A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Bairstow

If Uni continues on it's current trajectory and Disney continues with 'we are number one so we don't have to do anything substantial mode' it will overtake Disney within a decade.

In terms of what? Surely you don't mean revenue or attendance?

I think SWL will be a vast disappointment once the initial excitement is over 2 rides and god knows how many shops selling identical merchandise and restaurants serving identical food...

You've basically just described both Potterlands.

SorcererMC

If Uni continues on it's current trajectory and Disney continues with 'we are number one so we don't have to do anything substantial mode' it will overtake Disney within a decade.
Agreed. I think that Disney is going to learn a lesson the hard way (by losing market share) as Uni keeps improving their offerings; I think that Uni is in a more favorable position to benefit from overall market growth. While I think that DHS and AK improvements will allow Disney to maintain their leadership position, the gap is going to be smaller.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In terms of what? Surely you don't mean revenue or attendance?

You've basically just described both Potterlands.

Really - have you BEEN there at all, I don't see the offerings from the Leaky Cauldron being repeated at EVERY food venue, Nor is the merchandise in Borgin and Burke's available in every other shop on the property, Yes there is some Wizarding merchandise at EVERY store at UNI (and their MCO store) but the majority of merchandise is unique to each shop.

Quinnmac000

I mean Universal is already catching up and revealing Pandora like environments before Pandora
guNWGCj.jpg

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How are they not improving them(DHS and Epcot)?
We know they are spending Millions on TSL, SWE and some other additions at DHS, and there are multiple reports of additions coming to EPCOT.
granted all are rumored to be worked on until 50th celebration.

I also agree that Universal has raised the bar a great deal with Potter land.

I also think you are greatly under selling Avatar and SWE. I think they will once again reset the bar.

TWDC so far aside from demo has not spent squat on DHS, EPCOT is undergoing cuts even as we speak, We will see what 'Wall Street' actually allows Disney to build, Yes DL is getting a SWL, The question is will Wall St allow Disney to build one on each coast. The only project that's being worked at DHS right now is TSL and that's had major budget cuts.

I don't give a carp about what a company or person SAYS, I judge by what they DO. So far all Disney has done is given a bunch of flowery pressers on what they are GOING to do, yet only greenlighted some flat carnie rides.

Earl Sweatpants

TWDC so far aside from demo has not spent squat on DHS, EPCOT is undergoing cuts even as we speak, We will see what 'Wall Street' actually allows Disney to build, Yes DL is getting a SWL, The question is will Wall St allow Disney to build one on each coast. The only project that's being worked at DHS right now is TSL and that's had major budget cuts.

I don't give a carp about what a company or person SAYS, I judge by what they DO. So far all Disney has done is given a bunch of flowery pressers on what they are GOING to do, yet only greenlighted some flat carnie rides.
If they aren't building SWL at DHS, then what the heck did they clear ALL that land for? And start putting stuff in the ground?

Bairstow

Really - have you BEEN there at all, I don't see the offerings from the Leaky Cauldron being repeated at EVERY food venue, Nor is the merchandise in Borgin and Burke's available in every other shop on the property, Yes there is some Wizarding merchandise at EVERY store at UNI (and their MCO store) but the majority of merchandise is unique to each shop.

What? What does any of that have to do with anything?

You're trying to change the subject.
Again, do you really think that Universal will, or even could match Disney for attendance or revenue within a decade?

njDizFan

Of course. Duh. People complain when they don't ("missed opportunity"). These days, no company is going to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in a theme park attraction that isn't.

That's a separate issue as to why this project in particular is being considered.
Not to nitpick but there really only 2 companies that would invest 100s of millions of dollars on any theme park attraction. And Disney can make a choice to stem this IP infestation( Uni was always a IP park). They are choosing synergy over integrity.

I'm sorry if this isn't even what this post was about, I've lost the thread here a little

UpAllNight

Look I love Universal as much as anyone....Islands is my favourite theme park.

But Universal won't overtake Disney until they start making better movies. Because that's where Disney has the major advantage....films kids grow up with. Films people stick on repeat 5 times a day for their kids so they can have some peace and quiet (maybe that was just my childhood!)

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Universal looks impressive because they keep building "new" things. BUT those new things just replace other things. Yeah it's impressive seeing the newest technology constantly on display with new exciting movies, but there is no value placed in anything more than 5 years old at Uni. If it was Universal, the Tower of Terror would've been rethemed years ago. So would everything else. That's how Universal can open new attractions every year and still everything in both parks can be done in like a day and a half.

And Uni only gives a crap about immersive theming because Potter fans wanted to visit a movie set. Look at Transformers! It's a giant gray block in the middle of the studio section of the park. It is an ugly, ggray military bunker right in the middle of the studio section. Why the flip is King Kong in Jurassic Park? Potter theming looks impressive till you ride Dragon Challenge and suddenly your just in a random backstage area as you flip around. People praise them so much, but they didn't even have the decency to add a quidtich banner I something to the ride itself.

Disney will always be better because they go for timeless. Already no one cares about the Transformers movies anymore. Who really is going to remember Fast and the furious 8 in 10-20 years? Think Despicable Me and the minions will be remembered once the current generation of kids outgrow them? Dont forget about the timelessness of Brandon Frasiers Mummy movies! the Mummy ride they replaced Uni's signature attraction with is stop there!

Uni has some very impressive rides and Islands of Adventure is like 80% to being incredible. But they are always going to be the Sega to Disney's Nintendo because all Uni cares about is what's popular now. Disney has a ton of problems right now and I worry that decisions being made will make it worse, not better, but Disney is still streets ahead of Uni.

Uni was going to turn the ET ride into Smurfs until Smurfs 2 bombed the box office. that should tell you everything you need to know about their priorites aand why Disney will always win in the end.

Quinnmac000

Look I love Universal as much as anyone....Islands is my favourite theme park.

But Universal won't overtake Disney until they start making better movies. Because that's where Disney has the major advantage....films kids grow up with. Films people stick on repeat 5 times a day for their kids so they can have some peace and quiet (maybe that was just my childhood!)

With Universal owning Dreamworks with their 500 IPs (they own Veggietales, as well as a lot of old school cartoon plus the modern new stuff they put out) plus Universal's having the entire Seuss Catalog for films and everything that Illumination puts out plus they have an ancillary rights which include theme parks for every single G-kids film plus a lot of kid friendly anime shows. I'm sure that won't be a problem.

You also have to count all the other kid IPs Universal personally owns due to Speilberg ( Land before time and a few others).

Now add Nintendo which perhaps in the most nostalgic company in the past 20 years thanks to Mario, DK, and Pokemon joining forces with Universal. They are in a strong spot. Not strong enough to compete against Star Wars but pretty dang strong overall.

UpAllNight

With Universal owning Dreamworks with their 500 IPs (they own Veggietales, as well as a lot of old school cartoon plus the modern new stuff they put out) plus Universal's having the entire Seuss Catalog for films and everything that Illumination puts out plus they have an ancillary rights which include theme parks for every single G-kids film plus a lot of kid friendly anime shows. I'm sure that won't be a problem.

You also have to count all the other kid IPs Universal personally owns due to Speilberg ( Land before time and a few others)

Thinking of recent Dreamwork and Illumination IP then my point still stands. I'm maybe not so familiar with the older/classic films

Shrek and Despicable Me come closest but I define both of those franchises as 1 good film (arguably 2 with Shrek) and a series of cash in letdowns since. Not denying they don't have a big following but do either evoke such nostalgia?

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
More like he's off to the side of Jurassic Park. Plus both are Dinosaur Movies.

Then i guess it's in its own mini land between Jurassic Park and Toon Lagoon? Well, in that case shouldn't we complain that the Skull Island area only has one ride?

And sure they both have dinos, but Skull Island and Jurassic Park are still not the same place at all.

The theming inside the ride and queue itself is good, but it doesn't fit really. Like the Mummy ride and the Transformer ride and the Simpson's ride and despicable me.

Quinnmac000

Thinking of recent Dreamwork and Illumination IP then my point still stands. I'm maybe not so familiar with the older/classic films

Shrek and Despicable Me come closest but I define both of those franchises as 1 good film (arguably 2 with Shrek) and a series of cash in letdowns since. Not denying they don't have a big following but do either evoke such nostalgia?

Shrek, Despicable Me, Home, How To Train Your Dragon, and you can't forget Universal can work their magic with Wicked which is overly popular despite being around for now 15 years with no movie or tv show based on it yet. Shrek I still hear donkey's quote "in the morning I'm making waffles", and I'm like an onion I have layers. Despicable Me strikes nostalgia everyone sees Minions which won't ever go away. Dreamworks 100% owns Trolls now which I loved and hated those as kids add in the movies nostalgia will be in full gear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom