American Idol: Season 9

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I hope Crystal wins. Sure, she's had some not-as-good nights, but I think she's the one with the most overall talent... she's the only one who's record I'd think about buying.

I can't imagine I'd ever hear of or from her again. Lee I can see actually becoming genuinely famous, a la Daughtry, Underwood or whatshername that won the first year (no slight, I just had a brain fart)

EDIT: Kelly Clarkson :brick:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Hard to say, Casey's done OK recently as has Mike. Crystal might be on the bubble if she doesn't really do well this week, she's had three or four not-great weeks. I think Lee's on his way to winning if he doesn't mess up.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Original Poster
Last night was kind of meh for me. Crystal did the best and the other three weren't that great. I would guess Mike or Casey will go home...:shrug:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Last night was kind of meh for me. Crystal did the best and the other three weren't that great. I would guess Mike or Casey will go home...:shrug:
Borderline as to who was worst, but nobody was particularly good. The duets were better than any of the individual performances, but even they weren't great. The only 'good' on last night's show was Casey's guitar on the duet, he really played well.

Based on the night, any of them could go and I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Well... Lee was fantastic!

I thought Casey did better than he was given credit for. The first song was obscure, but he sang it really well. The second song had no life to it because it's not a song that should have a lot of life, but he needed something he could really sing, a very bad choice for him.

I honestly thought Crystal totally imploded. She sang 'OK', but there was nothing special about either song. She looked awkward trying to sing 'around' the mouth harp on the first song, she could have left it out completely and no-one would have cared. It didn't add anything to the performance and detracted while she was singing. She just doesn't have the chops to sing Etheridge. Her second song she was incredibly uncomfortable singing what are a man's lyrics intended to be sung by a man. There's no way to change it up to make it a woman's song and she knew it. Absolutely horrible choice of song for her.

Lee will be there for the final. If I was basing it solely on tonight, Crystal would be leaving, but I suspect it's Jessie's time to go. Too many people have raved about Crystal all season for her to be bumped now. But I think she's lost her edge and can't perform to win next week.

mickey2008.1

Lee and crystal are staying. Casey just blahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Lee is our pick to win it all. Blame it on kara and randy for casey, john mayer, are you kidding me?

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I'm at the point where I don't even care who wins. :shrug: Crystal has lost whatever it was that made me love her for so long. Casey bores me and I forgot Lee was even still in the competition until about 2 weeks ago. This has been one horribly boring season. I'm glad it is ending and we will get So You Think You Can Dance next week.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Tonight was like an episode of the Twilight Zone!

Either I was listening to two entirely different singers tonight or the judges are A) totally stoned or, B) conspiring to change America's vote by judging as though it were "opposites day"! :shrug:

I thought Lee was between very good and phenomenal on all three songs and Crystal was mediocre on her first two and pleasant but uninspired on her third. I think she nearly destroyed "Black Velvet" by trying too hard to make it "her own" and if you're not comfortable walking down the stairs, take it out of the act instead of looking gawky and clumsy trying...

Maybe the Judges think by dumping on Lee he'll get more sympathy votes? He's certainly the more marketable of the two.

TurboCaroline

Original Poster
Tonight was like an episode of the Twilight Zone!

Either I was listening to two entirely different singers tonight or the judges are A) totally stoned or, B) conspiring to change America's vote by judging as though it were "opposites day"! :shrug:

I thought Lee was between very good and phenomenal on all three songs and Crystal was mediocre on her first two and pleasant but uninspired on her third. I think she nearly destroyed "Black Velvet" by trying too hard to make it "her own" and if you're not comfortable walking down the stairs, take it out of the act instead of looking gawky and clumsy trying...

Maybe the Judges think by dumping on Lee he'll get more sympathy votes? He's certainly the more marketable of the two.
I agree about that but I disagree about the performances. I thought Crystal did much better than Lee...but at this point I don't think it really matters. People already have their favorite...:shrug:

imagineer boy

I don't really care who wins tonite, either one is fine.

I just wanna see General Larry Platt (pants on the ground guy) make an appearance during the finale. :lol:

nibblesandbits

I thought Lee and Crystal both did well-ish on the first song...

That Lee did much better on the second song...and I didn't get the praise for Crystal on Black Velvet at all. I agree with you Monty in that she wasn't so hot with it. Both my hubby and I said she looked uncomfortable singing it. It just didn't fit her at all.

That being said...I think she did better than Lee did with that last song. It was much more fitting for her.

After last night, I think Crystal may win the whole thing...but I'd really like to see Lee take the crown.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I think I don't even care who wins tonight. :shrug: I don't think I would ever buy an album from either of them anyways. Based ONLY on last nights performances I think Crystal is the clear winner. Lee is still boring...but its not like Crystal is that exciting. At least she made some attempt at exhibiting a personality.

TurboCaroline

Original Poster
This doesn't surprise me at all...

http://music.msn.com/the-wrap/lee-dewyze-first-single/story/?Gt1=28102

'Idol' winner DeWyze debuts to lackluster sales
June 2, 2010, 9:51 PM EST

By Hunter Walker
TheWrap.com
Complaints that "American Idol" voters chose one of the least talented singers from among a particularly mediocre crop of contestants may be bearing out.
Sales figures are in for newly crowned season 9 champ Lee DeWyze's debut single, a cover of U2's "Beautiful Day" -- and they're way down compared to the numbers posted by past "Idol" winners.
DeWyze's single sold 95,000 copies in its first week out. That's a decline of nearly 30 percent from the 134,000 sales of season 8 winner Kris Allen's debut single "No Boundaries." And DeWyze had less than half the sales of season 7 winner David Cook's debut, which sold 236,000 copies. "Beautiful Day" isn't DeWyze's only song on the charts this week. He has six tracks on the SoundScan Top 200, including "Beautiful Day" and "Falling Slowly," a duet with "Idol" runner-up Crystal Bowersox. All are taken from his performances on the Fox hit. While that number might seem impressive, after season 7, David Cook landed 11 different songs on the Top 100.

DeWyze's weak sales are another sign that powerhouse "American Idol" is on the decline. Overall, ratings for the show were down 9 percent from last year. The finale, which aired last Wednesday, was the highest rated entertainment show of the 2009-10 broadcast season, but it was "Idol's" lowest rated finale since season 1, down 16 percent from last year's final show. Lackluster sales numbers weren't the only bad news for DeWyze in the week after his "Idol" win. In a phone interview, Bowersox, who recently broke up with her boyfriend, shot down rumors that she and DeWyze are dating saying: "That wouldn't happen ... he's like a brother to me." Ouch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom