Animal Kingdom tidbits

WDWtraveler

Rivers of Light photo update as of Saturday, Nov 8, 2014. It appears vegetation has been cleared from most of the river banks and pilings have been sunk to perhaps "fill in" for the future seating structure around the lake.

IMG_3815.JPG

IMG_3816.JPG

WDWtraveler

The entrance to Discovery Island is expanded now. Photo update as of Monday, Nov. 24. The construction walls that "divided" the entrance to Discovery Island into "go left or right" has been moved back to the area in front of The Tree of Life. The area is a wide expanse of "themed" concrete, with three small "islands of vegetation."

IMG_4005.JPG

EPCOTCenterLover

The entrance to Discovery Island is expanded now. Photo update as of Monday, Nov. 24. The construction walls that "divided" the entrance to Discovery Island into "go left or right" has been moved back to the area in front of The Tree of Life. The area is a wide expanse of "themed" concrete, with three small "islands of vegetation."

View attachment 74961
What was there before?

WDWtraveler

Wow, that's a big area with no trees. :(

I would agree. If you look closely, there are three small trees, each about 12 feet high, one for each "island of vegetation." Two of the "islands" on the right line up together in this photo, one behind the other, so you can't tell there are two.

(Lots of room for food trucks...hahaha. I couldn't resist.)

RayTheFirefly

I would agree. If you look closely, there are three small trees, each about 12 feet high, one for each "island of vegetation." Two of the "islands" on the right line up together in this photo, one behind the other, so you can't tell there are two.

(Lots of room for food trucks...hahaha. I couldn't resist.)
The vegetation in those islands is so small and measly! My favorite part of DAK is that it's so lush, green, and shaded. I guess they felt they needed to do this for photo ops...

And oh dear about the food trucks... haha. Don't we technically have one of those in DAK in Asia? (I think it serves ice cream and drinks or something?)

Bolt

It will be really interesting to see how this works with entertainment being held there. It is not a big space, and the only way in and out of the park. It seems like it will create a congestion nightmare. Hopefully they have a good plan in place to handle it.
Similar to the one in Africa. Congestion nightmare everyday.

doctornick

I think the intention is they relocated the animal exhibit so they can have night time performances at this location.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have daytime performances at that location? Doing something mid-day would allow for more stuff spread out during the day and would lessen the issues of large crowds of people coming or going through the space because it is near opening/closing.

Regardless, any idea what the performance would be like?

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
It will be really interesting to see how this works with entertainment being held there. It is not a big space, and the only way in and out of the park. It seems like it will create a congestion nightmare. Hopefully they have a good plan in place to handle it.

They're considering a bypass... It's hard to explain as this has not been an issue in any of the other... Oh, Nvm...

xstech25

This was obviously cleared out for viewing of a show, the question is what they are going to be doing with TOL at night that is going to require that much viewing space?

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
This was obviously cleared out for viewing of a show, the question is what they are going to be doing with TOL at night that is going to require that much viewing space?

Well, to speculate, I would imagine they will feature the tree of life during the show. I believe they are adding illuminated features to the tree. There will be many show elements on the water as well. If you compare this show to World of Color in DCA, they feature Mickey's Fun Wheel at times during the show with lighting and laser effects.

On the issue of the new runway with no shade, I foresee many people leaving this park in summer afternoons and coming back for this night time show. I know that I do not enjoy Orlando's blistering sun and oppressive humidity in the summer, so that will be my plan for this show.

*1023*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom