ATTN: Photographers - Tripod Question

Woozle

Original Poster
Hi all. I will be heading down to WDW in about a month and will be able to see all the holiday decor. This is a great chance to snap some good shots. I just got a new Nikon camera recently, but still need to get a tripod for those night shots. Any recommendations on tripods that are easy to carry aroundthe parks, light weight, and allow good camera maneuverability? Oh, and affordable! Thanks!

Sweet Melissa

What kind of Nikon do you have? Knowing the size and weight of your camera will be able to help the experienced photo junkies here recommend the most appropriate tripods for you.

Sweet Melissa

And how much are you hoping to spend? There are some very good, stable carbon fiber (and therefore strong and lightweight) tripods that might cost a couple hundred dollars. Then there are other travel models with around $40 that are good starters, strong enough to support your D40 with a modest lens, but might vibrate a little in the wind when fully extended and may not support bigger lenses well. For something in the latter category, I like the look of something like this (TinyURL link to an Amazon page): http://preview.tinyurl.com/yja36m7

Really, I'm in the dark ages when it comes to photography. I have two Nikon SLR bodies but I still shoot film and will probably continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure if the D40 is much heavier than my N55 or N60, but I think that, barring shooting with gigantic lenses, you should be able to use an inexpensive aluminum tripod without issue for your upcoming trip. As your camera equipment grows, your tripod collection probably will as well.

Laura

Premium Member
There's always these kind of things: http://joby.com/gorillapod

For me though, I've only ever used trash cans and railings. A lot of the holiday decor at WDW is bright enough that you won't need too long of an exposure and a trash can usually suffices.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I forgot to mention the reason I said lighter. I tend to hang my tripod at WDW from a belt loop on my pants since that tends to keep it out of the way. It's to save wear and tear on the belt loops.

RiversideBunny

Actually if you get a fast lens, like 1.8 or even 2.8, you can get a lot of good shots just hand held or with the camera sitting on top of something.
A fast lens can also help for indoor attractions where flash is not permitted.
Fireworks would require a tripod probably.

The Christmas decorations at WDW are very photogenic and most show up best in the day time.

Good luck.
:xmas:

C&B Young

Agreed on both accounts!

I use a Velbon Ultra Luxi SF Tripod. Great on the portability front, but a little lacking in overall height. Folds down to 13", goes up to around 50".

http://www.amazon.com/Velbon-Ultra-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1256745958&sr=1-1

We just did our first trip with a similar tripod, the Velbon Luxi F. Not the sturdiest tripod when fully extended, and like WDWMagic said, I wish it went up higher (at least without having to extend the centre post all the way) but it was hassle-free to carry around. I carried it over my shoulder for the week, I originally tried using a belt loop but it kept bashing my knee! :)

WDWFigment

We just did our first trip with a similar tripod, the Velbon Luxi F. Not the sturdiest tripod when fully extended, and like WDWMagic said, I wish it went up higher (at least without having to extend the centre post all the way) but it was hassle-free to carry around. I carried it over my shoulder for the week, I originally tried using a belt loop but it kept bashing my knee! :)

This is what I use, and I've never had any issues with height. It's no longer made, but its replacement is the Luxi L. I got the Luxi SF first, but that was too short.

Monorail Lime

There's always these kind of things: http://joby.com/gorillapod

For me though, I've only ever used trash cans and railings. A lot of the holiday decor at WDW is bright enough that you won't need too long of an exposure and a trash can usually suffices.
The Gorillapod is especially useful for nighttime shows and other situations with heavy crowds. No cast members have ever given me any trouble about wrapping mine around light poles, tree branches, and other vantage points high over the sea of heads. This obviously requires a remote shutter release though.

DecWDW

So there's no restriction to taking tripods into the parks? We've had a couple situations at Disneyland in the past, where they weren't allowed at all. Even in Downtown Disney.

mkt

Premium Member
So there's no restriction to taking tripods into the parks? We've had a couple situations at Disneyland in the past, where they weren't allowed at all. Even in Downtown Disney.
Not at WDW.

mkt

Premium Member
What is the current policy at DL?
I've been curious about it. I've heard of people not being allowed into the parks with a tripod, but I've never had a problem entering with a lightweight collapsible tripod before.

mkt

Premium Member
How ironic... I just got a facebook reply from a photog in Southern California who deals regularly with DLR.

The official policy is to not allow professional tripods in. That being said, I've made it through the gate many times with them. Its really up to the gate CM you come to. I would look for a CM without a service pin on that looks pretty new and use that gate.

WDWFigment

I've heard of people having problems getting in with Canon L series lenses. I think last summer when Lindsay Lohan was frequently in the parks (and the tabloids), the rules were more stringently enforced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom