Avatar construction aerial updates

BrianLo

Worthwhile looking at these again. They are very consistent with what's being built. Both images are from the North perspective looking South. Look closely at the aerial to see the footers for that large vine that extends over the guest pathway to orient yourself. Joe Rhode is where other sections of the floating mountains will be. Tom and James are basically where the boat ride show building is hiding.

This one is from the same perspective but the guests are near the side of the lake where Tom is, but with the missing sections of the mountains. The one portion of mountains we do see on the model are immediately to their right out of the shot. That's also not the huge vines we see, those fall right behind un on the image. There is a much smaller set of vines crossing the small body of water cut off in the model.

disney-world-avatar-land-537x357.jpg

And this one is from the vines (they are somewhat changed from the model) crossing the guest pathway with more of a Westernly perspective.

avatar-Disney-animal-kingdom-cameron.jpg

Edit: For Reference, approximate perspectives of the three photos above.

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 9.03.37 PM.jpg

Last edited:

flyerjab

If the large portion of poured foundation is for the boat ride, what do people think from a size perspective? Does that appear to be a large area? Everything looks large because the people look like specks in the photo. I am also trying to figure out how it flows into the lower level as shown in the old, leaked blueprints.

It's probably evident to everyone that I keep tossing questions out left and right. Sorry for that, but I have been so anxiously awaiting a new aerial photo like this that my thought stream is pretty much just bursting out right now.

Tom

Beta Return
Speculating based on concept art and leaks...
View attachment 72462

EDIT: @Atomicmickey You got anything? :D

I agree with your placement of the E-Ticket building.

The pattern of foundations really does look like the Soarin' ride plans.

The white area to the right of it is where the plans show the boat ride will be.

I agree.

If that is the boat ride we are seeing. It's doesn't look like I would have expected. If it is the boat ride, remember that even though the structure of the Soarin ride is going to be complex, the interior will probably be relatively simple, on the other hand the basic structure of the boat ride is probably going to be pretty simple, but the detail and themeing would be much more complex.

Boat ride and E-Ticket share a building, at least somewhat. Some of the boat ride would extend out of the building, perhaps partially outdoors(?)

I am still trying to figure out where the floating mountains are going to go. Is it those two define shapes directly above the concrete foundation?

My guess is that the primary floating mountain, the one seen next to Joe in the model photos, will be on top of the E-Ticket/C-Ticket building. Perhaps more over the C-Ticket side, given the mass expanse of concrete (the mountains will create an enormous load on the foundations).

Based on the permits I believe the new power station is going to go in the bottom section.

Do you have a more specific location for the new central plant (cooling tower/chiller), using anything in the new photo for reference?

Are those within the construction area at the current time? It looks there is part of a construction wall that separates it from the larger construction zone. Just curious as what will happen to that particular area.

If you're referring to the orange lines when you say "construction wall", those are actually either safety barriers (i.e. orange snow fence) or more likely erosion control barriers, to prevent silt and concrete spoil runoff.

Since the trailers hold the construction offices it makes sense that there is a barrier of some sort separating them from the actual construction zone for safety reasons.

No need or requirement for trailers to be separated from site. Quite the contrary. They just need to be out of the way of the major development so they don't have to be moved during construction. The area where they sit now will likely just be landscaped (berm, trees, screening) when they're done.

Remember that based on the plans the E-Ticket has 4 "theaters" in it each of which is several stories tall. These will take up a lot of space.

I agree.

Maybe they aren't going to re-use them, maybe they are just keeping them around temporarily for use by the construction crews. If they are going to re-use them they will need a total re-theming inside.

Very likely that they're using them for construction toilets. Makes sense to offer a substantial facility for the size of the crew they have on site. Perhaps they'll gut and remodel/re-theme them at the end, or maybe it will be bulldozed.

This will look great when done, no doubt about it. But how will the rides be? That is the question.

I have a feeling the majority of guests will thoroughly enjoy the new attractions. The E-Ticket will use impressive ride technology and a (presumed) high resolution 3D film. Certainly "Soarin 2.0, if not 3.0 or greater.

The C-Ticket will likely be on par with Pirates - a simple, family friendly boat ride with intense theming.

These are purely my guesses.

Tom

Beta Return
If the large portion of poured foundation is for the boat ride, what do people think from a size perspective? Does that appear to be a large area? Everything looks large because the people look like specks in the photo. I am also trying to figure out how it flows into the lower level as shown in the old, leaked blueprints.

It's probably evident to everyone that I keep tossing questions out left and right. Sorry for that, but I have been so anxiously awaiting a new aerial photo like this that my thought stream is pretty much just bursting out right now.

That large slab area is approximately the size of the Small World show building (excluding the queue). Maybe a little smaller - hard to tell with Google aerial next to Scott's photo.

BrianLo

I have a feeling the majority of guests will thoroughly enjoy the new attractions. The E-Ticket will use impressive ride technology and a (presumed) high resolution 3D film. Certainly "Soarin 2.0, if not 3.0 or greater.

The C-Ticket will likely be on par with Pirates - a simple, family friendly boat ride with intense theming.

These are purely my guesses.

Soarin' 2.0 can go both ways in my mind, it doesn't have to be more of the same. After all, Pirates was basically Small World 2.0.

Even if it's *just* Cameron instituting the latest and greatest film tech with a slightly more aggressive axis of motion, the general park-goer will certainly eat it up. For the hard to please fan, the boat ride seems to be in the right wheelhouse.

Tom

Beta Return
Soarin' 2.0 can go both ways in my mind, it doesn't have to be more of the same. After all, Pirates was basically Small World 2.0.

Even if it's *just* Cameron instituting the latest and greatest film tech with a slightly more aggressive axis of motion, the general park-goer will certainly eat it up. For the hard to please fan, the boat ride seems to be in the right wheelhouse.

I agree on all accounts, but I think guests are going to be taken aback by the E-Ticket. Just my gut feeling for some reason. I bet there will even be additional thematic elements in each theater, beyond just the seating apparatuses and screens.

jdmdisney99

I agree on all accounts, but I think guests are going to be taken aback by the E-Ticket. Just my gut feeling for some reason. I bet there will even be additional thematic elements in each theater, beyond just the seating apparatuses and screens.
Isn't this attraction loading on different levels, so it doesn't seem like your just lifting off from a soundstage? I'm expecting some rocks and plants all throughout the queue and load areas.

BrianLo

Yes, at the very least the loading area can be a little more "inspired" than Soarin'. Somewhere in between how Simpson's is setup and how ET looks. That would go a lonnnggg way in and of itself.

flyerjab

That large slab area is approximately the size of the Small World show building (excluding the queue). Maybe a little smaller - hard to tell with Google aerial next to Scott's photo.

That sounds promising then, at least from a size perspective. Really thinking this could be a D-Ticket - fingers crossed anyway.

Also, having asked @Tom about the E-Ticket ride previously, he really had a lot of positive info on this ride design.

Really starting to sound like JT now...better tone it down a bit. :D

There still appears to be a lot of real estate to work with on this expansion pad. I have always felt (hoped) that WDW would try to mimic the other animal trails in DAK by having a Pandora walking trail. Have some plant and animal AAs aside from those that will probably be on the boat ride. I thought it would be neat to have a walking trail along side the boat ride so that the same AAs could be viewed from different perspectives. I have also wondered if the boat ride is where some of the new Na'vi AAs might be. If they are as amazing as Cameron hinted at I would imagine they will be showcased somewhere.

BrianLo

Aside from the E-Ticket ride and the boat ride areas, it still looks like there is a fair amount of space to work with there. Any good guesses as to where any Pandora eateries or shopping districts might be located? I could never get a good sense of that from the concept art.

It seems they will do some sort of military bunker, which I assume will have a "mess hall" type setup and retail options. It could be completely themed though as we don't see the "front" of it and that might be a backstage view.

They've never released concept art, but we actually have a significant amount of clues for this project despite the somewhat tight lipped nature of the whole thing.

Here is both what I'm called a military bunker from the model and you can see where exactly it will be placed in the second image, basically the only building in focus on the wall map. It will occupy the North-West side of the plot.

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 9.40.32 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 9.40.14 PM.jpg

RandySavage

Thanks for the update, Scott! Much appreciated. I'll be the greedy person and ask: any chance you took some shots of the other areas under construction (Harambe Market, Rivers of Light viewing)?

Cheers,

Next Big Thing

Seems to occupy the area based on the plans we've had forever. I kind of assumed they will just integrate both rides into the overall floating mountains.

The bottom section with not much going on is likely where the bike coaster would have been.

At least the boat ride DOES seem to be happening, so I'm relatively happy.
Speaking of the coaster... if the land is a success, do you think there's any chance they would expand to add the coaster?

Tom

Beta Return
Isn't this attraction loading on different levels, so it doesn't seem like your just lifting off from a soundstage? I'm expecting some rocks and plants all throughout the queue and load areas.

Yes, if they use the ride system we believe it will be, it will board on 3 independent levels. I hope the ramps and hallways aren't Maelstrom style, with commercial drywall walls and tile ceilings, but rather themed.

Yes, at the very least the loading area can be a little more "inspired" than Soarin'. Somewhere in between how Simpson's is setup and how ET looks. That would go a lonnnggg way in and of itself.

Any attempt at theming the queue will be a step up from Soarin.

Next Big Thing

Speaking of the E-ticket... I don't know if there is any plans for any of the actual actors to play any part in the ride story, but i'd assume one or two will in at the very least the ride queue. You'd have to assume that will be filming sometime while Cameron is filming the upcoming sequels and has the cast together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom