A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Witchy Chick

If you know anything about Star Wars then you know that merchandising concerns have impacted creative decisions taken during production of the films for decades. You act like Disney are ruining the franchise when if you removed your tin foil hat for just a moment and looked back at how these films were made, you would find that George "didn't see any value in dead Han Solo action figures" Lucas was worrying about toy sales long before Disney ever got their hands on Star Wars.

For what it's worth I know someone with some first-hand knowledge of the production who told me that the situation is nowhere near as dramatic as is being claimed in some quarters. And concerns over toy sales have played no part in what is going on.

Yes. Another example -- Ewoks/Endor rather than Wookies/Kashyykk. Ewoks. Blech.

FigmentJedi

Yes. Another example -- Ewoks/Endor rather than Wookies/Kashyykk. Ewoks. Blech.
Mix of merchandising concerns, budget, and George feeling like Chewbacca's well-established mechanical talents stripped the old "Wookies stop the Empire" plan of the "primitive culture curbstomps an technologically advanced army" symbolism he had in mind in those old drafts.

People complain about the Ewoks too damn much. Yeah, they're teddy bears, but they're teddy bears that are scarily ingenious with their stone-age technology and they love the taste of human flesh.

Soarin' Over Pgh

[COUNTDOWN=][/COUNTDOWN]
Mix of merchandising concerns, budget, and George feeling like Chewbacca's well-established mechanical talents stripped the old "Wookies stop the Empire" plan of the "primitive culture curbstomps an technologically advanced army" symbolism he had in mind in those old drafts.

People complain about the Ewoks too damn much. Yeah, they're teddy bears, but they're teddy bears that are scarily ingenious with their stone-age technology and they love the taste of human flesh.

Actually that's the exact reason why I absolutely LOVE me some Ewoks.

Pam Hates Penguins

First Cars 3 details
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...e-cars-3-new-character-cruz-ramirez/84981778/

tumblr_o80gtbyj4V1svz1gko1_1280.jpg

Looking forward to this movie. I love how this movie will be more American based.

culturenthrills

Good or bad, it was just stupid to release Alice on Memorial Day weekend against Xmen. It should have been released during a slower time of year like the first one. It probably would have at least made a little bit more money. And what is up with this crazy scheduling. There is only 2 weeks between Finding Dory and The BFG. We are all assuming Finding Dory will do good but Disney could end up hurting The BFG if Finding Dory becomes a juggernaut. If anything this year has shown you can spread out the blockbusters to different times of the year now. You don't need to shove almost every movie out during the summer. Alice, KFP3, Xmen, BvS and now TMNT 2 have underperformed. It hasn't been a good year for many blockbuster sequels.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Good or bad, it was just stupid to release Alice on Memorial Day weekend against Xmen. It should have been released during a slower time of year like the first one. It probably would have at least made a little bit more money. And what is up with this crazy scheduling. There is only 2 weeks between Finding Dory and The BFG. We are all assuming Finding Dory will do good but Disney could end up hurting The BFG if Finding Dory becomes a juggernaut. If anything this year has shown you can spread out the blockbusters to different times of the year now. You don't need to shove almost every movie out during the summer. Alice, KFP3, Xmen, BvS and now TMNT 2 have underperformed. It hasn't been a good year for many blockbuster sequels.

Disney has too many movies this year. Are the good time slots are taken. Lol.

the.dreamfinder

WDI President Bob Weis on Muhammad Ali
Muhammad Ali --I had the honor of working on the Ali Center in Louisville in the formative stages.
https://twitter.com/BobWeis/status/739024636508135428
I was in a charrette for the Muhammad Ali Center in Louisville. Someone came in and told us two planes had hit the World Trade Center.
https://twitter.com/BobWeis/status/739025377952038912
Stayed two days in Louisville with airport closed. Eventually I rented a car, drove home listening to 9-11 reporting on NPR the whole way.
https://twitter.com/BobWeis/status/739027468992970752
Project was delayed by anti-Muslim sentiment post 9-11. We should remember greatness like Ali's isn't defined by religion. Great is great.
https://twitter.com/BobWeis/status/739028607104733184
I even had brilliant artist friends at the time who could not work because they looked middle eastern. Let's not let that happen again.
https://twitter.com/BobWeis/status/739029552391819264
Ali will always sting like a bee, and may he also always fly like that graceful butterfly.
https://twitter.com/BobWeis/status/739030083185168386

tribbleorlfl

Translation StarWars now needs to be non threatening to a fearful toddler instead of being a action and adventure franchise it's now all about selling toys to the under 8 set. Geez and I thought Disney would have taken at least till 2020 to perform a value suck out of the Star Wars Franchise....
That's all SW ever has been.

flynnibus

Premium Member
tumblr_o85ui3rf491s0c4z4o1_1280.jpg

Looks like Tiana is finally getting her Place, albeit on the Disney Wonder Cruise ship but it's a start. Seriously how does this not translate to a location somewhere in the parks? Live Jazz acts, Southern Food, great atmosphere, and tied into PATF. I just don't get Disney sleeping on this concept when it comes to the parks.

They did this kind of live music, characters, etc in Disneyland in NOS and the riverboat sometime back...

flynnibus

Premium Member
our first on property trip a moderate for a week was 1800 total. with dining plan second trip with 8 days (granted only 5 for disney sans universal) was about 2200 again with dining.

With APs?

Even with a rock bottom price of 200 a night for a mod... 7x200 = 1400 and you said 'our' inferring at least two people... So you were getting 7 day tickets for less than $200 each and had no incidentals at all?

This post could be true, but is disengenuous to the conversation at hand because it's not representative of the norm

seabreezept813

I always laugh at that.
Remember how funny it was how she boasted of being in mommy's panels giveaway parties, yet her "blog" and video pages hardly had more than 100 views (and thats after someone posted the link on this forum a few years ago).
I still do not get how Disney wastes so much money on this group and just hire an actor/mother to do the recommendations.
Serious question about the moms. Is it rigged? I know Disney has an application process or whatever, but where do you think they find these people?

seabreezept813

No, Tomorrowland wasn't a good film. It was potentially a good concept for a film but what they wound up with was lousy.
I really enjoyed the beginning of the film.. but it progressively became stranger and stranger. So I didn't love it, but as a scifi fan did enjoy its unique approach.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom