A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

baymenxpac

I'm pretty sure Iger intends to head straight to Washington once he retires from TWDC.

oh good. i had grown a little politically stagnant. if he does, i'll donate, knock on doors, pretty much anything to make sure that man doesn't get elected to anything.

i love that disney PR (which, from top to bottom, makes me ashamed to work in public relations) decided to point to the star wars expansion as creating "thousands of new jobs across multiple sectors," as fortune put it. oh really? so, when they close an attraction, do they report that as jobs they downsized? when they shutter live entertainment in favor of a DVC kiosk or a pin stand, i assume that's just the marketing correcting their employment levels, or whatever corporate drivel they use to mangle the english language.

seriously, disney's response to an extremely fair critique by senator sanders made my skin crawl. this used to be a company with heart. now, it's a cold, soul-less corporation as determined to make a profit at the sacrifice of the public good and their employees' livelihoods as monsanto or enron or any other vile corporation past, present, or future. and it's been that way for a while.

anyone who doesn't see it needs to whip the frosting from their $69 cupcakes out of their eyes.

Mike S

Remember when we were all celebrating Eisner being replaced with Iger? That was fun. Then reality set in.
image.jpeg

tribbleorlfl

What do we get? Cupcake and a hanky for $125?

**** Apologies, thought this was an Upcharge by Iger Production^TM

I usually need more than a hanky to clean up after I eat a cupcake.

Anyways, $150 for a 4 day pass.
And worth every penny for a SW fan. Between the pannels, exhibits, vendor exclusives (which I flipped to finance the whole cost of the con) and autograph guests, it doesn't get much better. A non-SW fan can still have a good time, but probably would be fine with just a one day pass.

FYI, Celebration is put on by an independent exhibitor and not LFL/Disney. Pricing is consistent with other top-tier cons.

We had a BLAST at CV and CVI, and I already bought my tickets for next year. Planning on trooping at this one.

PhotoDave219

And worth every penny for a SW fan. Between the pannels, exhibits, vendor exclusives (which I flipped to finance the whole cost of the con) and autograph guests, it doesn't get much better. A non-SW fan can still have a good time, but probably would be fine with just a one day pass.

FYI, Celebration is put on by an independent exhibitor and not LFL/Disney. Pricing is consistent with other top-tier cons.

We had a BLAST at CV and CVI, and I already bought my tickets for next year. Planning on trooping at this one.

I have my ticket, yes. First time ever going to something like this....

lebeau

Chinese Billionaire Takes On Disney With His Own Theme Parks

DAVID GREENE, HOST:

Next month, Disney will open a $5 billion theme park in Shanghai. But a Chinese billionaire says his parks will leave Disney in the dust. NPR's Anthony Kuhn reports from Beijing.

ANTHONY KUHN, BYLINE: Fourteen years ago, Wang Jianlin and his company Wanda began building huge developments, complete with apartments, shopping malls and cinemas in cities across China. But China's real estate market has been cooling, so Wang is planning to build dozens of theme parks to take on Disney nationwide.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

WANG JIANLIN: (Speaking in Chinese)

KUHN: "We will make Disney unprofitable in China within the next decade or two," Wang predicted in an interview on Chinese state television on Sunday. Wang says he's betting the Chinese cultural themes at his parks will outdraw Mickey Mouse and Snow White, that Shanghai's weather is too rainy in summer and cold in winter for Disney's outdoor attractions and that Disney's building costs will result in tickets that are too pricey for local customers.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

WANG JIANLIN: (Speaking in Chinese)

KUHN: "Disney really shouldn't have come to China," Wang said drawing applause from the studio audience. "Our strategy is based on the saying, one tiger is no match for a pack of wolves." Wang Jianlin is a 61-year-old Communist Party member with a fortune estimated at $31.5 billion. He spent some of those billions to purchase AMC's movie theater chain and Hollywood studio Legendary Entertainment.

His ambitions dovetail with China's policies to build up its media and entertainment companies in order to portray China in a favorable light. He plans to do this with blockbusters such as Great Wall, a 3D action flick starring Matt Damon and Hong Kong actor Any Lau. With a budget of $135 million, it'll be the most expensive movie ever shot entirely in China. Anthony Kuhn, NPR News, Beijing.

Nickels5

I'm not sure if you've picked the right forum to discuss attendance and financial numbers.....
Damn dude I got you responding to everything I say lol, he made a comment making it seem like universal was seeing some huge growth I just simply let him know that wasn't the case. Calm down Francis

rael ramone

Any week when Bob "The Weatherman" Iger is getting poked from presidential candidates in the USA and being bullied by Chinese billionaires (backed by the Chinese government) is a Spirited week.

I love it when people get what's coming to them.

I wonder what upsets him more, being called out by The Bern for the existence of Igervilles, of the fact that he didn't offer him praise about how the film division is really delivering shareholder value...

flynnibus

Premium Member

flynnibus

Premium Member
This article is wonderful... I would remind however, that this current culture of low paid employees and high ranking people in suits getting paid too much is not a Disney problem.. It's a capitalist one. The flaw in a capitalist society that wasn't fully born yet when Disneyland started.

If you want to change the culture, you need to change the country.

It's not a society born problem.. but one of politics. The reason people weren't paid crazy amounts back then was because it was fruitless to do so.. the tax system was the cap on the bottle.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Iger created zilch. The Walt Disney Company created zilch.

You, the paying customer, created those jobs!

I'm having a hard time with Bob's numbers. Are those hires, or new jobs? I'm feeling like many of those are hirings to refill jobs they lost people through attrition. Disneyland hires thousands.. that doesn't mean their payroll grew in heads.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom