Africa Marketplace expansion coming to Harambe at Disney's Animal Kingdom

doctornick

DAK is really shaping up into the second best park at WDW. With a few more rides* here and there it will be up there with MK

EDIT: *quality

I don't want to belabor my previous suggestions, but once Pandora and RoL and the night safaris are up and running, I really think that DAK will only need ~2-3 B/C-ticket type rides and a daytime show (parade on water?) to be a "complete" park for virtually any guest. Even though it would still be a little light on rides compared to most parks, it would have so much "exploring" elements to really be engaging. And if they can get the ride count to ~10-12 rides, that coupled with the major entertainment would be enough that even the "regular" guests that ignore the animal trails and detailed elements can have a full day and the park could shed the "half day park" stigma that it has among some; while others would find enough to be occupied for 2 full days without problems if they wanted to really take everything in and wander.

I think doing so would help to really compliment the other WDW parks and provide a very different but still fulfilling experience as a counter to the likes of MK and Epcot. Once Pandora and RoL come, the park is going to be so close to being the fully realized experience that it can. Disney would just need to invest a little more to cross the finish line.

Timothy_Q

AK needs an original dark ride that represents the theme of the park.
Like what SSE and GMR are for Epcot and DHS.
But who am I kidding, Disney doesn't do those anymore.

Mike S

I don't think they need an epic E-ticket one necessarily, but they do need 1 or 2 dark rides to properly round out the park. And not something rough like Dinosaur but a calmer experience.
I say it needs 4-5. All family. And then maybe 2 more E Tickets.

doctornick

I say it needs 4-5. All family. And then maybe 2 more E Tickets.

See, this is where I fall in the middle of the "DAK is a half day park and needs tons of new stuff" on one side and "DAK is a full park and my family can spend 2 or more days there and not see everything" on the other side. I think you are underselling how much there already is to do in the park.

Pandora + RoL + another 2-3 rides (which don't necessarily need to be E-tickets IMHO) would make it a "full day park" with sufficient major rides for the majority of guests. It would be enough that people don't feel ripped off by spending a day of their vacation there. The Safari, Everest and Dinosaur are already a good core of headliners and I expect the Pandora E-ticket to be a good addition there. The boat ride hopefully will add to the secondary attractions, but I would agree that a few more things there are needed to round stuff out. RoL will give the park the spectacle it has always missed (MJJ was a nice parade, but not a big headliner for entertainment).

Last edited:

matt9112

DAK is really shaping up into the second best park at WDW. With a few more rides* here and there it will be up there with MK

EDIT: *quality

i agree honestly a redo of dino land plus everything already involved with dirt moving (pandora ect) would make it a pretty good sell. a second well done ride in dino land would be great. (remove the carnival section and continue the deep serous tone of the institute nothing amazing just a good well themed D)

edit: favorite part of new market is the archway i have a thing for grand entrances.....get it.

dreamscometrue

No shopping here, all food and drink.

I was thinking I read about shopping too, so I went looking. With the concept art posted on Nov. 20th, 2014 on this site, I found...

"The new area, called Africa Marketplace will open in Spring 2015, including new merchandise locations, a new quick service restaurant, and a new walkway linking Africa to Asia."

and...

"Not only will the new Africa Marketplace bring new dining and shopping, it will offer congestion relief to the extremely crowded Harambe."

Do you know if plans changed, or there is still a plan to offer a small merchandise location? Thanks.

ToTBellHop

I was thinking I read about shopping too, so I went looking. With the concept art posted on Nov. 20th, 2014 on this site, I found...

"The new area, called Africa Marketplace will open in Spring 2015, including new merchandise locations, a new quick service restaurant, and a new walkway linking Africa to Asia."

and...

"Not only will the new Africa Marketplace bring new dining and shopping, it will offer congestion relief to the extremely crowded Harambe."

Do you know if plans changed, or there is still a plan to offer a small merchandise location? Thanks.
Shopping for food? The final location to open will sell candy like many gift shops...

doctornick

i think too many people see parades as mandatory....truly not the case.

I don't think parades should be "mandatory" for any park (though DHS could definitely use a daytime one again) but having large scale entertainment is a big part of the Disney park experience IMHO. It's one of the things that really sets Disney apart from other parks, including Universal at this point. USF has done great work, but there their parade and Cinematic Spectacular aren't anything special.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom