American Experience: Walt Disney on PBS Sept. 14-15

VJ

Original Poster
Haven't seen this anywhere else but if there's another thread for it please do what you must.

PBS' American Experience series will be airing a four-hour documentary about Walt Disney on September 14 and 15 and I'm really excited for it! Anyone else? Seems like it's really well-done from the previews and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Walt Disney is one of my idols. He was such an amazing person and the way he thought about things was so revolutionary and inspirational. I love how he did what he did for the love of it and to make the world a better place rather than for money. I'll be watching this series without a doubt.

brb1006

Walt Disney is one of my idols. He was such an amazing person and the way he thought about things was so revolutionary and inspirational. I love how he did what he did for the love of it and to make the world a better place rather than for money. I'll be watching this series without a doubt.
I'm so going to watch this when it finally airs later this year.

prberk

Just clarifying something for everyone. It is a two-parter, four hours total; NOT a two-hour show repeating on the second night.

I am just saying that because I thought in the beginning it was just a two-hour movie, maybe being shown twice. That is not the case.

Set your DVR for both nights.

And I do encourage (older) kids to watch it, for the same reason that I believe "The Walt Disney Story" should still be shown daily at the MK Town Square: because it is important that we know the great story of the man behind the mouse and the company.

By the way, you might find it interesting that a special episode of "The Wonderful World of Disney" focusing on Walt's life, similar to this, was the first show back on the air with fresh programming in the week following the September 11, 2001, attacks. It was Sunday, September 16, 2001, with Michael Eisner introducing it. Following the movie, he gave a nod to the time and showed a beautiful montage over Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA." Beautiful. Ironic that we are so close to September 11 again when this show premieres.

216bruce

Just clarifying something for everyone. It is a two-parter, four hours total; NOT a two-hour show repeating on the second night.

I am just saying that because I thought in the beginning it was just a two-hour movie, maybe being shown twice. That is not the case.

Set your DVR for both nights.

And I do encourage (older) kids to watch it, for the same reason that I believe "The Walt Disney Story" should still be shown daily at the MK Town Square: because it is important that we know the great story of the man behind the mouse and the company.

By the way, you might find it interesting that a special episode of "The Wonderful World of Disney" focusing on Walt's life, similar to this, was the first show back on the air with fresh programming in the week following the September 11, 2001, attacks. It was Sunday, September 16, 2001, with Michael Eisner introducing it. Following the movie, he gave a nod to the time and showed a beautiful montage over Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA." Beautiful. Ironic that we are so close to September 11 again when this show premieres.
I thought the same thing this morning with regards to the timing.
There's a lot of very divided reviews and opinions that I've already read about the PBS doc, most centering around how Walt is portrayed. The opening segment mention by Neal Gabler of Walt having a "dark soul' has raised a ruckus and some fears among folks that the doc will be a slam job on Walt. I doubt it will be. A notable Disney historian, Michael Barrier, has already pretty much given up on the program and I don't think he's even seen the final cut. He invoked 'where are you Ken Burns, when we need you'...
Earlier in my career I made documentaries, got some nice recognition for them and did one on baseball in Cleveland. It aired locally about a year or so before Burns' did. When I watched the Burns doc I was amazed at how much was left out and how out-of-balance and incomplete it was as seen from the viewpoint of the lifelong baseball fan and amateur historian that I am. However, as a filmmaker I also knew that no matter how hard you try to get everything important in, be balanced and still be 'watchable' for the general public that you will NEVER keep everyone happy. This will likely be the case with the reviews and discussion following the "American Experience" doc. Finally, I found this quote from Walt on a FB page regarding the 'darkness' that folks seem to fear that the program will bring up..."I always look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter...life is composed of lights and shadows and we would be untruthful, insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows."

Hear, Hear!

prberk

I thought the same thing this morning with regards to the timing.
There's a lot of very divided reviews and opinions that I've already read about the PBS doc, most centering around how Walt is portrayed. The opening segment mention by Neal Gabler of Walt having a "dark soul' has raised a ruckus and some fears among folks that the doc will be a slam job on Walt. I doubt it will be. A notable Disney historian, Michael Barrier, has already pretty much given up on the program and I don't think he's even seen the final cut. He invoked 'where are you Ken Burns, when we need you'...
Earlier in my career I made documentaries, got some nice recognition for them and did one on baseball in Cleveland. It aired locally about a year or so before Burns' did. When I watched the Burns doc I was amazed at how much was left out and how out-of-balance and incomplete it was as seen from the viewpoint of the lifelong baseball fan and amateur historian that I am. However, as a filmmaker I also knew that no matter how hard you try to get everything important in, be balanced and still be 'watchable' for the general public that you will NEVER keep everyone happy. This will likely be the case with the reviews and discussion following the "American Experience" doc. Finally, I found this quote from Walt on a FB page regarding the 'darkness' that folks seem to fear that the program will bring up..."I always look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter...life is composed of lights and shadows and we would be untruthful, insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows."

Hear, Hear!

Yeah, I am sure that we will see when it airs. While it was not a Disney Pictures production, I don't think the company is shying too far away from it, which is likely to be telling that it is not overly critical of their namesake. It was featured prominently, as you know, at D23, with a "behind the scenes" look at the making of it. I doubt the company would have done that at a fan convention if it were too critical.

By the same token, I do not anticipate that it will be "The Wonderful World of Disney" entirely either.

So, I guess we will see.

There is always the documentary that the company put out in 2001 (premiered as I mentioned above on The Wonderful World right after 9-11-01), called "Walt Disney: The Man Behind the Myth." It is available on DVD and is comprised mostly of interviews with significant figures in his career, and well worth watching itself. It would provide another perspective.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I saw the bit about the dark soul too. Walt's life growing up wasn't all candy and lollipops, his upbringing definitely took a toll on him. You can have a dark soul but it doesn't mean you are bad or evil. He used that in his art and created some truly beautiful and beloved things. He also wasn't perfect he was a human with flaws and faults.

216bruce

I saw the bit about the dark soul too. Walt's life growing up wasn't all candy and lollipops, his upbringing definitely took a toll on him. You can have a dark soul but it doesn't mean you are bad or evil. He used that in his art and created some truly beautiful and beloved things. He also wasn't perfect he was a human with flaws and faults.
Agreed.For me, it's a lot easier to admire someone when you see they aren't perfect. None of us are.

Magenta Panther

I think what I admire most about Walt is his fearlessness. He failed several times, and had two nervous breakdowns, but he was always ready to try again - and he did so without compromising his values. Incredible courage.

As for this "dark soul" crap, that's exactly what I would expect from a guy like Gabler. His book panders, at least a little, to the demographic that simply cannot believe a hugely successful person can also be a fundamentally good person. Walt was more scarred than dark. He was flawed the way diamonds are. Yep, that's flowery, but it is still incredible to me that Walt remained a decent man despite all he went through. And you know, actually, a lot of people are like that...they just don't get the headlines. Such people should be treasured more than they are in this pseudo-intellectual-cynical-progressive society.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I think what I admire most about Walt is his fearlessness. He failed several times, and had two nervous breakdowns, but he was always ready to try again - and he did so without compromising his values. Incredible courage.

As for this "dark soul" crap, that's exactly what I would expect from a guy like Gabler. His book panders, at least a little, to the demographic that simply cannot believe a hugely successful person can also be a fundamentally good person. Walt was more scarred than dark. He was flawed the way diamonds are. Yep, that's flowery, but it is still incredible to me that Walt remained a decent man despite all he went through. And you know, actually, a lot of people are like that...they just don't get the headlines. Such people should be treasured more than they are in this pseudo-intellectual-cynical-progressive society.
Stories like Disneys are a great lesson to us all. Failure will happen but you have to get up and try again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom