A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

the.dreamfinder

Family film though. Goal shouldn't be to terrify young children. Friends kid who i showed that pic too were terrified. Nostaglia is based on not being tramuatized by movies. Which were the faults of Henson with the Dark Crystal and Labrinyth and Disney may be doing with these live remakes. Jungle Book also had issues scaring kids.
And movie theaters had to reupholster seats during Snow White's theatrical run because kids peed themselves because of the scary bits in the film. This isn't a new issue.

Bairstow

I think this is genius. They were people who were CURSED into being objects. Imo for a live action film it shouldn't look cute or cuddley but again something that reflects these are people who shouldn't be objects.

Yeah, I'm down with this take on the servants/objects design.
Their appearance should look painful because this builds dramatic tension- kids will want to see them released from this existence and restored to their human forms.

Image.ashx

Brer Oswald

It's a subject that comes up on a semi-regular basis, so I felt obliged I guess. Similarly, I keep seeing so-called 'news'-type articles that distort company history or economic history....and then it gets repeated and accepted as fact. It's been a pet peeve of mine for the past few days.

Also, I've learned so much about TWDC, WDW, etc. from reading these boards over the years. It's a great resource and so many knowledgeable posters b/c they work in related fields or track the issues as a hobby. If you don't know the answer to something, there is usually someone here who does or who can tell you where to look.

ETA: and then there are the trolls....
I know what you mean, those 'news' articles drive me insane.

Cletus

Who cares if some kid gets frightened? I'm sick of this obsession with catering to the blessed and untouchable children of the world. Take them to see Moana or something if you want them to stay coddled.

And we should give them a trophy if they survive the film! :confused:

AEfx

Except for the people who actually know anything about Walt Disney. Judging him based on today's standards, while everyone else in the 1900s is excused, is incredibly pathetic. Only an illogical, uninformed person would do that.

Uh where have you been? We live in an age when attempting to kiss someone without a signed affidavit first is "assault", not called "making a pass" as it always was.

Times are a changin'.

Cletus

Uh where have you been? We live in an age when attempting to kiss someone without a signed affidavit first is "assault", not called "making a pass" as it always was.

Times are a changin'.

And then you are the Republican candidate for POTUS.

Times are more than "changin". Not trying to steer this off course, but you did put that on a tee. :D

AEfx

My overall point is that I don't think it would matter. The ride is clearly based on the 60's TV show and doesn't feature any of those things. Whatever oversensitive baby would think "the new show is too mature for Disney to have a ride themed to the old show!!!" needs their head examined and is not someone I would care to meet, just like the people who think "Zootopia Mountain" is a good idea because Song of the South is "racist." Damn Snowflakes need to grow a pair. This is the park that has featured Alien in its star attraction since day 1 after all.

Tiny rant over.

This is one of those things that I think people are letting their personal political thoughts obscure rational thought. I said nothing about "special snowflakes" or people being offended. It makes a great "yeah man!" rant but wasn't what I was talking about at all.

Mike S

This is one of those things that I think people are letting their personal political thoughts obscure rational thought. I said nothing about "special snowflakes" or people being offended. It makes a great "yeah man!" rant but wasn't what I was talking about at all.
You did imply that Disney would want to distance themselves from the new "edgy" Twilight Zone. Why else would that be if not to avoid offense?

The writing on the wall is clear as day that their goal is putting as many successful franchise based attractions in the parks as they can, placement be damned in some cases like Frostrom and GotG: MB!

AEfx

The writing on the wall is clear as day that their goal is putting as many successful franchise based attractions in the parks as they can, placement be damned in some cases like Frostrom and GotG: MB!

I'm sorry that's just not a conclusion I agree with. It's not clear as day. It's fan theory which does not have actual evidence. There are likely a dozen or more reasons (and likely more than one combined) which are why this may be under consideration.

Frozen was put where it was because: there was demand for a Frozen ride, there was an underperforming ride in a location that EPCOT 1982 fans will never accept but most people outside of historians don't bat an eye at.

In this case, I do not believe that Disney would be doing this to an existing successful attraction unless there was more to it. They are too cheap. The same people who say it's to stroke his ego are the same who say he doesn't care about the parks and will never set foot in them after his tenure is over.

It makes me sad for this site that in the past we would be dissecting this situation and talking about quite a few of the available facts that folks today just ignore so they can pile on the same sad "Iger and his franchises" bull crap which is misplaced in the first place because that criticism is applicable to the entire film industry right now - it just happens that Iger is VERY VERY good at it (which is why I think folks get irritated because he's made the Disney company a wildly successful film studio unlike the former CEO who ran it into the ground).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom