A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Nj4mwc

It.

maxresdefault.jpg

"I know only about 2 people are going to understand this around here, but I stand by my obscure references."
Be careful or you'll make the list

FigmentJedi

Family film though. Goal shouldn't be to terrify young children. Friends kid who i showed that pic too were terrified. Nostaglia is based on not being tramuatized by movies. Which were the faults of Henson with the Dark Crystal and Labrinyth and Disney may be doing with these live remakes. Jungle Book also had issues scaring kids.
If anything, it's the opposite. People remember the scary stuff the most when it comes to movies of their childhood. I mean, that's the entire basis of Disney's villain merchandising. Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal became classics because they pushed beyond the typical "Puppets are kiddy crap" barrier. Why the Large Marge scene is the most memorable part of Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Phil12

Why are you on the boards if you support this? Walt was by no means perfect, not in the slightest, but the horrible things she said were so painstakingly false.
Walt was clearly a racist, misogynist and antisemitic. For the majority of his life, it was culturally acceptable for white males to discriminate in such fashion. You've got to remember that the civil rights act only became law in the USA just two years before Walt's death.

But just because it was culturally acceptable does not translate to saying that it never happened.

Sped2424

Just because things sing and dance and have personality doesn't make them less horrifying. It also isn't just myself just stating the people are know find them creepy but quite a few others have as well.

http://www.avclub.com/article/lumiere-and-cogsworth-are-lookin-kinda-creepy-live-241770
That article was about their concept art forms rather than how they are depicted in the film. And given that we still have yet to see the servants in motion I think the "too creepy for kids" blah blah you are saying is rather premature. Also you know kids can grow up with a little creepy and like it right? I loved Nightmare before Christmas as a child and those designs were intentionally spooky and off putting.

Donaldfan1934

Walt was clearly a racist, misogynist and antisemitic. For the majority of his life, it was culturally acceptable for white males to discriminate in such fashion. You've got to remember that the civil rights act only became law in the USA just two years before Walt's death.

But just because it was culturally acceptable does not translate to saying that it never happened.

The Meryl Streep accusations have been debunked. They're half truths and/or complete urban legends. http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/fact-checking-meryl-streeps-disney-bashing-speech-94380.html

Herbie

Right, we are on the internet. Never let facts get in the way of a your opinion!

For the record, during the same three year period (2015-2017) in addition to the list above, Disney is releasing:
5 MCU movies
3 Star Wars movies
3 remakes
4 true sequels
2 DreamWorks partnership movies

That's a very diverse listing of movies that includes sure-fire blockbusters, smaller "singles and doubles" movies and a few risks. And considering Disney had 3 of the top 5 movies in 2015 and currently has 4 of the top 6 for 2016 with Star Wars and Moana to go, I think the strategy is working quite well.

Escape to Witch Mountain
The Apple Dumpling Gang
The Watcher in the Woods
Never Cry Wolf
Return to Oz
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken
[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsies']Newsies[/URL]
[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mighty_Ducks']The Mighty Ducks[/URL]
Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey
A Far Off Place

Hocus Pocus
Cool Runnings
Angels in the Outfield
Squanto: A Warrior's Tale
The Santa Clause
Heavyweights
Man of the House
Tom and Huck
Air Bud
101 Dalmatians
George of the Jungle
The Parent Trap
Mighty Joe Young

How far we've come.

mickEblu

If anything, it's the opposite. People remember the scary stuff the most when it comes to movies of their childhood. I mean, that's the entire basis of Disney's villain merchandising. Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal became classics because they pushed beyond the typical "Puppets are kiddy crap" barrier. Why the Large Marge scene is the most memorable part of Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

I agree. The wheelers from Return to Oz Are permanently etched in my memory banks.

yeti

That article was about their concept art forms rather than how they are depicted in the film. And given that we still have yet to see the servants in motion I think the "too creepy for kids" blah blah you are saying is rather premature. Also you know kids can grow up with a little creepy and like it right? I loved Nightmare before Christmas as a child and those designs were intentionally spooky and off putting.
That's intentionally creepy though, still pleasing to the eye at a visceral level. I think the problem of the movie is that they're not actually trying to make Lumiere et al look scary or creepy. Maybe the better word is just wrong....in a similar way as the crappy look of the animation in Robert Zemeckis's failed animation studio. The Polar Express is plenty of creepy but no one's going to remember it the way they do Labyrinth.

In any case, we'll have to see them in motion to truly judge.

Sped2424

That's intentionally creepy though, still pleasing to the eye at a visceral level. I think the problem of the movie is that they're not actually trying to make Lumiere et al look scary or creepy. Maybe the better word is just wrong....in a similar way as the crappy look of the animation in Robert Zemeckis's failed animation studio. The Polar Express is plenty of creepy but no one's going to remember it the way they do Labyrinth.

In any case, we'll have to see them in motion to truly judge.
You're thinking of the Uncanny valley.
enhanced-3669-1407527345-9.png

Which I don't think these figures are in again I think they are intentionally off putting to a degree.
tumblr_og10fqwDvK1qd4rf5o6_1280.jpg

These are far more stylized and look like again objects, and not human enough to cause alarm the way the mo cap for polar express does.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
The Meryl Streep accusations have been debunked. They're half truths and/or complete urban legends. http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/fact-checking-meryl-streeps-disney-bashing-speech-94380.html

It's best to ignore the misanthropes, rather than feed them. Facts are not weighed by their kind, they are cast aside as toy boats in their bath tubs. Granting them consideration merely encourages them to generate more caustic, baseless, vitriol which is the only source of their sadistic satisfaction.

*1023*

P.S. Excellent research and sourcing. I enjoyed that article.

Magenta Panther

So, until the civil rights act came along, people weren't civil to each other? :D

And then the twit uses a clip from Family Guy to prove his point. :rolleyes:

I've seen the other "discussions" you've had here. Clearly you live to antagonize, because you have nothing worthwhile to say. What a maroon.

Mike S

I'm sorry that's just not a conclusion I agree with. It's not clear as day. It's fan theory which does not have actual evidence. There are likely a dozen or more reasons (and likely more than one combined) which are why this may be under consideration.

Frozen was put where it was because: there was demand for a Frozen ride, there was an underperforming ride in a location that EPCOT 1982 fans will never accept but most people outside of historians don't bat an eye at.

In this case, I do not believe that Disney would be doing this to an existing successful attraction unless there was more to it. They are too cheap. I do not believe it is so Bob Iger can beat off looking at his "creation". The same people who say it's to stroke his ego are the same who say he doesn't care about the parks and will never set foot in them after his tenure is over.

It makes me sad for this site that in the past we would be dissecting this situation and talking about quite a few of the available facts that folks today just ignore so they can pile on the same sad "Iger and his franchises" bull crap which is misplaced in the first place because that criticism is applicable to the entire film industry right now - it just happens that Iger is VERY VERY good at it (which is why I think folks get irritated because he's made the Disney company a wildly successful film studio unlike the former CEO who ran it into the ground).
Let's look at upcoming projects, shall we?

Avatar based on the fact it was hugely successful at the box office, Toy Story pretty much because it's the biggest franchise Pixar has, Star Wars as the grand daddy of them all, Marvel with its hugely successful Cinematic Universe, and finally Frozen being the biggest animated movie ever. Then of course a few recent past projects like Cars Land (amazing) and New Fantasyland (ok I guess...).

Like I said, the pattern is clear as day. This isn't to say that all of these decisions are terrible though because they're all franchise based. Avatar and Star Wars both look amazing. Frozen at DL also sounds great. I'm not totally behind Marvel at DCA though. So far I'm more than fine with what we already have in IoA and what's rumored to be added to that in the future.

The reason they're doing Mission Breakout is exactly what's bolded. They are cheap. Too cheap to build a new GotG ride and they would rather go the retheme route. They also simply don't care as mobs will still flood in no matter what. I'm not solely blaming Iger either. Chapek deserves some blame too along with anyone else who was involved in the approval process of this abomination.

I've accepted that Frostrom happened but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it and I think that would accurately describe most others here too. I still say it's a very nice D Ticket in a very wrong location. It wasn't the only way to fix Maelstrom (which did need fixing) and I'll forever stand by that.

Last edited:

AEfx

Let's look at upcoming projects, shall we?

Avatar based on the fact it was hugely successful at the box office, Toy Story pretty much because it's the biggest franchise Pixar has, Star Wars as the grand daddy of them all, Marvel with its hugely successful Cinematic Universe, and finally Frozen being the biggest animated movie ever. Then of course a few recent past projects like Cars Land (amazing) and New Fantasyland (ok I guess...).

Like I said, the pattern is clear as day. This isn't to say that all of these decisions are terrible though because they're all franchise based. Avatar and Star Wars both look amazing. Frozen at DL also sounds great. I'm not totally behind Marvel at DCA though. So far I'm more than fine with what we already have in IoA and what's rumored to be added to that in the future.

The reason they're doing Mission Breakout is exactly what's bolded. They are cheap. Too cheap to build a new GotG ride and they would rather go the retheme route. They also simply don't care as mobs will still flood in no matter what. I'm not solely blaming Iger either. Chapek deserves some blame too along with anyone else who was involved in the approval process of this abomination.

I've accepted that Frostrom happened but that doesn't mean i have to agree with it and I think that would accurately describe most others here too. I still say it's a very nice D Ticket in a very wrong location. It wasn't the only way to fix Maelstrom and I'll forever stand by that.

I disagree. It's that simple. You are over simplifying everything to justify a fan projected narrative that only has use of giving fans something to rally against. If people disagree with an possible changes to ToT, they are free to feel that way. However, when they project all these conspiracy theories it just goes too far and stretches their personal credibility. I don't understand why people can't have a feeling about something and just own it, and not have to attach such baggage to everything in order to justify their opinion to themselves.

I would prefer it not change. But I can see many possibilities as to why, and a lot of possible factors, and anyone here who says they'd KNOW the one and only reason unequivocally why is delusional.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself because frankly I don't care that much about the topic to keep spending the time. We will see in a few years what happens, I'm sure like the other projects you listed it will come out great either way.

thenerdbaker

Family film though. Goal shouldn't be to terrify young children. Friends kid who i showed that pic too were terrified. Nostaglia is based on not being tramuatized by movies. Which were the faults of Henson with the Dark Crystal and Labrinyth and Disney may be doing with these live remakes. Jungle Book also had issues scaring kids.
Don't post here ever but I hate that people think kids are that sensitive. The first movie I remember as a young kid was the labyrinth. I am 29 and still love that movie. Disney movies have a history of not talking down to kids and showing the scary side of life.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Ah, good point Phil. I believe I have seen the documentary you linked to.

Quinnmac000

Don't post here ever but I hate that people think kids are that sensitive. The first movie I remember as a young kid was the labyrinth. I am 29 and still love that movie. Disney movies have a history of not talking down to kids and showing the scary side of life.

I get not all kids are sensitive. My favorite films when I was little were Gremlins, Dark Crystal, black Cauldron, and Jurassic Park. But the same kids I knew were all terrified of those films and left my house crying because it was too scary for them and to this day, I know two who are still tramatuized. However at the same time, the film Leprechaun absolutely terrified me as well and that film isn't even scary. (Ages 5-7 when I watched these). Fear is subjective and yes its okay to show a scary side of life, this film isn't the film to do it especially when the theme of the film is don't judge a book by its cover. If a kid is scared of the character design the entire film, the message is dead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom