Apple Pay to be available at Walt Disney World by end of the year

PrincessNelly_NJ

The refund should work exactly the same as it did before. Instead of swiping your card at the POS for the return, you would select the payment card you used for the original transaction and complete another ApplePay transaction with the same authentication to complete the credit transaction.

One of the things that is really cool about Apple's solution vs. Google's is you'll be able to use your current AMEX, VISA, MasterCard and potentially many other merchant cards in the future. All of those cards would be stored on your phone and you select the card you want to use at the point of purchase instead of all transactions rolling to one predefined card. That will create the ability to add a large number of merchant cards in the future if this all takes off.
Ok that makes sense.

ApplePay is better than Google Wallet.
But Google Wallet already allows merchant cards & bank cards. Just not as many vendors as ApplePay.

But we all know it will come full circle.
Google did it first. Apple did it better. And Google will update to be more like ApplePay.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Ok that makes sense.

But Google Wallet already allows merchant cards. Just not as many vendors as ApplePay.

Google did it first. Apple did it better. And Google will update to be more like ApplePay.
In the end everyone wins really. They learn from each other, it's competition and it's beautiful though fanbois make it annoying.

glimmerman76

Well, first off, that 85% is really a stretch. Most of that number (well, I think most of it is made up, since only Apple reports sold numbers, and the rest report shipped, and the media is making up a lot of "others", but I don't want to start THAT argument) is for phones that are not top tier phones with NFC in them.

The bank still has the transaction, so there shouldn't be an issue with a refund.

It doesn't have to just benefit the business, but the banks and CC processors as well. So why haven't they embraced it before now? Seems like it would have been a no-brainer, but according to your earlier post, none of the major banks, and only MC supports Google Wallet? Why is that? I think the main reason is a lack of security, but who knows. Maybe Google just hasn't taken the time to work with them.

http://www.dazeinfo.com/2014/09/09/...y-several-major-smartphone-markets-worldwide/

glimmerman76

Ok that makes sense.

But Google Wallet already allows merchant cards & bank cards. Just not as many vendors as ApplePay.

Apple has still not said how all this will work, according to visa and mastercard there still has to be a virtual card just like with google wallet. Its not like the vender ever sees your credit card info with google wallet either they see a virtual card. And I have a physical google wallet card in my pocket also for places that dont have nfc

Voxel

Apple has still not said how all this will work, according to visa and mastercard there still has to be a virtual card just like with google wallet. Its not like the vender ever sees your credit card info with google wallet either they see a virtual card. And I have a physical google wallet card in my pocket also for places that dont have nfc
Haven't had a chance to read.. You might not be able to read this, because its the developer.apple domain but this might answer so questions. https://developer.apple.com/apple-pay/Getting-Started-with-Apple-Pay.pdf

PrincessNelly_NJ

I think.. ApplePay, uses an code in the same way Google Wallet uses the MasterCard number.

glimmerman76

Voxel

Nice read I have not been on the dev site in a few months working with android tv and android wear right now.

There is still no mention of how NFC payments will be handled tho. just internet payments
I went digging a little further seems to be based the pk, I have a feeling they are keeping the closed details of it more "hidden" to prevent being trying to take advantage of the system. Give it a few months and the exact methods will get better

Btw please tell me the dev kits for Android Tv and wear are better the googles dev kits for phones.

glimmerman76

the new dev kits are better than before but still lacking in some ways. API's are more in your face now. I've been playing with the NEST API.

It comes down to google has not changed much with the dev kit. Material Design is interesting tho. I think android L is going to change a few things at samsung.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Can you find a break down by brand. Like previous commented Android is a marvelous system, but the brands such as Samsung using things as Touchwiz makes them different breeds that some time's don't interact well with each other, or others get left in the dust.

In over words WebOS Return to me!!!!

It will be interesting to see how Samsung develops now that they aren't going to be able to overload android with touchwiz.

That's probably where the Note Edge idea came from. Since they can't mess with the software but can change up the physical appearance.

Also interesting to see what happens to Android now that Google agreed to get out the manufacturing side and focus on being a developer. Which is why they sold off Motorola to Lenovo.

PrincessNelly_NJ

the new dev kits are better than before but still lacking in some ways. API's are more in your face now. I've been playing with the NEST API.

It comes down to google has not changed much with the dev kit. Material Design is interesting tho. I think android L is going to change a few things at samsung.
How is android L changing Samsung?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Let's stay on topic. Feel free to fire up a thread in chit chat for dev and device discussion. Thanks

lazyboy97o

now you do realize that all those places that apple had on there little slid show already take contactless payments aka NFC right? And google wallets uses a virtual card that mastercard and visa back. Visa announce today they created the token system apple is using. So apple had nothing to do with it really
No, they do not all already take NFC payments. That is why we are discussing this on a Walt Disney World forum.

Thanks. Just looked that up. Recently someone from Dubai made a purchase with my card. Card was cancelled and a new one was issued. In the future, who would be responsible for the fraud in this situation? On my old card there was a silver, shiny square on the back. What was this for? I always thought that was a chip. On my new card I have a white small square on front and the same silver square on back.
The hologram is supposed to be a security device to prove it is a real card. In the future the liability would depend. I'm guessing Dubai uses chip and PIN, so the merchant would have the up-to-date technology. Had you bank not replaced your card with a chipped one they would have been liable.

Apple Pay uses a digital version of your existing cards, not one specifically created for the mobile payments that is tied to existing cards.

Voxel

Why Google. That is still the biggest thing keeping me away from Android dev, (and I am not the only, the guy who runs this site has the same complaints). Their kits are resource heavy with more leaks then I can shake a fist with. I think Google needs to sit down and rethink it's developer tools, esp when compared to apples (I hate to make this argument here but the Apple dev kit (Despite having an extremely difficult language) is not as resource heavy and doesn't seem to lag as much).

WDW1974

Yep it is definitely news for the millions of iPhone users that visit WDW.

I was surprised to see WDW being one of the very first to accept what will become a standard form of payment. Good move Disney, and great work Apple.

And very bad timing on behalf of Uni to announce ANYTHING on Apple's day. Great way to be drowned out in the chatter.

There was a great blog by the New York Times today (sorry, too lazy to find the link) on vastly overstating the import of this system. It came at it the same way I would have, frankly. It's something that just plain isn't needed. If people truly feel it is too tough to take cash, credit or debit out a pocket, purse or wallet than we really are doomed as a society.

This can be spun as convenience all day long by the Apple foamers and it doesn't change the fact that there is no convenience to it, except for the WALL*E crowds.

Technology can be a wonderful thing when it truly makes life better for the masses. But making it easier to be lazier than ever is what I view this as.

I get that you are a techie and that many Disney geeks are as well. I'm not. I like kewl technology when it serves a truly legit purpose/need. I don't see that here at all. Same as the watch toy, which a friend put best when saying that ''it shows that not all James Bond toys are worth having.''

As to UNI's announcement, I don't think they were worried about competing with Apple or anyone. They didn't announce their third park or the water park or even a groundbreaking attraction. They announced a hotel that anyone following them knew was coming. It should be as wonderful as their existing hotels as they march toward having the 12,000-14,000 rooms they eventually envision (and, at that point, they will have all they need to truly compete with Disney one-on-one in that facet of the business).

Last edited:

John

Couldn't agree more with @WDW1974 , I just received my biggest Tech purchase of the year today in the mailbox. I bought a Bosch Laser measure/range finder for my job. I can find the square ft. area of any room in about ten seconds....WOW! Now that's a time saver!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom