4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

John park hopper

There are no more bedspreads at Disney resorts. Pillows and runners are not changed.
Was @ CBR in May can't remember if there was a blanket in place of a bed spread, is the blanket washed between guests. My own Golden tries to get on the bed which she is not allowed. In room dogs left alone will be all over. I am a dog lover but would not bring her to WDW.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Even at the resorts that allow dogs I don't believe they are allowed in lobbies or other common areas.
If you go back a few pages someone posted the actual waiver from Disney. Dogs are allowed in the lobby, shops and all resort paths they are not allowed in food or pool areas.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's not what the rules sheet posted on this site says.
I pointed that out at the time this was posted. It’s changing on the fly.

Latest update from PortOrleans.org....

A copy of the waiver document which guests need to sign when they check dogs in to the hotel is available at: http://www.portorleans.org/Disney's-Port-Orleans-Resort-Riverside_Pet-Agreement_13-Oct-2017.pdf

A few interesting new bits of information:

So far, the room assignment department at Port Orleans Riverside has not been given any specific directions from Walt Disney World management to indicate that they must enforce the accommodation of all dogs in building 24 only, so they are still expecting that existing booking for other room categories will be assigned to one of the original four dog-friendly areas (buildings 15, 24, 80 and 95 on the map) although building 24 will definitely be the preferred choice wherever possible. For example, if a guest had booked a Royal River View Room room six months ago, and they now state that they wish to bring a dog with them, they will be assigned a room in building 95 close to the originally marked Dog Relief area on the Dog Friendly Locations map. Similarly, someone who originally booked a Preferred Location room would be placed in building 15.

Any guest who has expressed a wish to be located away from dogs will be assigned a room as far away as possible from those original four designated areas.

As far as common areas go, at the moment dogs will be permitted - under control and on leashes - in all common areas of the resort except for Food & Beverage locations (such as Boatwright's Dining Hall, the food court and presumably the River Roost Lounge) and the fenced pool areas. The lobby and even merchandise shop are fine, as are all the public pathways. This policy is covered by the wording in point 12 of the waiver document.

The maximum seven hour 'alone-time' rule will be mostly left to guests' honesty, but in cases where there is concern the electronic door-lock system can be interrogated remotely to prove how long a room has been left unattended. Similarly, Disney are aware that there may be situations where the required 30-minute return time to attend to a barking dog may potentially be difficult to enforce when guests are away from the hotel.

21stamps

Mark Buehrle retired in 2015, as a Blue Jay. He found his three years in Toronto to be “draining” without his family. Ontario also has a pit bull ban, so Mark left his family and family pet in Florida, where pit bulls are completely legal.

Bananas and eggplants are both technically fruits; nonetheless, only one of those is joining my peanut butter in a sandwich for lunch today.

This is not true for all of Florida.

Minnesota disney fan

I think a lot of the issue boils down to the anxiety of the possibility. Vacations only last a week, but the anticipation is a lot of the fun. If staying in a dog-friendly hotel makes you anxious for any reason, it only makes sense that you would want to change your plans.
But the issue is more complicated if you are passionate about a hotel, like many people are about POR. Do you ‘risk’ the possibility, deal with the anxiety, and keep your reservation? Or do you change hotels?
This anxiety isn’t necessarily rational, but it happens. And I think it’s reasonable that people don’t want to deal with it when they’re paying 2 grand per person for a week’s vacation.

This. Exactly! We are already booked at POR before this test policy came along. I feel betrayed and upset. I am going through all the things you mentioned. We absolutely love POR, but are contemplating going to a different nondog resort. It is not as easy as, "just go to the other 20 resorts", as some make it out to be. It is your vacation which costs thousands of dollars, so you want to stay where you love to be, and it doesn't matter what the reason is. If you want to be there, that should be it. No need to quantify why you do.
Now WDW has added the dog situation into the mix. So, we don't know what we will do. POR has been a wonderful fixture of our vacations for years with many wonderful memories with the kids/ grandkids. Can't quantify that!
I can only hope that this trial doesn't fly and goes away!

Chernaboggles

I am also from the UK, so I'm not sure on US dog ownership rules, but as far as I know, there are no such restrictions.

The USA does not have any country-wide laws about dangerous dogs or dog breeds, it's all handled at the local level, usually by town or city. There's usually a rule saying that "dangerous dogs" must be kept confined or wear muzzles, but the definition of "dangerous" tends to be vague and enforcement is minimal.

For any non-US folks who may be unfamiliar (since it's coming up a lot in this thread): the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a relatively recent (1990) law that IS country-wide. It protects the rights of disabled citizens and covers a lot of areas, including service dogs, to ensure that peole who need them have access. Unfortunately, as written, the ADA's service dog section is open to widespread abuse.

Per the ADA:
1) Service dogs are not required to wear any form of vest, harness or any special identification.
2) Service dogs do not have to be tested, certified or licensed by any organization. It is perfectly legal to train your own service dog.
3) Service dogs do not have to be leashed, if the leash would interfere with their ability to perform their work, but if not leashed they must be under voice or hand signal control.
4) Service dogs can be any breed or mixed breed.
5) Service dogs must be allowed to accompany their owner any where it is reasonably safe for them to do so, and it's illegal to put them in special "dog friendly" areas, they have to have the same access as everyone else.

The only two questions anyone may legally ask are:
1) Is this a service dog required becaue of a disability?
2) What tasks is this dog trained to perform?
You may not ask these questions if the reason for the dog is obvious, like a blind person with a guide dog.

Nobody is allowed to ask what the disability is, no proof is required, and no one may challenge the dog's presence unless the dog is actively doing something wrong. Even then, most businesses (including Disney) won't risk a lawsuit by making an issue of it.

Most people (including me) make snap personal judgments about what a "real" service dog is or is not, but honestly, apart from really egregious dog behavior, you can't tell. A well-trained service dog is very unobtrusive, but they can get sick, have accidents or off days, the same way a human nurse can. It's a really murky area, and a lot of people do take advantage because they either don't care or don't understand that it's wrong.

Incomudro

I hope you are right. You are a lot more optimistic than I am. IMHO it’s much easier to enforce rules like no dogs on the furniture in a resort that bans all non-service dogs. Once you allow dogs in the lobby and common areas anyway it’s much more likely to have abuse and I also think some owners will see it as more of a grey area. It’s against the rules but look how cute my dog is, he’s not hurting anyone sitting on the couch. Unless they actually hire more CMs to enforce the rules with that extra cash coming in from the pet fees I don’t see it getting better.

Additionally, many small breeds of dogs - arguably the dogs that are going to be more commonly visiting WDW - are lap dogs.
They are likely on the furniture at home. Which is fine, because they are at home.
I believe that it is reasonable to assume that few owners selectively enforce what furniture the dogs are allowed on.
So, when such dogs go to WDW they are going to jump up onto whatever their owner sits down on, or lies on.
That's not the dogs fault, it's been conditioned - rewarded to do that.
Do you think such owners are going to keep their dogs off of the furniture at WDW?
Do you think may of the dogs would even understand?

i

Incomudro

I was in Epcot on Tuesday and there was an accident. There was a dog, that had no indication of it being a service dog was minding its own business when all of a sudden it decided to go to the bathroom. It took a massive doodoo and then began walking! There were about 5 CMs involved in the cleanup. They covered everything with towels. It was an absolute mess. Owner and dog quickly vanished.
View attachment 240112 View attachment 240114

Lovely.

Chernaboggles

This. Exactly! We are already booked at POR before this test policy came along. I feel betrayed and upset. I am going through all the things you mentioned. We absolutely love POR, but are contemplating going to a different nondog resort. It is not as easy as, "just go to the other 20 resorts", as some make it out to be. It is your vacation which costs thousands of dollars, so you want to stay where you love to be, and it doesn't matter what the reason is. If you want to be there, that should be it. No need to quantify why you do.
Now WDW has added the dog situation into the mix. So, we don't know what we will do. POR has been a wonderful fixture of our vacations for years with many wonderful memories with the kids/ grandkids. Can't quantify that!
I can only hope that this trial doesn't fly and goes away!

If you think about all the things that might go wrong on any vacation, you'll never take one. It's always a gamble. Bad weather, bedbugs, someone gets sick, wild loud neighbors, line-jumping tour groups...with so many people at WDW there's always going to be some risk that your vacation will be negatively impacted. Having dog-friendly rooms at POR might raise the odds of an issue a little, but if you've gone enough to have years of POR memories, you've probably weathered minor (or major!) inconveniences in the past. If Disney has earned any credit with you over all those great vacations, give them a shot and hope for the best. Just be ready to insist that they make good if something actually does go wrong. I think CMs on site faced with a specific issue are generaly much more responsive than CMs on the phone talking about possible ones.

Tony the Tigger

They should probably just install chips in the sofas. It worked for the soda machines;)

That was really funny! :)

Mark Buehrle retired in 2015, as a Blue Jay. He found his three years in Toronto to be “draining” without his family. Ontario also has a pit bull ban, so Mark left his family and family pet in Florida, where pit bulls are completely legal.

Bananas and eggplants are both technically fruits; nonetheless, only one of those is joining my peanut butter in a sandwich for lunch today.

I heart pb&b sammiches. Especially on Arnold “health nut” bread (toasted) which somehow brings a chocolates flavor out of something.

Now there will be more of it.
We see how Disney confronts bad behavior, they essentially don't.

I don’t think I could care less, even with shock collar reinforcement.

I was in Epcot on Tuesday and there was an accident. There was a dog, that had no indication of it being a service dog was minding its own business when all of a sudden it decided to go to the bathroom. It took a massive doodoo and then began walking! There were about 5 CMs involved in the cleanup. They covered everything with towels. It was an absolute mess. Owner and dog quickly vanished.
View attachment 240112 View attachment 240114

And the end result is...

No big deal.

John park hopper

Incomudro I agree wth your following post:
They are likely on the furniture at home. Which is fine, because they are at home.
I believe that it is reasonable to assume that few owners selectively enforce what furniture the dogs are allowed on.
So, when such dogs go to WDW they are going to jump up onto whatever their owner sits down on, or lies on.
Do you think such owners are going to keep their dogs off of the furniture at WDW?

That was the point of my earlier post. Has WDW posted what their specific cleaning policy will be in dog allowed rooms will ALL bedding be changed, will furniture be sanitized, will rooms be inspected for fleas, will rooms be deodorized. It is not just small dogs on furniture, as I posted my Golden tries to get on the bed, couch --not allowed. Will all guests have that policy and short of caging the dogs in the room dogs will be dogs, sleeping on the floor or a nice soft bed I'm betting their going for the bed.

i[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Incomudro

That was really funny! :)

I heart pb&b sammiches. Especially on Arnold “health nut” bread (toasted) which somehow brings a chocolates flavor out of something.

I don’t think I could care less, even with shock collar reinforcement.

And the end result is...

No big deal.
Actually, it was a big deal.
It's disgusting, and shouldn't happen in the park.

21stamps

It looks like it is legal for all counties outside of Miami-Dade.

Miami-Dade, the most populous area of Florida by far... and pretty much every highrise in Florida...and many HoA’s all over Florida.. which for people who aren’t familiar, HoAs and mid/high rises are extremely common in several areas of Florida.

Just wanted to point out that the sentence about Florida isn’t really painting an accurate picture of the state. There’s enough inaccuracies in this thread.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Incomudro I agree wth your following post:

That was the point of my earlier post. Has WDW posted what their specific cleaning policy will be in dog allowed rooms will ALL bedding be changed, will furniture be sanitized, will rooms be inspected for fleas, will rooms be deodorized. It is not just small dogs on furniture, as I posted my Golden tries to get on the bed, couch --not allowed. Will all guests have that policy and short of caging the dogs in the room dogs will be dogs, sleeping on the floor or a nice soft bed I'm betting their going for the bed.

i
[/QUOTE]
The LA Times article had a quote from Disney saying they have a thorough cleaning process. No specifics.

Portorleans.org had an update on October 14 that said the rooms will receive a more thorough cleaning at departure including carpet and upholstery cleaning.

Those are the only places I’ve seen additional room cleaning referenced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom