American Experience: Walt Disney on PBS Sept. 14-15

prberk

This video clip preview from PBS does seem a little more on darker side than I expected from a preview of a PBS special:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365561393/

Just a clip, but I hope it is more balanced than this clip seems to imply. We shall see. I guess this in balanced, in some ways, to his "public personna," but I will reserve judgment until the whole program is shown. He did have to make some hard decisions, and he was human. And it is well-documented from Richard Sherman and others that Walt was always short on actual criticism. You knew he liked something if he said, "That'll do." And he was mad if he tapped his finger, both facts shared here also.

Edit: It does seem like that was just a scene. Scroll down on that page for more, including extra archival footage and things.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

I think what I admire most about Walt is his fearlessness. He failed several times, and had two nervous breakdowns, but he was always ready to try again - and he did so without compromising his values. Incredible courage.

As for this "dark soul" crap, that's exactly what I would expect from a guy like Gabler. His book panders, at least a little, to the demographic that simply cannot believe a hugely successful person can also be a fundamentally good person. Walt was more scarred than dark. He was flawed the way diamonds are. Yep, that's flowery, but it is still incredible to me that Walt remained a decent man despite all he went through. And you know, actually, a lot of people are like that...they just don't get the headlines. Such people should be treasured more than they are in this pseudo-intellectual-cynical-progressive society.
And we've seen a lot of Gabler so far in this part, at least. A reviewer I trust was not too high on his bio of Walt, IIRC.

Tony the Tigger

Haven't seen this anywhere else but if there's another thread for it please do what you must.

PBS' American Experience series will be airing a four-hour documentary about Walt Disney on September 14 and 15 and I'm really excited for it! Anyone else? Seems like it's really well-done from the previews and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Darn! Missed the first hour, have to record the re-run at 1AM.

lazyboy97o

That speech Walt gave to his staff prior to the strike. It's so shocking to hear Walt say "Dam" during that infamous speech. They weren't kidding around when they said it was going to show Walt's darker side. I'm already looking forward to part 2 tomorrow night.
By all accounts Walt had quite the foul mouth and was particularly fond of a word that is synonymous with excrement.

Californian Elitist

I loved every minute of the first half. I really enjoyed the rare photos and footage, that was great to see. Some things were really creepy, however, like the Mickey faces. Sheesh.

I appreciated the documentary going into the "bad" side of Walt Disney. A lot of folks like to think he had no flaws, and that just wasn't true. I'm really looking forward to the next installment tomorrow.

Last edited:

ItlngrlBella

Just finished watching part 1 - very well done. I didn't know he had a dark and "greedy" side (at least they portrayed a greedy side). That was a bit disappointing. He was an AMAZING man but I think many (myself included) have the perfect Santa Claus/God persona built up in our minds, and we are reminded he was human and wasn't perfect.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

I don't have any problem with them showing the bad stuff (he was human, after all), but I didn't like them leading with Gabler saying something like "he was a dark soul". That's a pretty serious judgment to pass on someone; it makes it sound like he went on to become a triple murderer. :rolleyes:

P_Radden

I really enjoyed the first part last night. I had no idea how much love and labor went into Snow White. I also had not idea how much of an innovator Walt truly was. From putting audio to a cartoon to making a full feature animated film, he pioneered the industry at the time. He risked everything he had and pushed everyone to the limits to see his dreams through. Although he may not have always been the magical, flawless person we all sometimes think of him as, he had more courage than most of us have today. This documentary has so far has been educational and inspiring for me. I had a hard time going to sleep after watching it as my mind was racing. It's amazing that just watching a documentary on Walt and Roy Disney can make you feel a drive to work harder and motivate those around you. I also appreciate how Walt and Roy truly worked together to become successful, as that is not always the case with family businesses.

Although it was terrible how hard Walt's father was on him as a youth, it reminded me that that was normal in those days. My own great grandfather came to America from Germany in 1925. He was equally as hard on his son and together they built a company and reputation that is second to none still today, 85 years later. Naturally though, my grandfather was so hard on his sons that my father left in us 1992 and has never come back. I've worked for my grandfather and uncle now for almost 10 years and although it can be tough at times, seeing my grandfather still come in every day at age 84 "cracking the whip", is a stark reminder to the generation that truly built this great country. Needless to say, my grandfather has always been a Walt Disney fan as well as shareholder.

All in all, lots to reflect on and really take in with this documentary. I know not everyone will take away the same thoughts and feelings from it as I have, but I feel like this film really encompasses not only the story of Walt Disney but also that of America through out the 20th century. I can't wait to see part 2 tonight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom