asking you to go watch the movie for 3 hours during your vacation. They are asking you to go to Pandora. That, I believe, will be extremely popular...even if the movie's popularity dies. Because if the movie didn't exist, and WDI built something similar to what I saw in those movies independent of the film tie-ins, I think it would still be incredibly popular.

twinnstar

Well I would never jump on a plane just to go see HP and I enjoy the movies and books. I may jump on a plane to go see what happens when James Cameron and Disney Imagineering get together to build a new land but time will tell as this project developes.

The Avatar fan base will build as the next two movies are released. Just as HP's fan base built as more of the story unfolded. so will Avatar. Avatar is the largest grossing movie of all time and made more than twice the largest grossing HP film. You may want to buckle up your seat belt when this thing takes off!

So because you think that you would not want to go that nobody else will?? There just may be one or two people out there in the world that do not think the same way you do! :animwink:

Actually, If you check out that inflation thing I posted its #14 ;)

This is my point though... everyone keeps saying "not everyone thinks the way you do!" ... but not everyone thinks the way YOU do either! :animwink: you just told me you wouldnt fly to WWoHP, but we know tons of people who have! So, just cause a bunch of people on this board like the idea of the Avatar land, that doesnt mean everyone else will!

This thing goes both ways. Why cant we just all agree no one knows what the hell is going to happen until it happens!? :rolleyes:

DisneyFan 2000

OK I'll admit I just got to page 11 and then gave up on this completely and just figured I'd add my 2 cents regardless! :lol: I honestly, honestly do NOT understand the negative reactions of some people. THIS is the Potter swatter everyone has waited for. The potential for attractions, themes, shows, shops, restaurants, immersive areas and - dare I say it - new high tech Next-Gen ideas for a land like this is endless! I don't think I've ever been this excited about anything to come out of WDW, let alone AK. This is big. This is huge. And if done right, the payoff is going to be even bigger.

Is it original all-Imagineer based? No, but who cares? One of Disney's strongest rides, IJA, is based off a Lucas film franchise. I don't see many complaints there. The list goes on - ToT, Star Wars, Muppets, MGM... This is one of the best Disney "marriages" to happen in a long long time and I for one cannot wait for 2017/8 to roll around. It's high time Disney had the guts to follow something this ambitious, and hearing quotes from Cameron about wanting to really push the envelope in guest experience only adds promise to an already promising venture. Sign me up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom