Avatar Flight of Passage reviews, comments and questions

djkidkaz

It's the essence of flight that is so amazing. That is the game changer aspect to me. It's the wind mixed with the crosswinds and the way the mist is actually a mist and not just a splash of droplets into my face. There's that moment where the banshee is resting in the cave and when he finally decides to leap off his perch there is the perfect feeling of what you believe it should / would feel like to be on the back of a flying animal and have them begin their flight. I don't think there is any other attraction in the world that captures the feeling of flight like this does.

Idoonu

Rode it a few times last week, not going to review the ride outside of saying it's really good.

Unfortunately, the first time I rode it there was a large black square in the top right portion of the screen, not sure if the projector malfunctioned or what was going on but it totally ruined the immersion effect. The second time I was put on a different screen and everything was fine.

The lines have been changing by the day, while I was there it dropped down to a 75 minute posted time in the middle of the afternoon, while I'm writing this it's at 180 posted 9:30 AM (and was 240+ yesterday evening). I got in line while it was posted at 90 and ended up waiting 2 hours. I'm not sure I would wait in the line again for that long, outside of the lab scene the rest isn't super interesting unless you're moving quickly.

Disney Dad 3000

Had a chance to ride FOP 6/30. Ended up rope dropping it since hadn't made it on during our trip (wait times way too long for my taste). Ended up with basically an hour wait after all was said and done and was walking out of Windtraders (they actually had banshees that day and not some stuffed animals) about 8.

The ride is really, really good. I get the soarin comparisons, but to me it blows that away. There is much more a sense to me of flight on this ride. The drops and change in direction really sucked me in. The only reason I noticed anybody else in the theater is I was too damn curious how it was all working and glanced around. Otherwise, I don't think I'd have seen them, I was too engrossed in the ride. My only complaint would just being a little uncomfortable on the ride seat with the way the back brace had me pinched in and with my long legs not getting my feet flat. But then there aren't a whole lot of comfortable theme park rides.

Don't know that I would call it the greatest ride ever, but it is one with definite staying power as far as riding over and over. A very welcome attraction to AK.

Kman101

Exactly. LOL. I think he's completely underselling what the general public will think of it. They think Soarin' is the greatest ever, they'll be blown away by this. Not sure why he keeps trying to undersell it as much he thinks people are over hyping it. But to each their own.

twebber55

Exactly. LOL. I think he's completely underselling what the general public will think of it. They think Soarin' is the greatest ever, they'll be blown away by this. Not sure why he keeps trying to undersell it as much he thinks people are over hyping it. But to each their own.
also Touring plans now has some date showing its the best ride in DAK

Disney Dad 3000

Any truth in the statement on the 'Volcano Bay thread' that FOP only had a 20 minute wait yesterday on one of the busiest weekends since opening?

Volcano Bay

I'd love to see a screen shot of that actually being a wait time and when it was. We just got back from a week there and all 4 parks were packed. IASM was 40 min wait when we went to MK. Of all the times I checked FOP during our stay I never saw it less than 60 min (only briefly), and that was before 8am.

mergatroid

I'd love to see a screen shot of that actually being a wait time and when it was. We just got back from a week there and all 4 parks were packed. IASM was 40 min wait when we went to MK. Of all the times I checked FOP during our stay I never saw it less than 60 min (only briefly), and that was before 8am.

IDK
but last night the MDE app had it at 180 minutes at 10:30 at night

Sounds a tad 'suspicious' doesn't it :rolleyes:

BrianLo

Any truth in the statement on the 'Volcano Bay thread' that FOP only had a 20 minute wait yesterday on one of the busiest weekends since opening?

Volcano Bay

avatar_flight_passage_wait_times_june_2017b.jpg

From EZ-Dubs (Easy and WDW). Not including yesterday yet, but good enough to prove a point.

@raven has become an obvious troll, at least pertaining to Pandora.

Casper Gutman

I really don't understand why some posters seem to want it to fail or be viewed as a mistake. It's not failing and it fits perfectly in AK.

I don't want to see it fail (and I fully agree that it fits into AK) but I can understand the sentiment - Pandora is the product of some very bad management tendencies (exec ego, lack of checks and balances, ignorance of what makes the parks work) and suffered a lot of cuts during development (including the planned headliner and big chunks of RJ). The better it does, the more WDW will feel rewarded for those bad practices and the more likely they are to continue them.

BrianLo

The insiders do us a great disservice by exaggerating the reality of the what could have beens versus what existed as a practical plan.

There are large differences between project stages at which point rides are 'cut'. Pixie Hollow was cut, Toy Story had large cuts to its land, Star Wars was plussed. Beastly kingdomme was not cut, it never got off the ground.

The third ride existed in rough sketches and ideas. The river journey apart from some imagineer surely at some point in the process identifying we'll have a boat ride of an unknown length at no time point was ever sketched out to be a D/E ticket.

The disservice comes from the fact we too often hear the what could have beens and often don't hear the process of elements that evolved and improved. FoP once the decision was made that a bike coaster made little sense to the narrative was plussed to make it the headliner. Lots of money was added to the project for Joe to fulfill his bold rock work visions.

Prioritizing ideas to meet a budget (which as far as these projects go was awfully generous) is not the same connotation as cuts. I know people are foaming at the mouth for a bike coaster... I wouldn't worry. They'll continue to throw the idea at every single project and eventually it will actually be built for a project that makes sense.

dreamscometrue

The insiders do us a great disservice by exaggerating the reality of the what could have beens versus what existed as a practical plan.

There are large differences between project stages at which point rides are 'cut'. Pixie Hollow was cut, Toy Story had large cuts to its land, Star Wars was plussed. Beastly kingdomme was not cut, it never got off the ground.

The third ride existed in rough sketches and ideas. The river journey apart from some imagineer surely at some point in the process identifying we'll have a boat ride of an unknown length at no time point was ever sketched out to be a D/E ticket.

The disservice comes from the fact we too often hear the what could have beens and often don't hear the process of elements that evolved and improved. FoP once the decision was made that a bike coaster made little sense to the narrative was plussed to make it the headliner. Lots of money was added to the project for Joe to fulfill his bold rock work visions.

Prioritizing ideas to meet a budget (which as far as these projects go was awfully generous) is not the same connotation as cuts. I know people are foaming at the mouth for a bike coaster... I wouldn't worry. They'll continue to throw the idea at every single project and eventually it will actually be built for a project that makes sense.
I have several imagineering books, a nice calendar from D23, and have watched many of @marni1971 vids. All of these show great early designs for attractions-many, many designs and sketches. I love this stuff because I find the creative process fascinating, but very, very little ends up as first sketched (or perhaps doesn't ever come to fruition). The biggest difference now compared to even 20 years ago, is our access to early info (and fanboi rumors) via the internet. Can you imagine what these boards would have looked like in the 1960s for say, The Haunted Mansion in DL? There would be thread headlines like..."Been Waiting Since '61, This Will Never Happen", "Walt Died So Mansion on Back Burner", and "Marc Davis, Claude Coats, and Rolly Crump Battling Over Mansion Direction".

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The insiders do us a great disservice by exaggerating the reality of the what could have beens versus what existed as a practical plan..
Wanna talk about the indoor rapids D ticket that I assure you existed as a "practical plan" before it became a C boat ride?

(Ride designations theirs, not mine)

Maybe do some research before posting assumptions. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom