Africa Marketplace expansion coming to Harambe at Disney's Animal Kingdom

RSoxNo1

It's certainly worthy of praise, but I wouldn't rank it higher than Diagon Alley
I meant in a Disney park, but that's an interesting debate. As a wholly immersive land, I typically say Diagon Alley, but I would take Kilimanjaro Safaris over Gringotts every day of the week. It's nothing against Gringotts, I just think there very well may be more in Africa now.

Mike S

I meant in a Disney park, but that's an interesting debate. As a wholly immersive land, I typically say Diagon Alley, but I would take Kilimanjaro Safaris over Gringotts every day of the week. It's nothing against Gringotts, I just think there very well may be more in Africa now.
I was about to bring up Cars Land but then I remembered something: how I didn't like how much of the rest of the park you can see while inside. Animal Kingdom does have really great theming aside from DinoRama and Africa has been getting better and better. Kilamanjaro is also great.

BrianLo

In my opinion, as a whole, Animal Kingdom is the second best thematically executed park in the world (obviously top honours to Tokyo Disney Sea). It's not without its flaws though, whereas TDS is possibly flawless.

Diagon Alley (when you are inside), may very well be the best themed land in the world. However, it's in the worst, as a whole, thematically executed park in Orlando. Universal studios is definitely on the lower end of all Disney/Uni parks. Top honours to Paris' Walt Disney Studios though in that category.

And before anyone freaks at that suggestion - DHS is by far the lesser park in its current state when compared to Universal Studios. However, DHS is marginally prettier, and that's all I'm talking about here.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
i think too many people see parades as mandatory....truly not the case.
Some of us love them ... because it takes a couple of thousand people out of the ride queues, making my wait shorter. ;)

Seriously, in at least a dozen trips, each consisting of 10 days, I have never willingly stopped to watch a daytime parade. Night time - yes! Daytime parade or castle show - pass!

CTXRover

It's certainly worthy of praise, but I wouldn't rank it higher than Diagon Alley

I would definitely rank it higher if you consider everything that makes up Africa including the original village, theater area, this new marketplace, the safari and Pangani forest. In March, we spent nearly 3.5 hours in Africa between the lion king show, lunch at Tusker House, the safari and walking Pangani. It was then I realized how truly immersive the entire land is. It seems natural, but everything there was designed and built (or planted by design). Much larger and immersive than any other themed land imo.

The one thing I suppose Africa lacks is more authentic shopping. However, at least the main store in the village does offer some unique items not found in other stores in the park and are somewhat specific to the Africa section.

Last edited:

matt9112

I don't think parades should be "mandatory" for any park (though DHS could definitely use a daytime one again) but having large scale entertainment is a big part of the Disney park experience IMHO. It's one of the things that really sets Disney apart from other parks, including Universal at this point. USF has done great work, but there their parade and Cinematic Spectacular aren't anything special.

aren't they totally redoing the latter?

jdmdisney99

Cant wait to see a new map of the area.
On the disneyworld.com site, it is there when you zoom in on DAK, but it disappears when you get closer...
dakmapwithharambemarket.jpg

flyerjab

I would definitely rank it higher if you consider everything that makes up Africa including the original village, theater area, this new marketplace, the safari and Pangani forest. In March, we spent nearly 3.5 hours in Africa between the lion king show, lunch at Tusker House, the safari and walking Pangani. It was then I realized how truly immersive the entire land is. It seems natural, but everything there was designed and built (or planted by design). Much larger and immersive than any other themed land imo.

The one thing I suppose Africa lacks is more authentic shopping. However, at least the main store in the village does offer some unique items not found in other stores in the park and are somewhat specific to the Africa section.

Agree with you on all points.

Disney4family

Thanks! That ground meat on the flatbread looks like a good amount for a lunch, and the chicken/veggies is right up my wife's healthy ally. Looks like I'll be taking yak and yeti QS off the table in July and replacing it with Harambe :)

We agree! The place and the food look great! We have a lunch scheduled for the afternoon of our morning Wild Africa Trek at the Rainforest Cafe. I would rather eat here than go to the head of the park for generic food.

Thank you for the report and pictures!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I still wonder if AK will get another table service restaurant. If they are going to turn it into a full day park it will probably need it.

matt9112

yeah diagon ally is deff a cut above. also
Ah, yes, forgot about that one.

details? theme? size? ect?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom