Africa Marketplace expansion coming to Harambe at Disney's Animal Kingdom

doctornick

I wonder if the parade might come back. I can see why they stopped it right now with the amount of construction in AK and walls everywhere.

I hope it does or at least something comparable. Rivers of Light should be a great addition, but the park could use some sort of major entertainment event during the day as well. If not a new parade, then maybe some sort of day time show on the water (where Rivers of Light is performing) to utilize the infrastructure for RoL more.

rael ramone

My thoughts:

It's going to be a real challenge to maintain the 'authenticity' of Harambe and have a functional outdoor food service market with tables. Perhaps that can't be helped, but there looks like a sincere effort here.

A concern: African and African-inspired food, when done properly, is delicious. Jiko is incredible and consistently great. Boma is great as well, and Sanaa is very good. Even the African Stew at the Mara is good.

But the 'Africa' F&W booth this year: Tibs Wett (which the berbere beef was attempting to mimic) and Bobotie are both delicious when done properly (the 'Soul of a New Cuisine' cookbook from Marcus Samuelsson that I bought at Animal Kingdom Lodge has great recipes for both), but what they served was '2 bites and into the trash'. 2014 F&W quality won't cut it. And will the theme park QS crowd even want good African food?

majortom1981

My thoughts:

It's going to be a real challenge to maintain the 'authenticity' of Harambe and have a functional outdoor food service market with tables. Perhaps that can't be helped, but there looks like a sincere effort here.

A concern: African and African-inspired food, when done properly, is delicious. Jiko is incredible and consistently great. Boma is great as well, and Sanaa is very good. Even the African Stew at the Mara is good.

But the 'Africa' F&W booth this year: Tibs Wett (which the berbere beef was attempting to mimic) and Bobotie are both delicious when done properly (the 'Soul of a New Cuisine' cookbook from Marcus Samuelsson that I bought at Animal Kingdom Lodge has great recipes for both), but what they served was '2 bites and into the trash'. 2014 F&W quality won't cut it. And will the theme park QS crowd even want good African food?

I would say yes considering a lot of people have been to animal kingdom lodge for dinner. I would think they will make it easy and serve things at these new qs that they serve at the lodge. Like the flat bread pizzas with the green curry .

Fox&Hound

That movie seems sketchy to me as to if it'll even be good and personally, i'd rather DAK have original content than fill it with unnecessary toons.

Just had a sudden realization while writing that that DAK may be my EPCOT. Meaning that I want to keep DAK as pure as possible. I'd much rather something original than something based off of a toon for the park. It's a bit ironic as I was just saying the other day how BH6 could potentially fit into innoventions and I didn't have a problem with it. I guess i'm a hypocrite that way. :cool:

But back to the Africa Marketplace....

Ummm....but The Good Dinosaur would be original content????

rael ramone

I would say yes considering a lot of people have been to animal kingdom lodge for dinner. I would think they will make it easy and serve things at these new qs that they serve at the lodge. Like the flat bread pizzas with the green curry .

I hope your right... If the food patterns itself similar to Boma (some 'kiddie' stuff that some fraidy-cat adults end up eating, but a majority either outright authenticly African or more familiar items with a distintive African flavor/inspiration and hopefully with Boma quality).

Fox&Hound

Sorry, Off topic:

Does anyone else feel like Rafiki's planet watch could be much better utilized or changed all together? I was very disappointed when I made the train ride to discover what was actually over there. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

On-topic: I am really excited about the changes coming to DAK and hope that they are the start of a beautiful new era for AK. Would love to see Dinoland, Asia, and Rafiki's planet watch area get some love too. Either way, a lot of the problems of AK seem to be getting addressed.

Rob562

The new path will outlet near Wonders of Flight (on the Africa side of the attraction).

I don't think it'll even be that close. It'll be just to the East of Tamu Tamu refreshments. (I think there's been a backstage gate in that area up until recently)

-Rob

ToTBellHop

Can someone use an aerial of the area to show how it connects to Asia? I keep hearing about this path but all I see is that it just exits behind Tamu Tamu Courtyard which is not anywhere near Asia.
I think you are right. It's more of a bypass of the mess in the middle of Harambe (the music acts don't help) to get to the Africa-Asia walkway. It will certainly relieve congestion.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Tangent it is not original content: See Big Hero 6 Thread for @lazyboy97o doing a much more artful description.
200.gif

RayTheFirefly

I'm just gonna drop that pretty much every comment I've read on this thread has been positive. Granted, some have said they need more rides, but no one thinks this (and if you go back, response for moving FoLK was pretty similar) is a bad idea, or the night show, or the other stuff.

So, everyone just file this thread away as examples next time we (as a collective forum) get accused of "doom and gloom" and "haters" and all that jazz.

When Disney does right, we like it. When they don't, well, everyone can have their own opinion.

And my opinion on this is I'm THRILLED (even with Avatar) with what it appears they are sinking into AK. I hope they do it right and it turns out great, cause it's all looking pretty darned tasty...and makes me hungry for a visit!
Agreed! This is one of my favorite threads because of all the positivity! :)

FutureCEO

More rides we need but nice to see Animal Kingdom getting some love. Now all we need is to make the raft ride longer and get rid of Chester and Hesters

Last edited:

DWLove

I am way too excited for this expansion and can't wait to see it! I travelled to Kenya this summer and really hope that this area, and the African inspired food do it justice. (I will seriously never leave this area of AK if they have good chapati)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom