A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

Mike S

So ... Rogue One ... may be the one that isn't all that. Interesting. I rather enjoyed the trailer and sorta like the idea of a story in the SW UNIverse that isn't the same main storyline. But one month of reshoots tells you that it is plenty troubled ... or that Iger thinks it is.

And you gotta love the glee fanbois are taking in Alice's poor showing ... it's almost like they know it's OK to dislike this one, that this doesn't matter as much to Iger and the Co as ... Civil War or Zootopia ... or certainly Rogue One. I haven't seen it yet, but friends who have all enjoyed it. But they, like I, are fans of Depp and Burton and Co ...
I'm a fan of Depp and Burton but this movie was just all over the place. This helps explain it.
http://whatculture.com/film/alice-through-the-looking-glass-10-reasons-its-worse-than-the-original

FigmentJedi

So ... Rogue One ... may be the one that isn't all that. Interesting. I rather enjoyed the trailer and sorta like the idea of a story in the SW UNIverse that isn't the same main storyline. But one month of reshoots tells you that it is plenty troubled ... or that Iger thinks it is.

And you gotta love the glee fanbois are taking in Alice's poor showing ... it's almost like they know it's OK to dislike this one, that this doesn't matter as much to Iger and the Co as ... Civil War or Zootopia ... or certainly Rogue One. I haven't seen it yet, but friends who have all enjoyed it. But they, like I, are fans of Depp and Burton and Co ...
Very troubled if this is any indication.
http://makingstarwars.net/2016/06/how-extensive-will-the-rogue-one-reshoots-be/

Since the weekend, there was a lot of dust kicked up on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. By late Sunday night, the news began to hit the gossip sites and the trades alike. I reached out to several sources to find out exactly what was going on with Rogue One. When I asked a few crew members what was being reshot they laughed and said “everything.” Of course they were kidding but from the sound of it, the shooting will be extensive.

Here are the common themes in what people behind the scenes are saying:

• Some crew initially heard J.J. Abrams was supervising the reshoots.
  • Gareth Edwards is doing the reshoots himself but with a partner, Christopher McQuarrie.
  • Christopher McQuarrie, the final writer on Rogue One will be working extensively with Edwards onset to make sure they’re on the “same page” with the most recent draft of the film.
  • Christopher McQuarrie’s draft of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was considered superior to the film they shot previously.
  • It was not Edwards’ fault as McQuarrie’s draft wasn’t completed when much of the film was shot and revisions kept coming in that made the film feel uneven.
  • 32 sets have been recreated for the reshoot.
  • The crew expects they are reshooting 40% of the film.
  • They are working 6 days a week for 8 weeks.
Additionally, a user on Reddit claiming to be a crewmember upset about the retooling has elaborated that much of the reshoots are the result of Disney feeling like the film is too dark and scary for kids and that much of the reshoots are focused around toning down certain action sequences
such as a "Storming the Beaches of Normandy in Saving Private Ryan" style Rebels vs Empire ground battle and a sequence where Darth Vader picks off a group of rebels one by one like an 80s slasher flick.

the.dreamfinder

Additionally, a user on Reddit claiming to be a crewmember upset about the retooling has elaborated that much of the reshoots are the result of Disney feeling like the film is too dark and scary for kids and that much of the reshoots are focused around toning down certain action sequences
such as a "Storming the Beaches of Normandy in Saving Private Ryan" style Rebels vs Empire ground battle and a sequence where Darth Vader picks off a group of rebels one by one like an 80s slasher flick.
There's a critical bit from that article you left out.
When the movie began filming there was a lot of talk that the budget had been greatly reduced slightly before shooting meaning more CGI would be needed. Now it looks like the movie is going to cost what it was supposed to cost from the start. The quality of the film wasn’t bad, it just needs to be better and all involved are happy to make that happen.

Jones14

I was given a brief overview of Vader's, ahem, interaction with some of the Rebels, and based on what I was told, I could easily see Disney wanting to tone it down, which, to be fair, might not be a bad thing, if a few of the things I was told were happening made it through. One that comes to mind was an onscreen beheading by way of lightsaber, which, while incredibly cool, would break Star Wars' tradition of implying more gruesome endings rather than showing them (younglings, anyone?).

Last edited:

matt9112

A trip to disney if not staying on property is not crazy.... 4 days in the parks the tickets are $1300.00. Expensive but that is for 4 days in the park which is a lot..... Now I am not saying it is cheap but for a once every 5 year trip it really is not bad... I have friends that do disney every year for under 2500.00

our first on property trip a moderate for a week was 1800 total. with dining plan second trip with 8 days (granted only 5 for disney sans universal) was about 2200 again with dining.

wogwog

Ye be warned. Heading to an Epcot resort soon? Might want to be prepared to demand a move.

"Due to preparations for upcoming offerings at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, there may be noise impacts in the Epcot resort area during the late night hours June 5-9.

For Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Hotels, this message is only intended for informational purposes."

Mike S

So much for Disney not meddling with LucasFilm :rolleyes:
Oh, but it's not. It was solid when I bought it and washed it a couple times and flaked right off.
As you can see, my shirt is nearly identical to the pic I found online. Plus I'm sure that picture I found was taken in the gift shop. The price tag is a dead giveaway.
image.jpeg

image-jpeg.144108

The flaked look is the design.

Last edited:

Quinnmac000

According to Making Star Wars (a definitive source for updates concerning the modern films), the Rogue One crew estimates that they are reshooting roughly 40 percent of the movie. They will be working six days a week for a period of eight weeks, and 32 sets have been built for this phase of the production. It was always expected there would be reshoots, it’s just that they now might be more substantial than originally thought.
http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-reshoots-details-mcquarrie/

Dang Kathleen and Co must really have hated the film on another level.

MerlinTheGoat

I was given a brief overview of Vader's, ahem, interaction with some of the Rebels, and based on what I was told, I could easily see Disney wanting to tone it down, which, to be fair, might not be a bad thing, if a few of the things I was told were happening made it through. One that comes to mind was an onscreen beheading by way of lightsaber, which, while incredibly cool, would break Star Wars' tradition of implying more gruesome endings rather than showing them (younglings, anyone?).
Beheadings are hardly a new thing to Star Wars.

Darth Maul got cut in half at the waist (they did retcon his death so he survived and has returned in Clone Wars and Rebels, but the canon back then was that he died gruesomely). Jango Fett lost his head, as did Count Dooku.

Jones14

Beheadings are hardly a new thing to Star Wars.

Darth Maul got cut in half at the waist (they did retcon his death so he survived and has returned in Clone Wars and Rebels, but the canon back then was that he died gruesomely). Jango Fett lost his head, as did Count Dooku.

I think the key difference here was that with the exception of Jango, you didn't actually see the detachment of the head from the body (or upper half from lower) because of the camera angle. Jango's death had a sense of removal from it because he was wearing a helmet, so you didn't watch a "person" get beheaded so much as you saw armor get ripped apart (I know, everyone knows there's a person in there, but it still has a different impact). Also, there's the consideration that we'd be watching the good guys get beheaded rather than the other way around, and Disney and/or Lucasfilm might not want audiences to see the life leave a rebel's eyes as his/her head topples to the ground.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom