ATTN: Photographers - Tripod Question

DecWDW

It's very confusing. Lately, we're told no big lenses in August, because that's when a lot of celebrities come to the park. ? I'm not sure how big is big, 6" plus? I've also seen tripods in the park from time to time. As it was stated earlier, it depends on the bag check CM.

PhotoDave219

I've heard of people having problems getting in with Canon L series lenses. I think last summer when Lindsay Lohan was frequently in the parks (and the tabloids), the rules were more stringently enforced.

Only time i ever had trouble getting in with equipment was NYE 04. Too much gear.

Beyond that, i've never had a problem getting anything in. OF course... I'm pretty discrete about it and never tried anything longer than a 300/4

PhotoDave219

Are there any official photography rules? I've always taken in a full kit but then I've not been for eight years. If I can't take my 80-400mm I'm in trouble. :eek:

There are no official rules beyond "No Professional Equipment" which is downright silly. A P&S is professional equipment for some people. Its at the discretion of security and turnstiles as you go in.

Just be discrete and act normal. Your 80-400 should be fine, i brought in an 300/4 the other day.

The day i ran into trouble we had about 5 cameras and 3 tripods between us. Only time when i worked there i saw people having trouble, they were filming with a Canon GL-1 and had a Lav Mic setup. It looked too professional.

If you look like a tourist and you act like a tourist, You're a tourist.

Laura

Premium Member
What is the current policy at DL?

This guy, who I ended up having in the middle of all my IASW/fireworks pictures, didn't seem to have any issues getting a tripod in a few weeks ago. :fork:

629710947_arybT-L.jpg

I Took 2 bodies, and 3 L lenses (biggest being a 70/200 2.8is) in for the CP Sunday night and didn't even get a second look. I think it depends on who is going to be in the park that day, last thing they want is a gaggle of paparazzi
following a guest around.

PhotoDave219

Yeah, its all on how you act and you behave. If you pull the whole 'I'm a professional' BS, you're gonna get tossed. You say you're a tourist and have a valid ticket, thats something entirely different.

Of course this means you cant bring the 600mm lens in either.

KeithVH

Then again, you could be like me. Having packed two tripods, both a regular and a mini, you unload at airport parking and find you only have the P&S/camcorder bag but the DSLR and lenses are sitting on the kitchen table where you remember leaving them.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Really missing the 1.4 lens, the IS lenses and my large CMOS sensor right now.

Ravenscroft

FYI, as of about May this year all of the Camera policies at DL have been relaxed, they are still in place but they are relaxed due to 300+ letters sent in by photographers and non-photographers. Disneyland did put the no "professional" looking cameras rule in place due to the Lohan incident but after many letters explained that just because a person owns "higher quality" equipment doesn't mean they are paparazzi. I sent in a letter myself explaining that a Canon Rebel series camera has been used by professionals, and that I know of a wild life photographer that uses a Nikon Coolpix with a 24x zoom so professional is all in how you use your equipment not what it is.

I went to DL in July with 3 L series lenses, a lensbaby, an EF-S, Tripod, and my 40D they never said a word, other than "your prepared". I also met a couple that both had Canon 50D's with 580 EXII's mounted, and L-Series telephotos locked and loaded, they got in with no problems.

I do know that, according to a friend in TDA, that if another lohan type issue arises Disney will enforce it again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom