4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

disneygeek90

Miami-Dade, the most populous area of Florida by far... and pretty much every highrise in Florida...and many HoA’s all over Florida.. which for people who aren’t familiar, HoAs and mid/high rises are extremely common in several areas of Florida.

Just wanted to point out that the sentence about Florida isn’t really painting an accurate picture of the state. There’s enough inaccuracies in this thread.
One county out of how many in Florida? I think it's fairly safe to suggest that Florida overall is a "breed-friendly" state. To point out that ONE county (not even within WDW territory) doesn't is kind of a moot point. HOA's is an entirely different conversation, and not related to Florida's legislation. That's like me claiming Florida bans cats, dogs and fish because my Apartment complex doesn't allow them.

disnyfan89

Actually, it was a big deal.
It's disgusting, and shouldn't happen in the park.

Agreed, just like kids shouldn't pee their pants on a ride or while in line cause they couldn't hold it; or a guest throws up on a ride and runs to the bathroom or nearest trash can leaving the mess behind without telling a CM or even apologizing. You're right! It is disgusting. And yet I have seen more human created messes and bodily fluids left by guests then I ever care to when I worked at Disney and never once had to clean up after a service animal! Accidents happen... everyone poops and everyone has crapped their pants. Facts of life my friend.

21stamps

One county out of how many in Florida? I think it's fairly safe to suggest that Florida overall is a "breed-friendly" state. To point out that ONE county (not even within WDW territory) doesn't is kind of a moot point. HOA's is an entirely different conversation, and not related to Florida's legislation. That's like me claiming Florida bans cats, dogs and fish because my Apartment complex doesn't allow them.

More like pointing out that those type of dogs aren’t just running around everywhere.. many areas do not allow them.. has nothing to do with state level legislation.

Chernaboggles

Agreed, just like kids shouldn't pee their pants on a ride or while in line cause they couldn't hold it; or a guest throws up on a ride and runs to the bathroom or nearest trash can leaving the mess behind without telling a CM or even apologizing. You're right! It is disgusting. And yet I have seen more human created messes and bodily fluids left by guests then I ever care to when I worked at Disney and never once had to clean up after a service animal! Accidents happen... everyone poops and everyone has crapped their pants. Facts of life my friend.

THIS. Sure, it's gross that a dog had an accident, but things happen. Even a well-trained service dog can get sick and have an accident, and lord knows people can be gross in the parks. From the photos, the thing that stands out to me is not that something disgusting happened, it's that a bunch of CMs immediately swooped in to clean it up and set things back to rights. That's the kind of thing that sets Disney apart from other resorts.

Even if we assume all guests with dogs have been awful in the past and will always be awful in the future, clearly Disney has been handling things well enough so far, or nobody talking about upcoming trips would be planning to go back.

disneygeek90

More like pointing out that those type of dogs aren’t just running around everywhere.. many areas do not allow them.. has nothing to do with state level legislation.
But they are legally own able. The OP was asking if we had legislation in place that made it illegal to own certain breeds, and therefore illegal to be in WDW. The answer to that, in every county in the state but one, is no. What certain HOA's do is their business. HOA's also don't let you paint your house hot pink, but hot pink is still a legal color in the state of Florida for those not in HOA restricted areas.

21stamps

But they are legally own able. The OP was asking if we had legislation in place that made it illegal to own certain breeds, and therefore illegal to be in WDW. The answer to that, in every county in the state but one, is no. What certain HOA's do is their business. HOA's also don't let you paint your house hot pink, but hot pink is still a legal color in the state of Florida for those not in HOA restricted areas.

No the US does not have “illegal breeds” as a law.

The statement said that pit bulls are legal in Florida. This is not true in all counties. Therefore, they’re not legal in all of Florida, and it’s one more piece of several pieces of wrong info in this thread.
The post wasn’t meant to be a huge deal, just wanted to offer an accurate piece of info.

disneygeek90

No the US does not have “illegal breeds” as a law.

The statement said that pit bulls are legal in Florida. This is not true in all counties. Therefore, they’re not legal in all of Florida, and it’s one more piece of several pieces of wrong info in this thread.
Barring one county... I can't believe you are actually trying to act as if the claim is that far fetched.

21stamps

Barring one county... I can't believe you are actually trying to act as if the claim is that far fetched.

Omg it isn’t just one county.. it is many areas in Florida.. and even where they are allowed there are many restrictions on where they can go in public.
I know logic isn’t supposed to be used here, but they aren’t as common as people think. Even less common to be a dog seen at a hotel.

Let the hysteria continue though.
Mean dogs.
Owners who haven’t trained their dogs.
Dogs on furniture everywhere.
Dogs peeing and pooping on furniture.
Dogs peeing and pooping all over the resort grounds.
Dogs attacking people.
Everyone bent over in allergy fits.
Lawsuits against people and Disney over dogs.
I may have missed one or two..
All of it ignoring that a ton of hotels have been doing this for years already, quite successfully.

Minthorne

And the end result is...

No big deal.

I just know if I were walking around Disney looking up and enjoying all the sights and I stepped in a pile of dog poop it would be at least a medium size deal. And by the number of paper towels spread out in the pictures it either was a dog that really had a lot of poops or there was at least one squishy step leaving a trail and some nice smelly dog poop in the treads of your shoes on vacation. Second thought - maybe medium and a half deal? :cool:

21stamps

I’m one of those that’s been essentially chased away. There’s no joy in the boards when they are allowed to be dominated like this.
Right.

Because wild fantasies are so much more constructive than what is actually reality.

Here’s a read for everyone who has never heard of or is now suddenly concerned with the presence of dogs. Maybe somehow you’ve personally avoided staying in all major hotel chain locations that allow pets, like the Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt etc families. You could probably go to TripAdvisor and read reviews of those horrid hotels yourself.

In fact, 51% of U.S. hotels allow pets, according to a 2016 survey by the American Hotel & Lodging Association. Properties are even offering many benefits for their guests traveling with pets, such as special menus, food and water bowls upon arrival, and chew toys.

Some properties, like those belonging to the Hotel Indigo brand, have their own permanent pet residents for guests to interact with. The brand is pet-friendly and provides amenities such as water bowls and dog beds.

But along with the added value for guests can be safety concerns for hoteliers if a pet bolts from a room, noise issues if there is excessive barking, and the mess and destruction of FF&E that could accompany a stay by man's best friend.

"Most of the time, people who travel with their pets have pretty well-trained animals and are very careful, but you have to have policies in place to deal with problems that can come up," said Tom Waithe, senior director of operations for Kimpton Hotels in the Pacific Northwest and Mountain regions and GM of the 189-room Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle.

All of Kimpton's 66 hotels in the United States, Caribbean and Amsterdam allow pets and have pet welcome programs, Waithe said. For instance, the Monaco Seattle property provides a dog bed and two bowls for guests, a six-item doggie room service menu, and even has two toy chests in the hotel--one for children and one for dogs.

Here are some ways hotel managers deal with potential pet problems and what they recommend to others in the industry.

Provide guests with pet information
Since guests may not know where everything is in a city, the Monaco Seattle hotel provides an information sheet that shows where people can walk their dogs, as well as a list of pet stores, babysitting services and area vets, Waithe said.

The Hotel Indigo Denver Downtown has a designated grassy area across the street for guests to walk their dogs, said GM Amy Healy. At any given time, there are two or three guest dogs staying at the 180-room property.

Healy's own golden retriever, 11-year-old Barkly, comes to work with her as an hotel "ambassador," who hangs out in the lobby and greets guests. The property offers a package for dog owners that includes use of a bowl, poop bags, a credit to a pet salon and treats.

Explain possible charges
There will be fees imposed if there is damage to a room, and guests need to understand this when they check-in, sources said. The specific amount usually depends on any damage caused to a room.

Healy said one time a guest had an ill dog who was defecating and throwing up in the hotel room, resulting in linens and carpeting that had to be replaced. The guest was charged $500 for this damage to the room.

Guests sign a pet agreement when they check-in, and they must abide by its terms, said Shane Stocker, GM at the 118-unit Home2Suites by Hilton in Fayetteville, N.C. The brand overall is pet-friendly and limits pets to two per suite with a maximum weight limit that varies by hotel.

If there are damages to a room, the hotel will take pictures and create a report documenting whatever items were destroyed or ruined, he said.

Have a contact phone number for human guests
Hoteliers said they will always get a cell phone number to reach a guest when they are out of the hotel in case there is a problem with their pet or if they’re disturbing other guests.

"If we have dogs barking excessively, we will call the guest and ask that this be remedied immediately," Stocker said.

The 100-unit Home2Suites in D'Iberville, Miss. asks guests to give them two ways to contact them if there should be a concern with their pets, said GM Victoria Littles.

Extra room cleaning
Hotels will deep-clean rooms where guests have been with pets, shampooing the carpet and providing a special cleaner for the furniture, Waithe said. The same is true at Stocker's hotel, where rooms will be steam-cleaned and carpets shampooed.

Consider imposing an upfront surcharge
A total of 35% of hotels that allow pets charge a fee to help cover the costs of extra cleanings, according to the 2016 AHLA survey.

Hotel Indigo properties charge a fee. At Healy's hotel, the pet fee per stay is $100, she said. Home2Suites by Hilton also imposes a fee that varies by property. At both Stocker's and Littles' hotels, the fee is $75 per pet.

Set parameters for housekeeping staff and guests
Waithe said guests who travel with their pets must hang a sign when they leave the room, since housekeeping won't enter the room when the dog is in the room.

"If you want maid service, you can't leave the dog in the room when it is being serviced," he said.

Healy said the hotel will let a guest know when the room will be cleaned, so that a traveler can take out the pet. If that time doesn't work, an alternate time will be offered that is more convenient for the guest.

"We won't allow more than one day without cleaning the room," Healy said.

There also can be issues with employees who are scared or allergic to dogs. Two housekeepers at Littles' hotel are afraid of dogs, and she has resolved this by making sure those staffers are not assigned to clean rooms where animals are staying.

At the Home2Suites in Fayetteville, the pets needs to be in a crate or vacated when a suite is being serviced.

"Too much can happen when you have a loose pet in a room and a vacuum cleaner going," Stocker said.

AEfx

Why is it not relevant when the discussion is whether dog's should be allowed on property and someone said no because they're animals? So are humans, so surely then that makes that persons statement irrelevant, no? This isn't a discussion on whether dogs can pay their own boarding fee or holiday cost, it's about whether people are happy for dogs to stay on Disney property.

I'm not bothered either way. Just letting this person know that the comment is irrelevant due to dogs AND humans being animals :)

OMG, is this really what this thread has devolved into?

Pedantic. Look it up.

In general conversation, pretty much everywhere but an actual scientific paper, one does not have to specify "human" vs. "non-human animals".

WDW was built and designed for "human animals". It was not built and designed for "non-human animals", with the exceptions of the kennels which were built off of the main parking lots because the only people who would even consider bringing dogs to the resort used to be day visitors passing through.

Incomudro

The park is designed for humans.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Right.

Because wild fantasies are so much more constructive than what is actually reality.

Here’s a read for everyone who has never heard of or is now suddenly concerned with the presence of dogs. Maybe somehow you’ve personally avoided staying in all major hotel chain locations that allow pets, like the Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt etc families. You could probably go to TripAdvisor and read reviews of those horrid hotels yourself.

In fact, 51% of U.S. hotels allow pets, according to a 2016 survey by the American Hotel & Lodging Association. Properties are even offering many benefits for their guests traveling with pets, such as special menus, food and water bowls upon arrival, and chew toys.

Some properties, like those belonging to the Hotel Indigo brand, have their own permanent pet residents for guests to interact with. The brand is pet-friendly and provides amenities such as water bowls and dog beds.

But along with the added value for guests can be safety concerns for hoteliers if a pet bolts from a room, noise issues if there is excessive barking, and the mess and destruction of FF&E that could accompany a stay by man's best friend.

"Most of the time, people who travel with their pets have pretty well-trained animals and are very careful, but you have to have policies in place to deal with problems that can come up," said Tom Waithe, senior director of operations for Kimpton Hotels in the Pacific Northwest and Mountain regions and GM of the 189-room Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle.

All of Kimpton's 66 hotels in the United States, Caribbean and Amsterdam allow pets and have pet welcome programs, Waithe said. For instance, the Monaco Seattle property provides a dog bed and two bowls for guests, a six-item doggie room service menu, and even has two toy chests in the hotel--one for children and one for dogs.

Here are some ways hotel managers deal with potential pet problems and what they recommend to others in the industry.

Provide guests with pet information
Since guests may not know where everything is in a city, the Monaco Seattle hotel provides an information sheet that shows where people can walk their dogs, as well as a list of pet stores, babysitting services and area vets, Waithe said.

The Hotel Indigo Denver Downtown has a designated grassy area across the street for guests to walk their dogs, said GM Amy Healy. At any given time, there are two or three guest dogs staying at the 180-room property.

Healy's own golden retriever, 11-year-old Barkly, comes to work with her as an hotel "ambassador," who hangs out in the lobby and greets guests. The property offers a package for dog owners that includes use of a bowl, poop bags, a credit to a pet salon and treats.

Explain possible charges
There will be fees imposed if there is damage to a room, and guests need to understand this when they check-in, sources said. The specific amount usually depends on any damage caused to a room.

Healy said one time a guest had an ill dog who was defecating and throwing up in the hotel room, resulting in linens and carpeting that had to be replaced. The guest was charged $500 for this damage to the room.

Guests sign a pet agreement when they check-in, and they must abide by its terms, said Shane Stocker, GM at the 118-unit Home2Suites by Hilton in Fayetteville, N.C. The brand overall is pet-friendly and limits pets to two per suite with a maximum weight limit that varies by hotel.

If there are damages to a room, the hotel will take pictures and create a report documenting whatever items were destroyed or ruined, he said.

Have a contact phone number for human guests
Hoteliers said they will always get a cell phone number to reach a guest when they are out of the hotel in case there is a problem with their pet or if they’re disturbing other guests.

"If we have dogs barking excessively, we will call the guest and ask that this be remedied immediately," Stocker said.

The 100-unit Home2Suites in D'Iberville, Miss. asks guests to give them two ways to contact them if there should be a concern with their pets, said GM Victoria Littles.

Extra room cleaning
Hotels will deep-clean rooms where guests have been with pets, shampooing the carpet and providing a special cleaner for the furniture, Waithe said. The same is true at Stocker's hotel, where rooms will be steam-cleaned and carpets shampooed.

Consider imposing an upfront surcharge
A total of 35% of hotels that allow pets charge a fee to help cover the costs of extra cleanings, according to the 2016 AHLA survey.

Hotel Indigo properties charge a fee. At Healy's hotel, the pet fee per stay is $100, she said. Home2Suites by Hilton also imposes a fee that varies by property. At both Stocker's and Littles' hotels, the fee is $75 per pet.

Set parameters for housekeeping staff and guests
Waithe said guests who travel with their pets must hang a sign when they leave the room, since housekeeping won't enter the room when the dog is in the room.

"If you want maid service, you can't leave the dog in the room when it is being serviced," he said.

Healy said the hotel will let a guest know when the room will be cleaned, so that a traveler can take out the pet. If that time doesn't work, an alternate time will be offered that is more convenient for the guest.

"We won't allow more than one day without cleaning the room," Healy said.

There also can be issues with employees who are scared or allergic to dogs. Two housekeepers at Littles' hotel are afraid of dogs, and she has resolved this by making sure those staffers are not assigned to clean rooms where animals are staying.

At the Home2Suites in Fayetteville, the pets needs to be in a crate or vacated when a suite is being serviced.

"Too much can happen when you have a loose pet in a room and a vacuum cleaner going," Stocker said.
This is good information. I don’t think too many people are disputing that some other hotels allow dogs. If they are then I agree with you, they are misinformed.

I know I said this before but WDW is a different animal. These are not just standard hotels. People have very strong (possibly irrational) attachments to the resorts at WDW. Someone may not care if a Motel 6 off the highway or a Boutique hotel somewhere else allows dogs because they have nothing invested in those places. If they want to avoid dogs they just stay in the next hotel down. They also are much less likely to be spending thousands on a vacation in those hotels. This is one of the reasons you are seeing what you perceive as over the top strong negative reactions to this policy compared to other hotels.

Another issue is logistics. WDW hotels operate above 90% capacity. Trust me when I say this is not very common in the industry. The last report I saw the average hotel occupancy rate nationwide was just over 60%. I think some people are skeptical of Disney’s ability and/or desire to spend the extra time to clean these rooms properly when they need to turn them over fast and there is almost always someone checking in when someone checks out. 2 of these resorts are also huge (thousands of rooms). That makes logistics even more difficult if they spread the dogs out. In the article you posted one of the examples is Kimpton. They run small boutique hotels. Much different logistics. Some of the other examples they gave were also small hotels with several hundred rooms. I know there are larger resort hotels like the ones at Universal and some major Casinos that allow dogs, but the examples I have seen mostly have a designated dog section or floor. I still think Disney’s program will evolve into that as well. It just makes sense.

One final point, I have seen people do things at WDW that they would likely not do in their normal lives. People invest a lot of time and money into their vacation and they are going to do what makes them happy. I don’t trust my fellow guests to follow the dog rules set and act responsibly. I’m basing that on experience with other things at WDW not related at all to dogs. If they don’t have a locked down set of simplifies rules that they are actively enforcing things may get out of hand.

I actually think if they made a few simple changes that this could all actually be mostly a non-issue for the majority of guests.
  1. Designate specific dog rooms in a specific dog section and only allow dogs to stay in those rooms. If they all sell out, stay somewhere else. This eliminates most of the issues around allergies and general stress over getting a “dog room” with odors or hair or fleas or whatever people are worried about.
  2. Don’t allow unattended dogs in the rooms
  3. Restrict dogs from indoor public spaces - takes care of the rest of the allergy issues and ensures anyone who wants to avoid dogs that they can (at least indoors).

Pixieish

They probably have to supply proof/certification to claim a dog is a service dog....

The resorts are not allowed to ask for proof per federal law. Which, in my opinion, is ridiculous. As I stated earlier, the feds need to fix the law so that ID for service animals cannot be faked, and make it okay for businesses to ask to see said animal's certification.

disnyfan89

The park is designed for humans.

Yup, including Humans that fall under and are protected by the ADA which includes humans who need the assistance from service animals. Which include designing in Service Animal relief stations. So I guess you can say the parks are designed to accommodate these animals as well.

And before you even try it, yes, the animals should be using the designated relief stations/bathroom but so should little Timmy who decided to pee his pants cause he got too excited riding small world 5 times in a row...

Humans, they make a mess I tell you.:hungover:

21stamps

This is good information. I don’t think too many people are disputing that some other hotels allow dogs. If they are then I agree with you, they are misinformed.

I know I said this before but WDW is a different animal. These are not just standard hotels. People have very strong (possibly irrational) attachments to the resorts at WDW. Someone may not care if a Motel 6 off the highway or a Boutique hotel somewhere else allows dogs because they have nothing invested in those places. If they want to avoid dogs they just stay in the next hotel down. They also are much less likely to be spending thousands on a vacation in those hotels. This is one of the reasons you are seeing what you perceive as over the top strong negative reactions to this policy compared to other hotels.

Another issue is logistics. WDW hotels operate above 90% capacity. Trust me when I say this is not very common in the industry. The last report I saw the average hotel occupancy rate nationwide was just over 60%. I think some people are skeptical of Disney’s ability and/or desire to spend the extra time to clean these rooms properly when they need to turn them over fast and there is almost always someone checking in when someone checks out. 2 of these resorts are also huge (thousands of rooms). That makes logistics even more difficult if they spread the dogs out. In the article you posted one of the examples is Kimpton. They run small boutique hotels. Much different logistics. Some of the other examples they gave were also small hotels with several hundred rooms. I know there are larger resort hotels like the ones at Universal and some major Casinos that allow dogs, but the examples I have seen mostly have a designated dog section or floor. I still think Disney’s program will evolve into that as well. It just makes sense.

One final point, I have seen people do things at WDW that they would likely not do in their normal lives. People invest a lot of time and money into their vacation and they are going to do what makes them happy. I don’t trust my fellow guests to follow the dog rules set and act responsibly. I’m basing that on experience with other things at WDW not related at all to dogs. If they don’t have a locked down set of simplifies rules that they are actively enforcing things may get out of hand.

I actually think if they made a few simple changes that this could all actually be mostly a non-issue for the majority of guests.
  1. Designate specific dog rooms in a specific dog section and only allow dogs to stay in those rooms. If they all sell out, stay somewhere else. This eliminates most of the issues around allergies and general stress over getting a “dog room” with odors or hair or fleas or whatever people are worried about.
  2. Don’t allow unattended dogs in the rooms
  3. Restrict dogs from indoor public spaces - takes care of the rest of the allergy issues and ensures anyone who wants to avoid dogs that they can (at least indoors).

Oh trust me, I’m well aware of the entitlement people feel when at Walt Disney World. It’s almost impossible to avoid.

A Vegas hotel stated their exact policy’s.. a few others do as well.. many don’t.
I think the “I’ve never traveled with my pet, but know everything about pet friendly hotels” comments from a lot of posters are amusing.. but if you read the article I posted, it pretty much meshes with what all other dog owners-who travel with their dogs people have said in this thread.

People can choose to ignore all of that.. and keep pretending that not only is Disney the most expensive destination, and the only family one, it’s also about to be invaded by hundreds of horrible dogs...and that Hiltons, Marriott, Hyatt, W, Four Seasons, etc etc etc, are all small boutique hotels.
Cheers to over-exaggerating :)

I’ll say something about Kimpton though, since you chose to focus on them and ignore the major chains. If you’ve ever stayed at one, or know someone who has, ask them if the resort was overrun with pets..and if their room smelled like one. You would have a greater chance at any of the above in a hotel with under 200 rooms where all are pet friendly. Given the popularity of their hotels, I somehow doubt that you’ll hear too many of those stories.

How often do we hear of issues at any of these hotels? How many bad reviews are written about hotels that allow dogs?
(Rhetorical questions- I’m hoping that maybe, possibly, someone may actually stop to think about it)

I do have one favor to ask.. if anyone cancels a standard room at BC, or a preferred room at POR for 11/16, please let me know ASAP. I’ll take your room for 2 nights. :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom