Avatar Flight of Passage reviews, comments and questions

BrianLo

I just did my first solo day at MK (first visit in general since My Magic Plus) and let me just say I actually prefer the WDW setup.

Primarily, it seems to rain FP+ as a single rider. Often they pulled me up front out of the FP+ line too, further expediting the process. Often, at DLR the single rider line can lose a lot of its lustre when parties of four are constantly joining the line for the shorter wait time.

Once FOP has more FP+ allotment, @MansionButler84 you should easily be able to snag a fourth FP while the family is off doing another attraction.

Rodan75

We had a teenage couple in front of us at TT, they had been heavy petting thru the single rider line that was pretty backed up. At the stop where the CM does the FP merge, she told her that they would be separated. She through a fit and literally fell to the ground in a tantrum (she was at least 17). She refused to be separated. And tried to get the CM to let them ride together, then tried to get her to let them join the reg line at the merge. The CM held firm. And even let us pass her when she refused to stand up. After a 10 min tantrum, they both left the line. The CM was a trooper, they shouldn't have to deal with that.

The best part is by a weird twist, my husband and I managed to ride together...

Unfortunately that was the worst Single Rider experience, but far from the last we've seen. I can see why they haven't opened it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
We had a teenage couple in front of us at TT, they had been heavy petting thru the single rider line that was pretty backed up. At the stop where the CM does the FP merge, she told her that they would be separated. She through a fit and literally fell to the ground in a tantrum (she was at least 17). She refused to be separated. And tried to get the CM to let them ride together, then tried to get her to let them join the reg line at the merge. The CM held firm. And even let us pass her when she refused to stand up. After a 10 min tantrum, they both left the line. The CM was a trooper, they shouldn't have to deal with that.

The best part is by a weird twist, my husband and I managed to ride together...

Unfortunately that was the worst Single Rider experience, but far from the last we've seen. I can see why they haven't opened it.

It seems my luck that I always get stuck behind couples who need to find a room, not doing that in line....hands in each others back pockets, that's always awkward too

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I might be wrong, but I believe the "official" single rider line was removed as of a few days ago. Like the signage and everything. They've just been pulling people out of the regular line instead.

I just checked a vlogger's video from a day ago and indeed, the single rider sign has been removed.

Jon81uk

That's disappointing. I guess we will just have to wait until the kids are 44" tall, then. I was planning on using the Single-Rider Line.

It's bizarre that they can almost never seem to successfully use single rider lines at WDW when they are widely used on the West Coast and even Universal Orlando uses them. Why specifically build SRLs for new projects and not use them? Seems like poor planning. They already played this game with Soarin' 12 years ago.

I think the issue with FoP, (not that I've ridden, just from reading) is that they cast have enough time before the ride to batch effectively and there is a high capacity in each room. So if there are eight seats then cast will batch a 3, 3 and a 2 or a 5 and a 3. I would expect the only time they need singles is when they get a group of seven or are struggling with a 4 and a 3 together. Therefore if the cast can batch well they don't need single riders and the single rider queueline will not move. Coasters where it is 2 or 4 wide will make better use of a single rider line as a lot more odd number groups need singles, if the coaster seats two across (rock'n'roller for example) they can seat 2 parties of three together so one from each share a row, but if they get parties of 2, 4, 3, 2, 4 then a single will be needed to fill that seat, its a lot harder to batch. This is a similar reason to why Tower of Terror doesn't have a single rider line, each elevator car has a lot more seats so there is more flexibility on putting groups together or calling for parties of 2 or 3 to fill gaps rather than needing singles.

Kman101

It seems my luck that I always get stuck behind couples who need to find a room, not doing that in line....hands in each others back pockets, that's always awkward too

I got to witness quite a show in the Fallon queue/holding pen at Universal. They were sitting on the couch and just going to town.

Kman101

I think the issue with FoP, (not that I've ridden, just from reading) is that they cast have enough time before the ride to batch effectively and there is a high capacity in each room. So if there are eight seats then cast will batch a 3, 3 and a 2 or a 5 and a 3. I would expect the only time they need singles is when they get a group of seven or are struggling with a 4 and a 3 together. Therefore if the cast can batch well they don't need single riders and the single rider queueline will not move. Coasters where it is 2 or 4 wide will make better use of a single rider line as a lot more odd number groups need singles, if the coaster seats two across (rock'n'roller for example) they can seat 2 parties of three together so one from each share a row, but if they get parties of 2, 4, 3, 2, 4 then a single will be needed to fill that seat, its a lot harder to batch. This is a similar reason to why Tower of Terror doesn't have a single rider line, each elevator car has a lot more seats so there is more flexibility on putting groups together or calling for parties of 2 or 3 to fill gaps rather than needing singles.

ToT often seems to call out for singles or parties of 2 I've noticed, so they do a good job there.

As a single rider, I often get seated in rows by myself on most attractions. Not always but most times.

djkidkaz

Also, does anyone know where this technology came from? I'm always curious how these rides come into existence. Does Disney reach out to a ride creator and say we want something that can do X and Y, can you design it? Or was this whole setup with the screens and bikes already created and Disney heard about it and used that system? Is this ride system in use anywhere else in the world or is Disney the only one who can use it?

cohaco

Hello :),
there's a question that has been on my mind and bugging me for a while. I'm going to animal kingdom in a few weeks and i just keep on thinking about flight of passage and there's one question that keeps on popping up in my mind over and over again: how good are the visuals ?
I went on soarin' last year and i just felt like i was watching a screen, I didn't feel like i was immersed or that i was part of the action. the visuals felt too 2D if that makes sense. I also felt the same thing on harry potter and the forbidden journey. However on 3d rides such as transformers and reign of kong i feel immersed in the visuals and the screens don't feel like screens. They have depth and they truly immersed me in the experience so my question is: Are the visuals in FoP like those of Soarin' or those of transformers and king kong ?
I know that you may think that this is a dumb question considering that FoP is 3d like the latters but i actually don't feel a lot of depth in some 3d attractions such as star tours ( even tho i still enjoy it ).
Sorry for the long question and my poor english and thanks in advance :)

disneygeek90

Hello :),
there's a question that has been on my mind and bugging me for a while. I'm going to animal kingdom in a few weeks and i just keep on thinking about flight of passage and there's one question that keeps on popping up in my mind over and over again: how good are the visuals ?
I went on soarin' last year and i just felt like i was watching a screen, I didn't feel like i was immersed or that i was part of the action. the visuals felt too 2D if that makes sense. I also felt the same thing on harry potter and the forbidden journey. However on 3d rides such as transformers and reign of kong i feel immersed in the visuals and the screens don't feel like screens. They have depth and they truly immersed me in the experience so my question is: Are the visuals in FoP like those of Soarin' or those of transformers and king kong ?
I know that you may think that this is a dumb question considering that FoP is 3d like the latters but i actually don't feel a lot of depth in some 3d attractions such as star tours ( even tho i still enjoy it ).
Sorry for the long question and my poor english and thanks in advance :)
The screen is stunning. Imo, Soarin' doesn't even come close to what FoP brings with it's screen, immersiveness, wind and smells. You definitely feel the depth.

surfsupdon

Flight of Passage was terrific! We were lucky to ride it several times this past week on vacation!! It was exhilarating and a totally legit ride.

Pandora land, however, is weak. Well executed, but nothing like HP Diagon. Diagon led me to start reading the books and seeing the movies....Pandora does not have me wanting to learn more. Diagon has so much more.

But huge props for FoP!! Although my dad got sick.

As a surfer, being pitted in that wave was radical. Shred the gnar!

disneygeek90

Flight of Passage was terrific! We were lucky to ride it several times this past week on vacation!! It was exhilarating and a totally legit ride.

Pandora land, however, is weak. Well executed, but nothing like HP Diagon. Diagon led me to start reading the books and seeing the movies....Pandora does not have me wanting to learn more. Diagon has so much more.

But huge props for FoP!! Although my dad got sick.

As a surfer, being pitted in that wave was radical. Shred the gnar!
I think to compare Diagon Alley and Pandora aesthetically isn't completely fair. One takes place in a magical city of London. The other takes place in a more natural, other worldly setting. I think Pandora does a wonderful job immersing you in the simplicity and beauty of the world, while Diagon brings you to the hustle and bustle of Downtown London. The theming for both are excellent, for what they're trying to accomplish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom