American Experience: Walt Disney on PBS Sept. 14-15

216bruce

He was "in many ways a dark soul" is accurate. We all are, if you mean we have had adversity, difficult relationships....etc. I mean, the guy had at least one nervous breakdown, so 'dark'...yeah. It doesn't mean that he WAS a dark soul but he had that side to him. He wasn't a cartoon character like some make or want him to be. He was a real human...warts and all.
The sum of the first half is that Walt had a tough childhood, worked his butt off, built a studio that thrived at times. Had an ego and was hard to work for. He also was a genius of sorts. Compelling viewing, very well made and will be glued to the tv for tonight. My only regret is that it's only four hours.

disney4life2008

I loved every minute of the first half. I really enjoyed the rare photos and footage, that was great to see. Some things were really creepy, however, like the Mickey faces. Sheesh.

I appreciated the documentary going into the "bad" side of Walt Disney. A lot of folks like to think he had no flaws, and that just wasn't true. I'm really looking forward to the next installment tomorrow.

As I watching last night Michael Jackson kept popping in my head. It was very creepy when they discussed how Walt talked to Mickey but he was really talking to himself (that was the greatest metaphor I ever heard). But throughout, I kept thinking about Michael Jackson. In a few ways there were some great parallels between the two men. But I firmly stand that Michael Jackson gets an unfair wrap for many of his likes. Their youth stores are almost similar.

disney4life2008

He was "in many ways a dark soul" is accurate. We all are, if you mean we have had adversity, difficult relationships....etc. I mean, the guy had at least one nervous breakdown, so 'dark'...yeah. It doesn't mean that he WAS a dark soul but he had that side to him. He wasn't a cartoon character like some make or want him to be. He was a real human...warts and all.
The sum of the first half is that Walt had a tough childhood, worked his butt off, built a studio that thrived at times. Had an ego and was hard to work for. He also was a genius of sorts. Compelling viewing, very well made and will be glued to the tv for tonight. My only regret is that it's only four hours.

I know I am begging for more. The whole Disneyland and Disney World parts could be 4 hours alone. I am hoping they really talk about the creation of the parks and the battles. We all know the "magical" side of the Florida Experiment or whatever it was called - I want to hear the bad. I hope they go into details about Walt's death. We know Roy stepped in but what else happened? I know they probably wont touch this but I would love to hear more about the greedy son in law (I think Diane's husband). Maybe they should do a Disney company story - that is where the real drama is :)

disney4life2008

I already admired Walt very much, and this has somehow made me admire him even more... and it's not even over yet!

Did any of Walt's animation features ever win an Oscar? I felt so bad when they discussed Snow White only got an honorable oscar. I think many today take Snow White for granted but that is a true animation genius. I did not realize the process it took to develop.

sheriffwoody

Michael Jackson kept popping in my head.
I drew this comparison as well. I imagine that's common for people who are basically denied a childhood to love the things they missed when they become adults. I think the difference though is that MJ wanted to BE a child (at least from things I've read about him, I'm no expert). It seems to me like Walt was trying to create those memories and experiences for other kids (especially his own) that he missed out on. That's just what I gleaned from it though. I could have totally missed the message!

216bruce

Did any of Walt's animation features ever win an Oscar? I felt so bad when they discussed Snow White only got an honorable oscar. I think many today take Snow White for granted but that is a true animation genius. I did not realize the process it took to develop.
If you mean for best picture...no. There were nominations for other categories though and tons of 'wins' for animated shorts.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Not for best picture. B&TB was the first ever animated film to be nominated in for best picture. Walt does have more Oscars then any other person in Oscar history.

Californian Elitist

As I watching last night Michael Jackson kept popping in my head. It was very creepy when they discussed how Walt talked to Mickey but he was really talking to himself (that was the greatest metaphor I ever heard). But throughout, I kept thinking about Michael Jackson. In a few ways there were some great parallels between the two men. But I firmly stand that Michael Jackson gets an unfair wrap for many of his likes. Their youth stores are almost similar.

That's a pretty good parallel. Someone's childhood could possibly make or break them. Michael Jackson talks about that in his song "Childhood," which is a really sad song, by the way.

I absolutely love both Walt Disney and Michael Jackson.

Californian Elitist

The Studios still looks the same, by the way. Whenever I went there as a kid, I would pretend I was an animator. It was interesting seeing early 20th century Los Angeles in the documentary, as some things look the same now. Even homes like the one Walt first bought are still in existence.

disney4life2008

Not for best picture. B&TB was the first ever animated film to be nominated in for best picture. Walt does have more Oscars then any other person in Oscar history.

Beauty and the Beast is an amazing feature. I feel kind of bad calling these cartoons now - maybe I should say animation features. Beauty and the Beast to this day remains number 1 for me and I do not think it could ever be replicated.

disney4life2008

The Studios still looks the same, by the way. Whenever I went there as a kid, I would pretend I was an animator. It was interesting seeing early 20th century Los Angeles in the documentary, as some things look the same now. Even homes like the one Walt first bought are still in existence.

I caught a few glimpses during my LA tour last year. I found interesting everything that the studios had back in the 30s (gyms, dining, etc.). I guess many corporations had that back in the day. I also found scary that Walt wanted to create apartments near the studios so workers would never have to leave lol. It sounds like they never did anyway - they were pulling 12 hour shifts.

disney4life2008

I have a real question about race and disney during this era. Were
That's a pretty good parallel. Someone's childhood could possibly make or break them. Michael Jackson talks about that in his song "Childhood," which is a really sad song, by the way.

I absolutely love both Walt Disney and Michael Jackson.

For me, this is why I always say Captain EO is a perfect fit at disney world. I love that show and it gets me happy everytime I see it.

disney4life2008

I really enjoyed the first part last night. I had no idea how much love and labor went into Snow White. I also had not idea how much of an innovator Walt truly was. From putting audio to a cartoon to making a full feature animated film, he pioneered the industry at the time. He risked everything he had and pushed everyone to the limits to see his dreams through. Although he may not have always been the magical, flawless person we all sometimes think of him as, he had more courage than most of us have today. This documentary has so far has been educational and inspiring for me. I had a hard time going to sleep after watching it as my mind was racing. It's amazing that just watching a documentary on Walt and Roy Disney can make you feel a drive to work harder and motivate those around you. I also appreciate how Walt and Roy truly worked together to become successful, as that is not always the case with family businesses.

Although it was terrible how hard Walt's father was on him as a youth, it reminded me that that was normal in those days. My own great grandfather came to America from Germany in 1925. He was equally as hard on his son and together they built a company and reputation that is second to none still today, 85 years later. Naturally though, my grandfather was so hard on his sons that my father left in us 1992 and has never come back. I've worked for my grandfather and uncle now for almost 10 years and although it can be tough at times, seeing my grandfather still come in every day at age 84 "cracking the whip", is a stark reminder to the generation that truly built this great country. Needless to say, my grandfather has always been a Walt Disney fan as well as shareholder.

All in all, lots to reflect on and really take in with this documentary. I know not everyone will take away the same thoughts and feelings from it as I have, but I feel like this film really encompasses not only the story of Walt Disney but also that of America through out the 20th century. I can't wait to see part 2 tonight.

I am under the suspicion that tonight's part 2 will make me want to go to disney world asap lol

Californian Elitist

I caught a few glimpses during my LA tour last year. I found interesting everything that the studios had back in the 30s (gyms, dining, etc.). I guess many corporations had that back in the day. I also found scary that Walt wanted to create apartments near the studios so workers would never have to leave lol. It sounds like they never did anyway - they were pulling 12 hour shifts.

The gym and cafeteria are still there. The cafeteria serves really good food. There's also a Disney store onsite, and some of the things they sell aren't sold in the regular Disney stores in local malls and outlets.

The whole "living at the studios to be one big family" was weird for me, too lol. I would have firmly said no, if I were in their positions.

For me, this is why I always say Captain EO is a perfect fit at disney world. I love that show and it gets me happy everytime I see it.

You should have seen the Never Land Ranch (I've been there). Talk about feeling like a kid. It reminded me a lot of Disneyland. Whoever bought the place should open it to the public.

disney4life2008

You should have seen the Never Land Ranch (I've been there). Talk about feeling like a kid. It reminded me a lot of Disneyland. Whoever bought the place should open it to the public.

And that is my problem with the way Michael Jackson is portrayed. He created a theme park at his mansion - granted it was for himself (which was odd and the outcomes were questionable). I would have loved to go to Never Land. But I really would have loved to go to Disneyland back in the 50's. Did they serve chicken breast nuggets and fries? idk LOL

Californian Elitist

And that is my problem with the way Michael Jackson is portrayed. He created a theme park at his mansion - granted it was for himself (which was odd and the outcomes were questionable). I would have loved to go to Never Land. But I really would have loved to go to Disneyland back in the 50's. Did they serve chicken breast nuggets and fries? idk LOL

The Disneyland portion will be presented tonight, maybe your question will be answered LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom