A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Ariel1986

Ye be warned. Heading to an Epcot resort soon? Might want to be prepared to demand a move.

"Due to preparations for upcoming offerings at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, there may be noise impacts in the Epcot resort area during the late night hours June 5-9.

For Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Hotels, this message is only intended for informational purposes."

Strange it had those dates as they've already started this- I was woken up at the Beach Club at 2.30am(!) on Wednesday morning (1st) by a VERY loud score run through & repeated replays of many few-seconds-at-a-time segments, of what I assume is the new Star Wars show soundtrack. It went on for at least an hour, I couldn't believe how loud it was! Being half asleep and not knowing straight away what it was I thought I was going mad! And there was no prior warning to my knowledge...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Very troubled if this is any indication.
http://makingstarwars.net/2016/06/how-extensive-will-the-rogue-one-reshoots-be/

Additionally, a user on Reddit claiming to be a crewmember upset about the retooling has elaborated that much of the reshoots are the result of Disney feeling like the film is too dark and scary for kids and that much of the reshoots are focused around toning down certain action sequences
such as a "Storming the Beaches of Normandy in Saving Private Ryan" style Rebels vs Empire ground battle and a sequence where Darth Vader picks off a group of rebels one by one like an 80s slasher flick.

Translation StarWars now needs to be non threatening to a fearful toddler instead of being a action and adventure franchise it's now all about selling toys to the under 8 set. Geez and I thought Disney would have taken at least till 2020 to perform a value suck out of the Star Wars Franchise....

ThemeParkJunkee

Translation StarWars now needs to be non threatening to a fearful toddler instead of being a action and adventure franchise it's now all about selling toys to the under 8 set. Geez and I thought Disney would have taken at least till 2020 to perform a value suck out of the Star Wars Franchise....

kind of liking but not ready to like but sort of "like"

theRIOT

Also these 'live action' remakes may poison the well for future management teams, Iger has not heard of leaving gas in the tank for his successor.

I just wonder how long will we have to wait for this to come full circle?
You know ...
when Disney announces an all-new animated feature based on the live-action remake of a beloved classic Disney animated feature.
See it soon before it goes back in the Disney Vault!

Sped2424

So ... Rogue One ... may be the one that isn't all that. Interesting. I rather enjoyed the trailer and sorta like the idea of a story in the SW UNIverse that isn't the same main storyline. But one month of reshoots tells you that it is plenty troubled ... or that Iger thinks it is.

And you gotta love the glee fanbois are taking in Alice's poor showing ... it's almost like they know it's OK to dislike this one, that this doesn't matter as much to Iger and the Co as ... Civil War or Zootopia ... or certainly Rogue One. I haven't seen it yet, but friends who have all enjoyed it. But they, like I, are fans of Depp and Burton and Co ...
But the Alice situation is interesting as the film's box office more less states people didn't dig that sequel as much as the billion dollar first film suggested to Disney that they would. So where does that leave that new Alice Maze in Shanghai given it just opened yet the franchise it's based off has just died in a really major way? Also does this kill the Alice expansion that was planned for Shanghai? And is Tokyo going to go with an Eticket based off the animated film now rather than copying the live action one that was headed to Shanghai? Even more interesting if Alice's sequel proves that a billion dollar film can have a floptastic sequel how is James Cameron and the linked Avatarland feeling right about now? That last one was a tease as I know Avatarland shall be great regardless of IP but even so is Iger and the BOD worried about stagnant merch or interest for that land? I would be.

GiveMeTheMusic

But the Alice situation is interesting as the film's box office more less states people didn't dig that sequel as much as the billion dollar first film suggested to Disney that they would. So where does that leave that new Alice Maze in Shanghai given it just opened yet the franchise it's based off has just died in a really major way? Also does this kill the Alice expansion that was planned for Shanghai? And is Tokyo going to go with an Eticket based off the animated film now rather than copying the live action one that was headed to Shanghai? Even more interesting if Alice's sequel proves that a billion dollar film can have a floptastic sequel how is James Cameron and the linked Avatarland feeling right about now? That last one was a tease as I know Avatarland shall be great regardless of IP but even so is Iger and the BOD worried about stagnant merch or interest for that land? I would be.

China's grosses for Alice were healthy, so there's no reason Disney shouldn't move ahead with their new ride.

The issue, I think, with Alice in the US is that no one asked for a sequel. Sure the first movie made a bunch of money, but years later, there was no public outcry for more. The new film is perfectly enjoyable, but to capture an audience it needed to be flat out amazing.

Sped2424

China's grosses for Alice were healthy, so there's no reason Disney shouldn't move ahead with their new ride.

The issue, I think, with Alice in the US is that no one asked for a sequel. Sure the first movie made a bunch of money, but years later, there was no public outcry for more. The new film is perfectly enjoyable, but to capture an audience it needed to be flat out amazing.
26 million opening weekend is not healthy for China and it's likely going to take a nosedive whenever apocalypse comes out this weekend over there. At the end of it's run Alice isn't being projected to reach the top 10 films of 2016 in China. I don't think this film is doing anything stellar there to warrant further investment for it in Shanghai.

Nmoody1

You might want to share your views, as a Disney nut, with the OC Register when you are there. ... I didn't see the video in question as I am staying away from all videos except flyovers of the park that show partially completed lands that no one is talking about or reporting on!

I've tried to steer clear of attraction videos, this was just of a group of people in what I assume was an outdoor line pushing people and shouting when Soaring went down and they were offering what I guess was return tickets for later or another attraction. It was chaos!

I'll try to do some digging around... it reminds me of the toilets of terror from DSP which sat there for years before the ride opened... due to the lack of attractions vs. The people expected to visit, (and the fact that it's a done deal) we won't be waiting that long... its a poor attempt for a Magic Kingdom park though... and I am surprised that both HK and Shanghai are letting it happen. I know HK'S rumoured exclusivity is almost up, but I'm surprised Shanghai is taking clones - especially from the park down the road.

As the OC register are looking for Americans, count me out being British.... I can tell them why there is no Haunted Mansion though! :)

BrerJon

Thanks - although I'm Canadian.

I'd love to share some insight like 'hmm, where'd that 800 million dollars go?'

stock-photo-international-money-stuffed-in-suit-jacket-s-pocket-32805244.jpg

RSoxNo1

So ... Rogue One ... may be the one that isn't all that. Interesting. I rather enjoyed the trailer and sorta like the idea of a story in the SW UNIverse that isn't the same main storyline. But one month of reshoots tells you that it is plenty troubled ... or that Iger thinks it is.

And you gotta love the glee fanbois are taking in Alice's poor showing ... it's almost like they know it's OK to dislike this one, that this doesn't matter as much to Iger and the Co as ... Civil War or Zootopia ... or certainly Rogue One. I haven't seen it yet, but friends who have all enjoyed it. But they, like I, are fans of Depp and Burton and Co ...
I rarely cheer for a movie to fail, but I'm so sick of Tim Burton's crap fests that I'm not exactly sad this isn't doing well. Now hopefully some of the live action remakes don't do well and we can put an end to that nonsense. Is it too much to ask for an original concept?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom