Africa Marketplace expansion coming to Harambe at Disney's Animal Kingdom

englanddg

One Little Spark...
While all of this is truly great for the park, I'd like to know that they aren't going to stop at Avatar. Even after RoL and Avatar, the park will still need a good amount of ride capacity. Hopefully expansion will continue after 2017.
If Avatar and the extended hours can up the attendance, I have little doubt they'll dust off some more ride concepts.

All the more reason to book your 2017/2018 trips now!

RSoxNo1

When you start to add everything up:

1. Pandora Expansion - E Ticket, C Ticket, new AAs, food/shopping, amazing theming
2. Expanded Outfitters store
3. New/improved Festival of the Lion King Theater and themed district area
4. New Africa Marketplace with new QS and shopping - hopefully african inspired QS
5. Nighttime safaris
6. Rivers of Light nighttime show
7. New tamarin exhibit
8. Refurbished show at Rafiki's Planet Watch
9. Flame Tree Barbecue expansion and plussing
10. Refurbished Pizzafari
11. Refurbished Tree of Life - Removal of Netting!
12. Refurbished animal trail - can't remember which one
13. Refurbished Tree of Life Garden
14. New TS restaurant

(We did lose a parade though, which was disappointing.)

When you look at that list, that is a very good trend for improving a park. I can put up with the construction walls over the next few years knowing how much better this park will ultimately be. Hoping that there are some additions to Asia as well (and of course DinoLand also). It seems odd that they are putting this much time into Africa/Harambe and they wouldn't do anything in the Asia area. Oh well, time will tell.
Creature Comforts is also changing.

flyerjab

If Avatar and the extended hours can up the attendance, I have little doubt they'll dust off some more ride concepts.

All the more reason to book your 2017/2018 trips now!

I am wondering that myself. There will be many animal exhibits that won't be viewable at night - not including the safari obviously. Maybe, after Pandora, Rivers of Light and the Nighttime Safaris are open, and they have increased the capacity potential with more open spaces, restaurants and shops, the need to add additional rides will rear its head.

rct247

DAK may not be my favorite park, but I am very very pleased to see all the attention and construction this park is getting. I'm still on the fence on Avatarland, but I will say that I"m glad it is something at least. This marketplace sounds like it will be an excellent addition to Africa.

I'm really starting to see why Magic Kingdom has been getting most of the attention and capacity upgrades. They are going to need it when DAK, Studios, and even the Frozen addition to Epcot are finished. Expect the parks to be even busier, especially Magic Kingdom.

flyerjab

Merchandise shop that is becoming a "quick service dining location". Based on the permit filed for it, it's likely to become a Starbucks.

@danlb_2000, didn't you post a permit for something in DAK referred to as a water tower show effect? Looking at the new concept art of the new marketplace area, doesn't there appear to be a water tower in the right hand side of the picture?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
@danlb_2000, didn't you post a permit for something in DAK referred to as a water tower show effect? Looking at the new concept art of the new marketplace area, doesn't there appear to be a water tower in the right hand side of the picture?

Yes, this was filed back in early October:

799 W, Savannah Circle - Harambe Expansion - Water Tower Show Set

Yes there is a water tower in the concept art, and it's possible that the area I have circled in red is the start of the tower:

Capture.JPG

Kman101

I agree the park needs additional ride capacity but this is about the new marketplace that opened. Can we maybe focus on the good they are doing and not what we want/think they should do that they aren't doing?

matt9112

There isn't some sort of 'show' element to this water tower is there? I was wondering (now that I saw the concept art picture) if water would spill out from time to time. Like an area in DAK where one could cool off. Just a thought.

To compete with the dragon on diagon ally the yeti (formally) of EE will now climb the watertower or should I say he will be at the base of the strucure in a climbing position with strobe lights giving the illusion he is climbing it.

Next Big Thing

I agree the park needs additional ride capacity but this is about the new marketplace that opened. Can we maybe focus on the good they are doing and not what we want/think they should do that they aren't doing?
First of all, the marketplace isn't open yet. It explicitly states in Steve's article it's opening Spring 2015.

Second, I didn't realize we aren't allowed to wish the best for the parks. Everything happening at DAK is great and much needed. But they need to keep pushing and not be happy that they made it a "nighttime park". As great as everything is, another nice expansion with a new ride or two would do wonders. And that's not really a wish. That's a park need.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom